Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Combine Day Three (as it happens thread)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Larry Webster looks tentative in drills.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    A DE who runs as fast as a WR and he won't be on our draft board because of our 3-4. And people want to know why our defense has slipped when we leave so much talent out of consideration while we take cahances on conversion projects that maybe pan out 50% of the time. Just plain dumb.

Want to rebuild this defense fast then have one where we can keep a constant flow of talent coming in and challenging for playing time because they are in their natural positions they have played all through college versus speculating on what they could be converted to.
    Players who are drafted to teams running a 4-3 also pan out roughly 50% of the time.

There are just as many 4-3 DT and 4-3 DE busts as there are 3-4 DE and 3-4 OLB busts out there.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Larry Webster runs a 4.62. He really dominated at the Shrine game. Showed quickness and bullrush ability. Some scouts like him as a TE as he is an ex-basketball guy. 6'6 250.
    Is Bloomsburg's Larry Webster a TE or DE?

[url]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24454561/nfl-combine-is-bloomsburgs-larry-webster-a-te-or-de[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Players who are drafted to teams running a 4-3 also pan out roughly 50% of the time.

There are just as many 4-3 DT and 4-3 DE busts as there are 3-4 DE and 3-4 OLB busts out there.
    Don't you know? Only the Steelers miss on draft picks, so only 3-4 DEs and OLBs can be busts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

I understand, but because you don't have to convert them to a new psoition they get on the field sooner and you can evaluate and make an informed decision for the next draft/FA period. Our problem is exactly what we have seen with Lewis and maybe Worilds...we get a one year sample size to make a huge financial decision. Not much room for error and if we miss or lose one to free agency we have to go into another 2-3 year cycle of converting the next new addition.

My point has always been that the margin for error and flexibility is greater with the 4-3 than the 3-4 because you don't have to project and speculate whether players can convert from DE to OLB or DT to DE, etc, you let them play the positions you evaluate and draft them based upon.

I have always argued it really hurts the front 7 and even the most zealous opponent of what I have said the past few years has to acknowledge what I have argued has come to past...it is to hard and too risky to replenish the talent base for what LeBeau wants to do.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I understand, but because you don't have to convert them to a new psoition they get on the field sooner and you can evaluate and make an informed decision for the next draft/FA period. Our problem is exactly what we have seen with Lewis and maybe Worilds...we get a one year sample size to make a huge financial decision. Not much room for error and if we miss or lose one to free agency we have to go into another 2-3 year cycle of converting the next new addition.

My point has always been that the margin for error and flexibility is greater with the 4-3 than the 3-4 because you don't have to project and speculate whether players can convert from DE to OLB or DT to DE, etc, you let them play the positions you evaluate and draft them based upon.

I have always argued it really hurts the front 7 and even the most zealous opponent of what I have said the past few years has to acknowledge what I have argued has come to past...it is to hard and too risky to replenish the talent base for what LeBeau wants to do.
    I agree 100%...

Legend

User Info Menu

Our problem is exactly what we have seen with Lewis and maybe Worilds...we get a one year sample size to make a huge financial decision.
    I disagree to a certain extent. The biggest thing keeping Lewis off the field until his last year was Keenan Lewis. He had shown ability and was poised to take the next step a couple of times. When that time came, his immaturity always crept in. He was projected to become a starter after McFadden and Gay left. He was getting beaten in a pre-season game and responded with bad penalties and punching out a stadium fixture. He hit the doghouse that day and did not re-appear until 2012. It was not a "system too difficult for young kids to learn" situation.

Worilds was kept off the field primarily by two (at the time) studs in front of him. He was behind a DMVP on one side, and a player earning a $50M contract on the other. There was no way that he was getting onto the field before they cleared the way. Then, when one spot finally opened, it was his bad side. If it was for the brittleness that has become Lamar Woodley the last few years, we wouldn't have seen much of anything out of the guy last year. He would have remained a 3-4 ROLB bust. Again, a case of having too much in front of him, which has been a hallmark of the Steeler Ds for many years until recently.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by training-wheels View Post
    Is Bloomsburg's Larry Webster a TE or DE?

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24454561/nfl-combine-is-bloomsburgs-larry-webster-a-te-or-de[/URL]
    He is neither at this point. Some scouts/teams believe he should be a TE, while other like him at DE/OLB. But, he is with the DL at the combine. He is very raw. But, teams are intrigued by his athleticism.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Carrun Reid from Princeton is also very impressive. Great build with almost no body fat. Quick, fast, strong, athletic. Probably a little short for 3-4 DE, but he really stands out in the workout and drills.
    I believe Reid is projected for the 4th round by CBS. He might be one of the bigger steals in this draft. The guy is crisp, NFL ready.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I believe Reid is projected for the 4th round by CBS. He might be one of the bigger steals in this draft. The guy is crisp, NFL ready.
    I second that sir. Looked good at the senior bowl.
    [URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1933689-2014-nfl-draft-full-breakdown-of-caraun-reids-game[/URL]