Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What was learned from the Combine? What players we like are now out of reach from 15?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Because why spend a pick on a position where you have less of a need when there are elite players at positions you DO need?

Would you argue to take Teddy Bridgewater if he fell?

As an 8-8 team, you have some places where you have significant needs. If you have a top 15 pick, you have an opportunity to get someone special, and likely at a position you really need.

IMO, the need is ILB, NT, FS, CB, WR, in that order, with o-linemen closely following. If all the elite ILB, NT, FS and CB are gone, then I take a WR. I can get another Cotchery in FA for cheap, if needed and be very successful. Those other positions are pricey.
    I guess my point is that as fans, we see talent, we see tape, we watch the combine, and we make our evaluations. The FO goes into much further depth. They meet with these people individually and get to know them...who they are as people, their understanding of the game, their desire to play the game and to do so for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They see personality and attitude. They have position coaches talk to them about their understanding and ability to do what they want them to do.

So, as fans, we might have Mike Evans rated as an 8.5, and CJ Mosley rated as an 8.4, and think that we need ILB more so take Mosley. But I believe that the FO decides that they absolutely love a guy and if he is there then they take him. I think that is why they seem to never trade back, despite the fact that there may be many similarly rated players, in areas of need, around where they are picking. I believe that this happened with Timmons. There were at least 5 acceptable picks who we could have gone for at 15 that year, but the team held tight and went with Timmons. Perhaps they did trt and could not find a partner, but I believe that this team would rather ensure themselves that they get their guy than take one of a number of guys a few picks later in order to get an extra pick. I may be wrong, but that is my thinking on how they operate.

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Just based on the way the Steelers and Ben play offense a second TE would be wasting the 1.15 draft pick, IMHO. With him and Miller on the field, Ben is leaning on Miller his security blanket, Haley didn't really institute much two TE offense like the Pats or others. If Ebron is the heir apparent to Miller, I would wait a year to draft his replacement. Only a punter, kicker, long snapper or quarterback would be below a TE for me, just my opinion though. If Ebron gets drafted, I'd want him to be an All-pro for the Steelers for the next decade and won't carry an agenda against him because I didn't want him drafted.

Pappy
    While I really would rather not use the first pick on aTE,I could see merit in doing so. Heath can still play and probably can for a good 2-3 years. Pairing him with Ebron would create some match up nightmares for opposing D's. Haley hasn't instituted two TE sets because,quite frankly,he's never had two Good TE's. It's been Heath and junk.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    While I really would rather not use the first pick on aTE,I could see merit in doing so. Heath can still play and probably can for a good 2-3 years. Pairing him with Ebron would create some match up nightmares for opposing D's. Haley hasn't instituted two TE sets because,quite frankly,he's never had two Good TE's. It's been Heath and junk.
    You hit the nail on the head. We have never had two good TEs and we saw the impact when Heath was hurt last year---our TEs did nothing and that seriously hurt our offense in multiple phases of the game.

Put a player like Ebron with Heath you both create match up nightmares but you groom your next 10 year TE.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer
    I wasn't high on a TE in the 1st pre-combine. Ebron moved up my board though. If he is BPA at #15...I have no problem taking him. If he is the "big body" needed...He will just be the flex TE while Miller remains. He definately isn't ready to be a fulltime inline TE...But He has some years to learn. If the Steelers are sure they could use him as a flex & get him on the field anytime they go to a 1 RB set...I'm in. If not...I don't want our 15th pick burried on the depth chart & only see the field in redzone-short yardage 3 TE sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. We have never had two good TEs and we saw the impact when Heath was hurt last year---our TEs did nothing and that seriously hurt our offense in multiple phases of the game.

Put a player like Ebron with Heath you both create match up nightmares but you groom your next 10 year TE.
    Could you imagine Ebron,Heath and Bell in the redzone?

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Could you imagine Ebron,Heath and Bell in the redzone?
    Can you imagine the other team in our red zone? Just sayin...

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Pappy
    Yes... It's called: "Automatic 7"

Legend

Pappy
    And what defensive pick in 2014 will prevent that from happening? They still won't play just like J Jones and Shark Thomas. The only reason Vince Williams saw the field on regular downs was because Foote was hurt and we had no other ILBs.

We need people who will be on the field not observers.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend

Pappy

And getting lots of rookies in this draft will change that how? Do you really think they play? Do you really think Nix at NT prevents us giving up a league leading number of plays over 40 yards?

If we were talking about adding Free Agent players to the defense count me as all in, but lets not delude ourselves that LeBeau is going to change his modus operandi all of a sudden.

Everyone was drooling over J Jones thinking he was going to break the norm coming from his background with his tremendous talent. Result: Watch from the sideline!

Many thought "Shark" Thomas would be on the field because of his talent and Clark's slipping performance. Result: Resign Will Allen, watch from the sideline!

Many will bring up, Vince Williams but he only played because Foote was hurt and there was no one else.

Sorry but drafting defense in 2014 will change nothing because the guy in charge won't change.

Legend

Pappy
    I have a hard time imaging our team tackling anyone in the RedZone before they get to the EndZone.