Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dulac: Steelers want to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans

Hybrid View

Dulac: Steelers want to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans

Steelers 'Tall Receiver' campaign continues, more feeling behind a pass catcher at No. 15

By Neal Coolong on Feb 22 2014

A Steelers beat writer has been linking the Steelers with 'tall receivers' in the 2014 NFL Draft. That tree gets shaken again as another report is strongly suggesting the Steelers have a desire to land Texas A&M WR Mike Evans.

Post Gazette reporter Gerry Dulac, speaking with Bleacher Report at the NFL Scouting Combine, spoke again in no uncertain terms of the Steelers' desire to find a tall receiver in this draft.

The question really is at what point they'd be willing to take one. Dulac is still leaning on the team's supposed interest in one of them, presumably at the No. 15 pick.

"I don't think there's any question one of the guys they've liked all along is Mike Evans from Texas A&M...He's a big guy, 6-foot-5, 225, a former basketball player, he goes up and gets the ball."

Dulac also mentioned Clemson's Sammy Watkins, saying both he and Evans would be at the top of the Steelers' list."

"There's no question the Steelers want to get a receiver who is tall enough that makes it easier for Ben Roethlisberger to complete passes."

The interview started out by confirming what most expect - Emmanuel Sanders will leave via free agency. Markus Wheaton is first up to replace Sanders in his role. The team has understandably expressed their confidence in Wheaton, with the combination of a late graduating class robbing him of much of the offseason schedule as well as two separate broken fingers and subsequent surgery on one of them leading to his lack of playing time.

Whether any of those things would happen to either Watkins or Evans is obviously unknown, but Dulac is representing very direct information from inside the organization. The only way to tell will be whether the Steelers actually take Evans at 15, or work to trade up to select Watkins, or even Evans, come May.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ceiver-targets

Could be just 'smoke and mirrors' too.... I'd be surprised (at this point) if they draft a WR in round 1. I say at this point, because FA hasn't started yet. If they solve some of thier defensive issues via FA, then I could see it.. But not now.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Who are they trying to trick?

Maybe any one of the other 31 teams? Jerry Jones, maybe.. lol
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

I have never known the Steelers to play games in this department. If they express interest...they are interested.

Hall of Famer
    is there a possible weaker starting spot on the team other then WR2?

cothery or wheaton?

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

cothery or wheaton?

I agree. It's easy to overlook because of how good Antonio Brown has been, but overall the WR corps is unspectacular right now. A fantastic small/quick guy, a good possession guy, and a whole lot of unknown.

cothery or wheaton?
    Nose tackle... the ILB not named Timmons.. Whichever FS is replacing Clark would also raise questions. Basically, front to back, right up the middle of the defense are all equally worse. Are we tossing Wheaton under the bus this quickly?
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Nose tackle... the ILB not named Timmons.. Whichever FS is replacing Clark would also raise questions. Basically, front to back, right up the middle of the defense are all equally worse. Are we tossing Wheaton under the bus this quickly?
    WR2. old broken WR vet who the jets let go a few years ago (who is also a free agent) plus a 3rd round rookie last year that saw nearly zero time on the field

Nose - SMac, woods. and how much did we line up a true nose anyway. i read somewhere that 50% of defensive snaps an NT was not on the field. the game is changing. why would you draft a guy at 15 overall to play half the snaps. and its not just something new either. the pats (amongst others) have spread us out from the beginning of the game to get us out of our base defense for years

ILB - foote (still the signal caller of the defense if he healthy).2 time starter on superbowl teams. the 2nd year where the defense was one of the best in the history of the game.
    and last year's rookie vince williams. who started a few games at the end of the year...unlike wheaton

who ever replaces clark (w. allen or shamarko) played more in nickel defense then wheaton did.

i dont even think its close that WR2 is our weakest starting position going into next year
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 02-24-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Legend
    WR2. old broken WR vet who the jets let go a few years ago (who is also a free agent) plus a 3rd round rookie last year that saw nearly zero time on the field

Nose - SMac, woods. and how much did we line up a true nose anyway. i read somewhere that 50% of defensive snaps an NT was not on the field. the game is changing. why would you draft a guy at 15 overall to play half the snaps. and its not just something new either. the pats (amongst others) have spread us out from the beginning of the game to get us out of our base defense for years

ILB - foote (still the signal caller of the defense if he healthy).2 time starter on superbowl teams. the 2nd year where the defense was one of the best in the history of the game.
    and last year's rookie vince williams. who started a few games at the end of the year...unlike wheaton

who ever replaces clark (w. allen or shamarko) played more in nickel defense then wheaton did.

i dont even think its close that WR2 is our weakest starting position going into next year
    WR2 is far from our weakest position...