Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: If Gilbert falls to us, I say take him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That 7 yard cushion works fine when they get more than a lowly 34 sacks a year. Its an exhausting scheme for DBs to play when the front 7 isnt generating pressure and sacks, when they are they just sit back and tackle the short catch (which is exactly what the seahawks do)

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    LeBeau adjust to a players strengths...not buying it. He will beat that square peg into his round hole because he loves the round holes he invented.
    You aren't buying it, but it's true...

Legend

User Info Menu

Round 1 (15) Pittsburgh Steelers: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

The Steelers always manage to secure a falling prospect. It was David DeCastro two years ago, and it happened to be Jarvis Jones last April. There's a good chance that it'll be Justin Gilbert this time around. Gilbert is this top corner in this class, but there isn't much buzz surrounding him for some reason, despite his excellent Combine performance.

Pittsburgh has to address the cornerback position. Ike Taylor was dreadful this past year, as the receivers he battled - save for A.J. Green, oddly enough - posted season-high totals against him.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Round 1 (15) Pittsburgh Steelers: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

The Steelers always manage to secure a falling prospect. It was David DeCastro two years ago, and it happened to be Jarvis Jones last April. There's a good chance that it'll be Justin Gilbert this time around. Gilbert is this top corner in this class, but there isn't much buzz surrounding him for some reason, despite his excellent Combine performance.

Pittsburgh has to address the cornerback position. Ike Taylor was dreadful this past year, as the receivers he battled - save for A.J. Green, oddly enough - posted season-high totals against him.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2014.php[/URL]
    I really put little emphasis on the combine performance. It gives you a few benchmarks but it's still done in shorts. Go to the tape and analyze that for determining what a player can do. I do think it is interesting that without a game of football played Fuller has moved from 3rd to first in Mayock's CB rankings. I hope that happens because he has looked at more footage of the players ... not because of pro days.

I haven't seen Gilbert play so I really can't talk to him. I have watched Dennard and I love the way he covers receivers. Especially the way he plays the deep ball. I would love him as our pick.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

I will be very happy with either Dennard or Gilbert.

Personally, I hope it is Gilbert. I love the idea of either him or Blount returning kickoffs. He's maybe the best athlete in the draft. He has scoring ability and he can play.

I would be ecstatic if he fell to #15. That would be great value to the Steelers and in the future, experts will say he should've went top 5.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I brought up Jones and Tebow and they are examples of workout warriors that had strong combines and were drafted in the 1st round because of it. Jones and Tebow both should have been 4th, 5th or 6th round picks in the years they were drafted. They were selected in the 1st round for no other reason than their showing in shorts and track shoes and the franchises that selected them suffered for it.

Pappy
    Actually Pappy NOBODY who sees Tebow throw in practice is impressed with him. Everyone says his inaccuracy was obvious.
    Besides the Heisman, and dominating college football, his college passing numbers were VERY misleading.

Check it out:

[url]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/kerry_byrne/03/22/tim.tebow/[/url]

The problem with Denver is that they DID NOT put enough stake into what Tebow looked like "passing in shorts".

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    I will be very happy with either Dennard or Gilbert.

Personally, I hope it is Gilbert. I love the idea of either him or Blount returning kickoffs. He's maybe the best athlete in the draft. He has scoring ability and he can play.

I would be ecstatic if he fell to #15. That would be great value to the Steelers and in the future, experts will say he should've went top 5.
    I too would be happy with either rookies but......Blount (Mel).....He is in shockingly great shape at at 60 something but I dont know if that is realistic.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Actually Pappy NOBODY who sees Tebow throw in practice is impressed with him. Everyone says his inaccuracy was obvious.
    Besides the Heisman, and dominating college football, his college passing numbers were VERY misleading.

Check it out:

[URL]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/kerry_byrne/03/22/tim.tebow/[/URL]

The problem with Denver is that they DID NOT put enough stake into what Tebow looked like "passing in shorts".
    And, Jones did not perform at the combine. He did, however, put up numbers at his pro day - and they were not good. Most notably, his 40 time of 4.88. Jones was drafted in the first because of what he did on the field, and dropped to the mid first because of his work in shorts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    And, Jones did not perform at the combine. He did, however, put up numbers at his pro day - and they were not good. Most notably, his 40 time of 4.88. Jones was drafted in the first because of what he did on the field, and dropped to the mid first because of his work in shorts.
    Jones DID do the combine and his 4.37 40 time there at a ridiculous 240 pounds is what made him a FIRST ROUND PICK.

[url]http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=7163[/url]

TCFCLTC-

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Going back to the thread topic of Gilbert, I heard some of the draftniks commenting on the top DBs. Gilbert has a 35" arm length, Dennard was at 30", but 5'9" Verrett had a 31" arm length. Just thought that was interesting to take into consideration when they have to fight the WRs for jump balls.

Fuller at 32-3/4"
    Last edited by thor75; 05-02-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska