Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: If Gilbert falls to us, I say take him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I have no horse in this race but I agree with this... I want DB's who are comfortable playing zone. A great man to man DB who struggles in a zone is a waste of talent unless we let him play his game.
    Can't remember the question or who asked it to Troy P. But one time he said there have been some really good cover CB's in his time with the Steelers who did not see the field because they could not play the Steelers defense. So yes draft a guy that fits the defense. Which tells me he will not be rated as high as other CB's and other position players.

Legend

User Info Menu

There was a segment on NFLN where Deion was talking Dennard and (IIRC) Pryor. In the interview, Deion said to Dennard something along the lines of "as I watch you on tape, I don't see the fluidity of movement that I look for in a corner. But then I have to remind myself that you are a press man guy and see how good you are jamming your man at the line and fighting him, not letting him get open."

As annoying as Sanders is, I expect that he knows a thing or two about the smooth fluid motion that you look for in a CB. To me, this guy sounds more like a fit for Seattle, who plays more aggressive off the line with their corners, than the notorious 10 yard cushion that the Steelers give.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Dennard is going to win his battles in the 1st 5 yards off the LOS. That will be his strength. You could see on his tape he understands how to roll into the WR in an outside release when he turns & runs. Using his momentum & sideline to knock him off his line & pinch his release. It's near textbook. Now...That's college & he didn't have elite NFL WR prospects. So he will have a learning curve at the next level but I think he has enough tools to succeed in doing that. You look at all the games in the link provided. When he is playing off the LOS either by defensive design or by the offensive Motion to create free release....That is the only time you see him struggle. Not all the time but again...Next level creates concern. He played some zone off the LOS & when he isn't jumping routes and settling in...He looks pretty good.

I posted in a another tread about Dennard before the combine about what I saw & what I needed to see. The struggle he showed in position drills is what got me to go back & look. HE didn't answer my questions. I watched the drill. If any Dennard fans watched the drill & didn't come away with some concern...There is no use arguing. I can't tell you what you should have seen. On top of that, He didn't do any agility drills. Bottom line...If you aren't a QB & have no medical reason not to participate across the board in all events...You have a concern. Everyone of these players going to the combine have trained & done these drills for months. They know what they should put up. He is head to head with Gilbert competing for 1st CB taken. It was "Apples for Apples" & he didn't want to register.

Underwear Olympics don't tell the whole story. Just like the 40. Players can go to a training complex & work on the takeoff-10 split to shave a tenth. That doesn't equate to game speed with 10 lbs of equipment, resistance, & the fact nobody plays football out of a sprinters stance. Tape gets them there. Dennard tape as a press CB is very good. When the tape is limited on projecting a fit...You want to see things. Position drills...Showed some stiffness. Agility drills...Didn't do them. Could have silenced the critics...Now we will have to wait. His agent is doing a good job. This is my opinion right now...I would take Gilbert if he was there. If Gilbert is gone & Dennard remains...I wouldn't be banging the table for Dennard. At this point, I think Gilbert overtook Dennard as the Top CB. I also think Fuller & Roby gained ground. He still has to convince me he fits. That's just me. I'm sure the Steelers will be 100% confident if they pick him & they are the ones he needs to convince.

Legend

User Info Menu

2014 NFL mock draft: Steelers select Justin Gilbert

By Sean Yuille on Apr 15 2014

The Pittsburgh Steelers take Justin Gilbert with the 15th pick of the 2014 POD Community Mock Draft.

With the 15th pick in Pride Of Detroit's 2014 NFL mock draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert. Ncbur10 is serving as the Steelers' general manager, and his reasoning for the pick is below.

The Steelers are in a bit of a rebuilding phase, as evidenced by their uncharacteristic participation in free agency. They have addressed several positions, such as safety, wide receiver, running back and nose tackle, which leaves fewer true holes to fill, but if we are being honest, this team needs an infusion of youth on the defensive side of the ball. The current needs of this team are squarely on the cornerback and 3-4 defensive end positions, with a big-play receiver being a distant third.

At cornerback, the Steelers currently have Ike Taylor, who turns 34 in May, and Cortez Allen slotted into the starting positions. The fact that they have not addressed the CB position in the first two rounds since 2006 suggests that should change soon, as in this year.

Luckily for the Steelers, their greatest area of need aligns with their desire to draft BPA. Justin Gilbert is thought by most analysts to be the top CB in the draft. His athleticism is unquestioned, although his technique might need some polishing at the next level. I looked at both Gilbert and Darqueze Dennard but ultimately went with Gilbert because of his size -- he has to match up with A.J. Green and Josh Gordon twice a year -- and his speed, which gives him added value as a returner. Regardless, Gilbert is viewed as a potential top-10 prospect, and getting him at 15 adds value to the pick.

[URL]http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/4/15/5614872/2014-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-justin-gilbert[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Is it just possible that the Steelers are looking for a bit of change at the DB position? Is it possible the Steelers have been using the DBs we currently have according to their strength? Maybe LeBeau can't play more press because it's not a strength of our current DBs. Ike has always played better with the ball in front of him....not that the guy can't cover mind you. Dennard is the best press man guy in the draft, and that's not even a question. If the Steelers draft him I think that is encouraging...because the key to beating teams like the Pats and Broncos is to disrupt the timing of the WRs and the pass rush. Give Dennard some over the top help and let him bump and disrupt the other teams top WR.

With all of that said, the best DB in the draft may very well be Fuller...not Gilbert. I don't think the Steelers are really happy with the WRs or the DBs who will land at 15. It's why you see so much desire to evaluate later first round guys. The Steelers need to either move up (which would be much easier to do...or move down probably near impossible to do).

I hope the Steelers are not stuck on DB or WR in the first if they stay put. Mosley would likely represent the best value at 15...he is worth a 15...and would immediately upgrade the position.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

I'd be real happy with Gilbert. Love his return abilities.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So dennard might be dropping because of a double hernia?

Cant really believe much this time of year, but same **** happened to Amukamara

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Dennard is going to win his battles in the 1st 5 yards off the LOS. That will be his strength. You could see on his tape he understands how to roll into the WR in an outside release when he turns & runs. Using his momentum & sideline to knock him off his line & pinch his release. It's near textbook. Now...That's college & he didn't have elite NFL WR prospects. So he will have a learning curve at the next level but I think he has enough tools to succeed in doing that. You look at all the games in the link provided. When he is playing off the LOS either by defensive design or by the offensive Motion to create free release....That is the only time you see him struggle. Not all the time but again...Next level creates concern. He played some zone off the LOS & when he isn't jumping routes and settling in...He looks pretty good.

I posted in a another tread about Dennard before the combine about what I saw & what I needed to see. The struggle he showed in position drills is what got me to go back & look. HE didn't answer my questions. I watched the drill. If any Dennard fans watched the drill & didn't come away with some concern...There is no use arguing. I can't tell you what you should have seen. On top of that, He didn't do any agility drills. Bottom line...If you aren't a QB & have no medical reason not to participate across the board in all events...You have a concern. Everyone of these players going to the combine have trained & done these drills for months. They know what they should put up. He is head to head with Gilbert competing for 1st CB taken. It was "Apples for Apples" & he didn't want to register.

Underwear Olympics don't tell the whole story. Just like the 40. Players can go to a training complex & work on the takeoff-10 split to shave a tenth. That doesn't equate to game speed with 10 lbs of equipment, resistance, & the fact nobody plays football out of a sprinters stance. Tape gets them there. Dennard tape as a press CB is very good. When the tape is limited on projecting a fit...You want to see things. Position drills...Showed some stiffness. Agility drills...Didn't do them. Could have silenced the critics...Now we will have to wait. His agent is doing a good job. This is my opinion right now...I would take Gilbert if he was there. If Gilbert is gone & Dennard remains...I wouldn't be banging the table for Dennard. At this point, I think Gilbert overtook Dennard as the Top CB. I also think Fuller & Roby gained ground. He still has to convince me he fits. That's just me. I'm sure the Steelers will be 100% confident if they pick him & they are the ones he needs to convince.
    Excellent summary. I would also prefer Gilbert over Dennard because he seems to better fit what we do. If Dennard is there, I don't want him. I'd prefer a WR or TE and go CB with a couple picks later.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Is it just possible that the Steelers are looking for a bit of change at the DB position? Is it possible the Steelers have been using the DBs we currently have according to their strength? Maybe LeBeau can't play more press because it's not a strength of our current DBs. Ike has always played better with the ball in front of him....not that the guy can't cover mind you. Dennard is the best press man guy in the draft, and that's not even a question. If the Steelers draft him I think that is encouraging...because the key to beating teams like the Pats and Broncos is to disrupt the timing of the WRs and the pass rush. Give Dennard some over the top help and let him bump and disrupt the other teams top WR.

With all of that said, the best DB in the draft may very well be Fuller...not Gilbert. I don't think the Steelers are really happy with the WRs or the DBs who will land at 15. It's why you see so much desire to evaluate later first round guys. The Steelers need to either move up (which would be much easier to do...or move down probably near impossible to do).

I hope the Steelers are not stuck on DB or WR in the first if they stay put. Mosley would likely represent the best value at 15...he is worth a 15...and would immediately upgrade the position.
    LeBeau adjust to a players strengths...not buying it. He will beat that square peg into his round hole because he loves the round holes he invented.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I know your hatred for all things LeBeau are second to none...but it's just possible that LeBeau has been playing 10 yards off the ball because the current Dbs we have don't excel in press man. Maybe just maybe he isn't as senile as you seem to think. 2 cents.
    Trolls are people too.