Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If Gilbert falls to us, I say take him.

Pro Bowler

If Gilbert falls to us, I say take him.

I don't know if he will fall to us, but if he is there, I say take him. Not only does he have a big, agile, long body, but he actually has hands - something we aren't use to having at CB. His 40 time (the ones I found, not sure if the most up to date) is not great, but he is fast enough. I say take him and move on. Locking up a CB spot for the next decade would be a nice move.

Pro Bowler
    Dez Bryant = Immaturity Issues coming out
    Justin Blackmon = Drug, Alcohol, Imaturity
    Perrish Cox = Rape

They really need to do their DD on Oklahoma st players...dont exactly run the tightest ship lately

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Dez Bryant = Immaturity Issues coming out
    Justin Blackmon = Drug, Alcohol, Imaturity
    Perrish Cox = Rape

They really need to do their DD on Oklahoma st players...dont exactly run the tightest ship lately
    Oh yea, OK SU players - you are right. If there is even a hint of immature/bad attitude/ legal/drug issues, don't risk it. You would think that every player can't be a bad apple, but there is a trend there. Blackmon is a hot mess. So much talent, so many consistent mistakes/dumb ass decisions.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Whatchu talkin' bout, K Train?

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Oh yea, OK SU players - you are right. If there is even a hint of immature/bad attitude/ legal/drug issues, don't risk it. You would think that every player can't be a bad apple, but there is a trend there. Blackmon is a hot mess. So much talent, so many consistent mistakes/dumb ass decisions.
    I honestly dont know much about gilbert as far as red flags, Ive seen him play a lot but there have been rumblings of him not being the best guy. Not that it really bother me, if he can play he can play, It is something i imagine the FO with do their DD on and if they draft him they get a great player imo at a position of major need. I just think they might be scared off by potential head case-ness...but im not the one interviewing him.

I like Fuller and Jean-Baptiste personally
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

Whatchu talkin' bout, K Train?
    I said lately lol

Pro Bowler
    Well, much of the same was said (is said?) about players from Miami. But then they produced a whole bunch of great NFL players, even if they still did like to party in some cases. Jim Kelly, Frank Gore, Michael Irving, Edge James, Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Jimmy Graham, Orlando Franklin, Jon Beason, Devin Hester, et al are some great players, even though the rep of the Canes was worse than OKSU.

Hall of Famer
    The issue in this case, is that we are a team in need of some new leadership on our team & defense. Gone are the Hines, Farrior, Smith, Porter, Bettis, Harrison, Keisels, Ikes... There is a void there, that needs to be filled by a new generation. We got some guys vying for it, but what we don't need is anyone taking us in a negative direction. Not saying Gilbert is that, but just saying this team needs new blood in terms of leaders. That is why I'm so high on character guys like Trent Murphy.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    The issue in this case, is that we are a team in need of some new leadership on our team & defense. Gone are the Hines, Farrior, Smith, Porter, Bettis, Harrison, Keisels, Ikes... There is a void there, that needs to be filled by a new generation. We got some guys vying for it, but what we don't need is anyone taking us in a negative direction. Not saying Gilbert is that, but just saying this team needs new blood in terms of leaders. That is why I'm so high on character guys like Trent Murphy.
    I totally agree. I didn't even think of this aspect; I saw some vids of him playing and just thought he was a very solid CB, but now more than ever, we can't afford a non-high character first round pick, but we also can't dare afford a non-play maker in the 1st round. Please no repeat of a Ziggy Hood, Kendel Simmons, Jermain Stephens kind of pick.

Steelers: Latest Combine News and Rumors

By Curt Popejoy , Featured Columnist Feb 23, 2014

Scout.com writer Jim Wexell tweeted out on Sunday that the Steelers intend to meet with Oklahoma State cornerback Justin Gilbert:

James C Wexell @jimwexell:

No surprise, #Steelers to meet with CB Justin Gilbert tonight. He thinks he might run a 4.2 Tuesday.

23 Feb 2014

This should come as no surprise to anyone as Gilbert is regarded as one of the top cornerbacks in this draft class and a certain target for the Steelers with their first-round pick. How good is Gilbert? According to Bleacher Report NFL Draft Lead Writer Matt Miller, Gilbert is the No. 10 player in the draft on his big board.

Gilbert to the Steelers makes perfect sense. His size is ideal and his speed is elite. Along those same lines, Gilbert's skill set fits very well with what the Steelers do on defense. He excels in off-man coverage and has exceptional ball skills.

Gilbert isn't great in run support, but this is something that can be coached up. In terms of fit, his strengths are a near-perfect match, especially if cornerback Ike Taylor is released.

If Gilbert is there at No. 15, the Steelers will have some decisions to make. His talent level is elite, and he would be an immediate starter on that Steelers defense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-rumors/page/2

Pro Bowler
    I don't know if he ran his 40 yet, but everything I can find says he is a 4.5 type of speed guy. This article says he might run a 4.2. IDK. Pretty big leap from 4.5, which is fairly so so for a CB, to a 4.2, which is Deion Sanders-esque, i.e insanely rare for someone who can play football AND have world class sprinter speed. I didn't know this kid was at that level. Something tells me he won't run a 4.2, unless he already did and I am not aware of it.