Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried we'll try to fill a need w/ another talented but inconsistent Buckeye in Rd 2

Legend

User Info Menu

Worried we'll try to fill a need w/ another talented but inconsistent Buckeye in Rd 2

The Steelers seem to have a warm spot in their hearts for underachieving athletic specimen from Ohio State.

We took Mike Adams in round 2 because physically he was everything you look for in an OT, and we had a need there. However, our scouts seemed to be drooling more over potential than focusing on what kind of a football player Adams was.

Now I fear we could go that route again after Bradley Roby ran a sub-4.4 at the combine and we have a need at CB. Sure he has all the physical tools, but on the field he seemed to get torched as often as Adams got beat off the edge. Hopefully they don't fall into this trap again in round 2.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldnt mind Roby in 2 or 3, at the very least he could be a FS convert

Rookie

User Info Menu

Different person, different player...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yea know, just stop it, Rooneys. First and foremost look at how a player PLAYED in FOOTBALL GAMES.

Stop thinking you can take physical skills and hone them into BECOMING a good player. If they weren't a good player, forget their measurable physical skills. There is a reason the skills didn't produce RESULTS at the lower level, and it's highly unlikely those skills will produce at the next level. Take a page out of the Jimmy Johnson and Big Tuna's book. Those guys knew what they were doing, as did the great Bill Polian. Pgh tries to get too cute. Stop it. Remember Mike Mamula and Vernon Gholston (and countless others)? Their measurable physical skills were out of this world, but they didn't really produce in college and they never produced in the NFL. As a matter of fact, they sucked.

Stick to players who were very productive on the college level. Forget thinking that you can "coach up" players who's production does not match their physical skills. Players missing desire, instincts and work ethic can't be fixed. Stop thinking you can do so. They thought they could coach up Curtis Brown to _learn_ how to play. Impossible: He sucked, he sucks, and he always will. Adams was a sloppy, lazy, unfocused OT at OSU. Nothing has changes since he has become a pro. Nothing. I think I could beat him rushing the passer. He is awful.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Yea know, just stop it, Rooneys. First and foremost look at how a player PLAYED in FOOTBALL GAMES.

Stop thinking you can take physical skills and hone them into BECOMING a good player. If they weren't a good player, forget their measurable physical skills. There is a reason the skills didn't produce RESULTS at the lower level, and it's highly unlikely those skills will produce at the next level. Take a page out of the Jimmy Johnson and Big Tuna's book. Those guys knew what they were doing, as did the great Bill Polian. Pgh tries to get too cute. Stop it. Remember Mike Mamula and Vernon Gholston (and countless others)? Their measurable physical skills were out of this world, but they didn't really produce in college and they never produced in the NFL. As a matter of fact, they sucked.

Stick to players who were very productive on the college level. Forget thinking that you can "coach up" players who's production does not match their physical skills. Players missing desire, instincts and work ethic can't be fixed. Stop thinking you can do so. They thought they could coach up Curtis Brown to _learn_ how to play. Impossible: He sucked, he sucks, and he always will. Adams was a sloppy, lazy, unfocused OT at OSU. Nothing has changes since he has become a pro. Nothing. I think I could beat him rushing the passer. He is awful.
    What happened to Jarvis Jones?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Curtis Brown didnt suck at texas, you are confusing that with him sucking now. Aaron Williams was the best player (but didnt really have a position), Curtis Brown was the best CB, and Chykie Brown was the best athlete....cant win them all i guess

Legend

User Info Menu

Ok, I'm as tough on my Buckeyes as anyone. We all know how I felt and feel about Adams. But, Roby isn't Adams. Coming into this season Roby was considered the best DB in the nation. He was the #1 DB coming out this year until he gets torched by Abberderis. I lost respect for his game after that. But, let me say this...insiders at tOSU state that the system and coaching severely limited Roby's effectiveness and the D was in chaos. Its why you seen his play worsen significantly in 2013. If that is the case, he is worth a look. But, personally I would rather have Fuller in round 2.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fuller might work his way into the first

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah after that 4.4 I'm afraid you might be right.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    What happened to Jarvis Jones?
    Last I saw, in the Cleveland game, he was terrorizing the opponent's offense. It's not unusual for a rookie to need a year to get acclimated to the NFL. Did you not realize that? JJ will end up as a very productive player. Do you think every player who ended up being good was great as a rookie? Is that your belief? Bruce Smith stunk as a rookie and he only ended up with more sacks than any other player in the history of the NFL. Did you realize that? Are you aware of that?