Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: If Gilbert falls to us, I say take him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    4.38 for Gilbert on attempt 2

4.46 for Dennard
    That's fast but it's not 4.2 fast, like some were saying he'd run.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I could care less what he looks like in drills. Look at his game film. The guy is a WR shadow.
    i understand that. But hes not a great fit, Gilbert is the prototype for a zone CB because of his size and elite athleticism. He is a very versatile CB, versatile enough to do it all, in a Patrick Peterson way (press, off man, zone... etc). and to me that is what the BEST corners do. He is not great if you want him to play on an island, press man, every snap like dennard would be...but thats not what our corners do

I think its silly when people brush off the combine like it doesnt matter, its not everything but it does matter. Hes not just a freak, hes also productive at the position hed be drafted at...lol matt jones and tebow

Legend

User Info Menu

i understand that. But hes not a great fit, Gilbert is the prototype for a zone CB because of his size and elite athleticism. He is a very versatile CB, versatile enough to do it all, in a Patrick Peterson way (press, off man, zone... etc). and to me that is what the BEST corners do. He is not great if you want him to play on an island, press man, every snap like dennard would be...but thats not what our corners do

I think its silly when people brush off the combine like it doesnt matter, its not everything but it does matter. Hes not just a freak, hes also productive at the position hed be drafted at...lol matt jones and tebow
    The combine should support what you see on film. I am a Big Ten fan, and I'm familiar with Dennard. If he was a WR shadow, then his hips move just fine. The combine only matters for the interview process. I am mildly curious about 40's but we all know that doesn't translate to NFL success.

The guys you brought up prove my point. Tebow always had poor throwing mechanics. Jones was a converted QB who blew up the combine and had a team bite on a good combine showing. Very poor examples if you were trying to make a point.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Gus Bradley, asked about the combine... Jacksonville Jaguars, on evaluating video:
    “You always go back to the film. You see them run and do drills at the Combine, but don’t forget about the film. That’s their body of work. It will be cool to visit them, see them compete, and then go back to the film and find the true story.”
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Yup, can he play football really good? His film says yes, that should be all a front office needs to see. Of course, you have to interview him and make sure he's ready mentally as well as physically.

I think Matt Jones was a physical freak from Arkansas a few years back and Tebow also, both drafted because of measureables and not game film and both set their franchises back because they were drafted based on shorts and track shoes.

Pappy
    The combine should support what you see on film. I am a Big Ten fan, and I'm familiar with Dennard. If he was a WR shadow, then his hips move just fine. The combine only matters for the interview process. I am mildly curious about 40's but we all know that doesn't translate to NFL success.

The guys you brought up prove my point. Tebow always had poor throwing mechanics. Jones was a converted QB who blew up the combine and had a team bite on a good combine showing. Very poor examples if you were trying to make a point.
    I definitely did not bring up Matt Jones or Tebow. Those are terrible examples

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gus Bradley, asked about the combine... Jacksonville Jaguars, on evaluating video:
    “You always go back to the film. You see them run and do drills at the Combine, but don’t forget about the film. That’s their body of work. It will be cool to visit them, see them compete, and then go back to the film and find the true story.”
    I think its especially useful at small schools and when trying to decide between guys like Gilbert and Dennard...who are the consensus #1 and #2 CBs depending who you ask. You like who you like, I am not going to change your mind i just think if we go CB in the first (which i am not crazy about) I hope it is gilbert.

Jean-Baptiste ran a 4.52, very impressive for a 6-3 220 pound CB

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

4.38 for Gilbert on attempt 2

4.46 for Dennard
    So are both of these guys in the top 15 mix now? Hard to believe they are not in the conversation. That McGill db I saw him in a post season game and he was solid. I don't think he's a first rounder but he may be a good day 2 option.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like Gilbert's ball skills. We need guys who can pick the ball off.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I like Gilbert's ball skills. We need guys who can pick the ball off.
    You should see his return skills. Electrifying.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I brought up Jones and Tebow and they are examples of workout warriors that had strong combines and were drafted in the 1st round because of it. Jones and Tebow both should have been 4th, 5th or 6th round picks in the years they were drafted. They were selected in the 1st round for no other reason than their showing in shorts and track shoes and the franchises that selected them suffered for it.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount