Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Take a chance on Colt Lyerla?

Legend

User Info Menu

Take a chance on Colt Lyerla?

4.61, being compared to the Gronk, but likely has serious addiction issues. I have no idea where this guy is going to fall...all over the map. CBS says 7-FA, but I know some are slotting him much much higher. Honestly, I'm not sure physically that there is a better TE in this draft. This guy is a phenom. If he is there late 5-7, would you take a chance on him?
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wont even be on their board

Bengals let gresham walk and take him as a UDFA lol

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sure you can not have Lyerla on your board. A guy that good? Personally, I wouldn't sign him unless he agreed to go to treatment. But, IMO he could be worth a late round look.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Curious to see how his combine drug test turns out? Would he come into the league in the substance abuse program?

It is a terrible waste of talent when someone does that to themseleves.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Curious to see how his combine drug test turns out? Would he come into the league in the substance abuse program?

It is a terrible waste of talent when someone does that to themseleves.
    I like your thinking. The NFL is punitive when it comes to addiction. The fact is this...if you treat addiction as a disease people get better. Give this guys some tools to stay sober and he is worth a late round look.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I like your thinking. The NFL is punitive when it comes to addiction. The fact is this...if you treat addiction as a disease people get better. Give this guys some tools to stay sober and he is worth a late round look.

I agree. What would be the worst that could happen if we pick him in the 6th Round and he wouldn't make it or play. Heck our Round 1 pick from last draft didn't really play or do anything.

Get him the help and structured environment and htake the chance. I think what would keep them away is more the PR side of it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I agree. What would be the worst that could happen if we pick him in the 6th Round and he wouldn't make it or play. Heck our Round 1 pick from last draft didn't really play or do anything.

Get him the help and structured environment and htake the chance. I think what would keep them away is more the PR side of it.
    IMO, he is worth the investment. Treatment, after care accountability with frequent testing and agreement for longer inpatient treatment if relapse occurs. If he was that good hooked on substances, how good would he be sober?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers should stay away from any players that have addiction problems.

Backup

User Info Menu

Didn't work out terribly well with Alameda Ta'amu or Chris Rainey... character concern guys = wasted picks. If he gets through to free agency, I could see putting a few bucks into a priority UDFA contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Steelers should stay away from any players that have addiction problems.
    Glad my employer stuck it out with me over 6 years ago when I needed treatment for addiction issues. Glad my current employer actually considers my recovery an asset. Addiction properly treated can actually be an asset in someone's life. If the Steelers used this as an opportunity to invest in a talented addict, I would be excited to give him a chance.
    Trolls are people too.