Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everyone seems to hates this idea but.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Everyone seems to hates this idea but.....

Why not trade back in the 1st and still grab a WR/CB/TE/FS/NT/DE in the first and pick up another draft pick? That is as long as no one falls to 15 not expected to be there that the Steelers could not pass on. Is there a position that the Steelers can get the #1 rated guy at 15 and is that what they want at 15? I am not sure. What if the WR/CB/TE/FS/NT/DE the Steelers really want would be there later then 15 but not in rd 2 pick? Grab the other position in the 2nd that is still rated a 1st rd prospect? Or a prospect that falls out of the first but would be a GREAT value pick in rd 2? That could also add a nice higher pick at any position if other worthy guys fall to the extra pick say in the 3rd? I still wonder with all the depth talk in this draft and the reloading mode this team is in. If that is not the best plan to reload and make the offense even better at the same time? I did not look at the formula for trading to see what we could even get. But it just seems like such a good idea with all this depth talk and the fact some guys will get over drafted and others drop. That drop down and extra pick could even make a jump up in a lower rd a good idea or easier decision to make.

Starter

User Info Menu

I don't hate it. You need to be flexible and open-minded when drafting. If you're sitting at 15, and no one falls in your lap and everything else is a reach, why not trade back, get extra picks, and take advantage of what everyone calls a deep draft.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I love the idea of trading back this year

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think anyone hates that. "Trading back" is frankly something I hear all the time. The thing is, no one wants to necessarily trade up to 15. On a similar note though, I do think we should consider trading players (i.e. guys who's contracts may be coming up, who will command big money next year), for picks in this draft. I hear people mention Pouncey in this regard a lot, but I think it makes sense in this case if we can get good value for him, in terms of a draft pick.

It hurts a lot, not having a 3rd round pick (other than possible compensatory).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I don't think anyone hates that. "Trading back" is frankly something I hear all the time. The thing is, no one wants to necessarily trade up to 15.
    That's it... you need a parter to dance with.

This is an ideal draft to trade back and maybe pick up a 3rd rounder... Lots of talent there.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

normally i'm against it when drafting this high (which we rarely seem to do)

but this year i feel the draft is deep enough to do it and still come out with a great player

Legend

User Info Menu

if the clowns dont take johnny football with the 4th pick, and he slides a bit. i'd give them #15 for a 2 this year and a 1 next year

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Personally I like trade back in the second and picking up that extra 3rd. Maybe with San Fran

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Personally I like trade back in the second and picking up that extra 3rd. Maybe with San Fran
    The Steelers FO likes that approach, too. When they've traded back, it's typically been in the second. They did it with Minnesota (Vikings got Tavaris Jackson, the Steelers Anthony Smith and Willie Reid) and a few years later, they did it again (third rounders yielding Wallace and Urbik).

It really depends who is on the board. If there is a first round type talent there in the second, draft him. Otherwise, recouping a third could make sense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    if the clowns dont take johnny football with the 4th pick, and he slides a bit. i'd give them #15 for a 2 this year and a 1 next year
    Not me. I want my first rounder. I don't want two 2nds this and 2 firsts next. everyone would complain that our seconds never worked out and our firsts had to sit a year.