Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OLine

Legend

OLine

Wonder if we'll see any major changes in the Oline with Munchak. I personally think a lot of guys are playing out of position and we could get a lot more by moving players around.

Personally, I'd like to see left to right - Beachum, DD, Pouncey, Foster, and Adams

I think that grouping would set us up to blow people up running to the right behind our biggest Olinemen in Foster and Adams with the athletic DD and Pouncey pulling right. And Beachum gives us enough hustle to keep Ben's blindside relatively clean.

As it stands today, I don't think Foster is quick enough to ever be a threat to pull. And I don't see DD and Gilbert as road graders helping our RBs run right which should be Bell's preferred direction to run given he's right handed.

I'd also be interested to see if we could keep Brown for a minimal contract and try him out on the right side because he's a big powerful man who much like Adams could give us a big lift on the right side.

I don't think moving everyone around makes any sense. Seems extremely counter-productive, IMO.

they were playing well as a unit the 2nd half of last year. The best option seems to be to let munchak try to improve on that, IMO. You would like to think pouncey coming back will be an immediate upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Wonder if we'll see any major changes in the Oline with Munchak. I personally think a lot of guys are playing out of position and we could get a lot more by moving players around.

Personally, I'd like to see left to right - Beachum, DD, Pouncey, Foster, and Adams

I think that grouping would set us up to blow people up running to the right behind our biggest Olinemen in Foster and Adams with the athletic DD and Pouncey pulling right. And Beachum gives us enough hustle to keep Ben's blindside relatively clean.

As it stands today, I don't think Foster is quick enough to ever be a threat to pull. And I don't see DD and Gilbert as road graders helping our RBs run right which should be Bell's preferred direction to run given he's right handed.

I'd also be interested to see if we could keep Brown for a minimal contract and try him out on the right side because he's a big powerful man who much like Adams could give us a big lift on the right side.

I hear what your saying flippy. Change the O-line for the last and final time by getting every starter in their best possible position. I'm sure that is where Munchak will place them from day one of training camp.
    It is time to put D.D. on the left side, now that he has some starting experience. He belongs there, he is the best choice to help Beachum protect Ben's blind side; he's already strong and smart enough to handle the best pass rushers most teams will throw at him. And if that is not enough, he is one of the most athletic linemen on the team. It makes sense to me, that is the first thing I would do if I was Munchak.
    Last edited by ShastaTwist; 02-25-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Nah. Leave em as is.. DD is a RG. He is more than capable of pulling to the left on plays called to the left side.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

I posted in another thread I think Munchak will coach up the guys we have and it will be Adams, Beachum, Pouncey, Decastro, Gilbert. With Fernando back up C/G and Foster back up G/RT. It will be interesting what Munchak does with this O-line. Excited for camp.

I think there will be your usual competitions. Especially, if Munchak can get Adams playing adequately at LT. Tomlin is on record as saying they are happy with Beachum as their LT though, so Adams could just try and beat out Gilbert... Either way, we have 3 OT's battling for 2 spots and thats always a good thing. Beachum sure is versatile at any OL pos.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 02-25-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Best Case Scenario for Pittsburgh Steelers O-Line

BY LEVI COMBS - FEB 25TH, 2014

So far for the Pittsburgh Steelers, this has been a pretty quiet offseason so far, player-wise. Although it is sounding like the Steelers are going to be more active in free agency this year, those should start coming pretty soon once free agency opens up. Besides the signing of Jason Worilds to a multi-year contract and drafting a cornerback in the first round, the one thing I am looking forward to is seeing whether the Steelers bring back Fernando Velasco and Cody Wallace. With the hiring of Mike Munchak and return of Maurkice Pouncey, the starters are looking pretty set in place, but bringing back the two free agents (Velasco and Wallace) will definitely give the O-line some great depth and turn the unit into a force.

Center

I think itís obvious that Maurkice Pouncey will regain his position going into the offseason, no matter how much more recovery he has to do. I know many are wanting Pouncey to move to guard and Velasco to center because of his play in place of Pouncey, but I think thatís ridiculous. Why would you move an All Pro center to guard just because his replacement during an injury played good? You have to remember that Pouncey established himself as one of the best centers in the game in just his first 3 seasons. Now he has a hall of fame offensive line coach. Although Munchak is expected to get DeCastro going as an All Pro guard and get the young tackles playing so every ďmock draft expertĒ wonít have the Steelers picking tackle in the first round, I think he can help Pouncey become even better. Although I donít think it will happen this year, the Steelers need to focus on extending him. He is a young player whose rookie contract is expiring soon and it would be foolish for him to walk away. He is the leader of the o-line and should be for many years to come, hopefully falling in line as the next great center for the Steelers.

In order for the center position to be in really good hands, the Steelers need to bring back Fernando Velasco. I do admire him stepping up rather quickly into the o-line last year, but not enough to have him be a full time starter. If it came down to it, he can do the job, but Iím not saying get rid of Ramon Foster, move Pouncey to guard, and Velasco to center. Having him as an insurance plan would definitely be in the Steelers best interest. After all the linemen that seem to constantly go down, we will at least not have to worry about the center position.

Guard

Did anyone else sleep really good when the Steelers selected David DeCastro in the first round of the 2012 draft? Wasnít that just a moment of pure happiness and knowing that there is a possibility of the line actually protecting Big Ben? DeCastro made his force felt this season. He really showed why Steeler Nation is excited about the Steelers drafting the former Stanford guard, and now he has Mike Munchak working with him. No one will benefit more with the hiring of Munchak than DeCastro. He will show him all the tricks in the book and will certainly bring the best out of the kid. Itís a really smart move by the Steelers. Ramon Foster will benefit too, but I think Foster has hit his ceiling as a guard and will never be a Pro Bowl guard. I think this may be his last season in Steel Town, and maybe a first or second round pick in the 2015 draft could be spent on his replacement.

The backup position will probably fall to Cody Wallace. He did an admirable job replacing Velasco last season and can come back for the league minimum. It would be wise to bring him back because he is still young and could also benefit with position flexibility and working under Munchak for a couple seasons. Maybe he could earn himself a payday if he starts a couple games at guard and has good showings.

Tackle

Well, we know who will be in camp and which ones will make the roster, just not who will be starting. My guess is Gilbert starts camp on the right and Beachum starts on the left. I truly believe Beachum can and will be the future at the left tackle position. Again being a player that can benefit with the hiring of Munchak. Gilbert and Adams will most likely battle for the right tackle spot, and this may be the year that Gilbert breaks out. He played very well the second half of the season and could be due for a modest extension. That leaves Adams as the backup, and his play as a backup last season opened some eyes. I wouldnít worry with Adams as the backup as he will have another season to learn and grow as a player, trying to find where he fits on the line.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2014/02/25...eelers-o-line/

Legend
    Is Cody that crazy dude who dove on a pile? I like him if so.. he has a mean streak.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I think there will be your usual competitions. Especially, if Munchak can get Adams playing adequately at LT. Tomlin is on record as saying they are happy with Beachum as their LT though, so Adams could just try and beat out Gilbert... Either way, we have 3 OT's battling for 2 spots and thats always a good thing. Beachum sure is versatile at any OL pos.
    Tomlin is likely "happy" with Beachum because no one else can do the job. He doesn't really have much of a choice except to be "happy," however likely his best position would be to move inside to one of the Guard positions.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler
    Beachum at LG is where he should be.

In a perfect world we have Adams, Beachum, Pouncey, Decastro, Gilbert

Maybe bring back brown at a vet min, swing guard/tackle, i love foster as a backup guard as well