Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Worried we'll try to fill a need w/ another talented but inconsistent Buckeye in Rd 2

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I dont really understand the question
    Jared Abbrederis destroyed Roby when they faced each other.

if you like Roby enough to select him in Round 2, you would have to love Abbrederis in Round 3...

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I don't believe there is anyway Roby makes it past the Bengals in round 1. I highly doubt he falls to us in round 2 but if he did, I would be ok with it.
    Think the go corner AGAIN in round 1?

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Jared Abbrederis destroyed Roby when they faced each other.

if you like Roby enough to select him in Round 2, you would have to love Abbrederis in Round 3...
    Got it. He does have a lot of good tape along with some ****ty ones from last season. Hes got some unreal tools and we do love the buckeyes. I would prefer him over either of the Florida corners at this point. The buckeyes defense was straight poo last season as a whole

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I like Roby in round 2. His potential is just as high as the top guys. He had a rough season for sure. But, he has lots of good tape too.
    What I don't understand is those who like Lewan who would have a problem with Roby. IMO, they are similar types of talent...much physical skills but also had some bad games and film. Both got dominated last season...Lewan by a freshman. But, one is a top 10 pick, the other late first middle second.

Pro Bowler
    I wish we'd have a shot at Shazier in round 2...imagine timmons and shazier on an inside cross blitz

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Yea know, just stop it, Rooneys. First and foremost look at how a player PLAYED in FOOTBALL GAMES.

Stop thinking you can take physical skills and hone them into BECOMING a good player. If they weren't a good player, forget their measurable physical skills. There is a reason the skills didn't produce RESULTS at the lower level, and it's highly unlikely those skills will produce at the next level. Take a page out of the Jimmy Johnson and Big Tuna's book. Those guys knew what they were doing, as did the great Bill Polian. Pgh tries to get too cute. Stop it. Remember Mike Mamula and Vernon Gholston (and countless others)? Their measurable physical skills were out of this world, but they didn't really produce in college and they never produced in the NFL. As a matter of fact, they sucked.

Stick to players who were very productive on the college level. Forget thinking that you can "coach up" players who's production does not match their physical skills. Players missing desire, instincts and work ethic can't be fixed. Stop thinking you can do so. They thought they could coach up Curtis Brown to _learn_ how to play. Impossible: He sucked, he sucks, and he always will. Adams was a sloppy, lazy, unfocused OT at OSU. Nothing has changes since he has become a pro. Nothing. I think I could beat him rushing the passer. He is awful.
    Teams take players from college with physical skills and hone them into becoming good football players. Unfortunately, the opposite happens a lot more than teams would like. The draft isn't an exact science. Teams won't know how college players will perform at the highest level until they can evaluate them vs other professional players. I don't believe many fans realize how difficult it is to replace quality NFL players. It's one reason why I believe the Steelers chose to hang onto some of their older players longer than they would had liked in recent years.

It's funny that someone would attempt to put Johnson's and Parcell's accomplishments over what the Steelers achieved throughout their history and recent history. I doubt that anyone I know would attempt to suggest that the Steelers don't know what they are doing by attempting to get to cute.

Legend
    I wish we'd have a shot at Shazier in round 2...imagine timmons and shazier on an inside cross blitz
    My concern about Shazier is him routinely getting blown up by Guards. Not sure he is big enough for the inside. Seems more like a 4-3 OLB with his pursuits quickness.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    My concern about Shazier is him routinely getting blown up by Guards. Not sure he is big enough for the inside. Seems more like a 4-3 OLB with his pursuits quickness.
    I used to agree with this. After further review he is EXCELLENT in traffic and he disengages blocks by never really getting touched, he is very slippery once you get a hand on him.

The steelers coveted Mychal Kendricks from Cal a few years back, I could see Shazier being in the same conversation, especially if Spences longterm outlook doesnt get better.

The difference between Shazier and guys like Ernie Simms and Alec Ogletree is how difficult he is to block (Ogletree was a guy that once you got a hand on him he was out of the play), as well as hes not just straight line speed like Simms

I used to agree with this. After further review he is EXCELLENT in traffic and he disengages blocks by never really getting touched, he is very slippery once you get a hand on him.

The steelers coveted Mychal Kendricks from Cal a few years back, I could see Shazier being in the same conversation, especially if Spences longterm outlook doesnt get better.

The difference between Shazier and guys like Ernie Simms and Alec Ogletree is how difficult he is to block (Ogletree was a guy that once you got a hand on him he was out of the play), as well as hes not just straight line speed like Simms
    I agree with you and O. He is indeed slippery. He found his way through traffic to make plays. BUT, when a G gets ahold of him, he can get mauled. He has the ability to get stronger. The sky is the limit for Shazier but he is a project. He needs to get stronger, because OG's the NFL are not as easily slipped past...and him being on his backside won't help his team.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Think the go corner AGAIN in round 1?
    They took TE Eifert last year after taking TE Gresham in 2010, so they could go CB again after taking Kirkpatrick in 2012 (who hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in his time in Cincy). Terence Newman turns 36 this season, Pac Man Jones turns 31 this season, and Leon Hall turns 30 this season.