Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dulac: Steelers want to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans

Legend

User Info Menu

Dulac: Steelers want to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans

Steelers 'Tall Receiver' campaign continues, more feeling behind a pass catcher at No. 15

By Neal Coolong on Feb 22 2014

A Steelers beat writer has been linking the Steelers with 'tall receivers' in the 2014 NFL Draft. That tree gets shaken again as another report is strongly suggesting the Steelers have a desire to land Texas A&M WR Mike Evans.

Post Gazette reporter Gerry Dulac, speaking with Bleacher Report at the NFL Scouting Combine, spoke again in no uncertain terms of the Steelers' desire to find a tall receiver in this draft.

The question really is at what point they'd be willing to take one. Dulac is still leaning on the team's supposed interest in one of them, presumably at the No. 15 pick.

"I don't think there's any question one of the guys they've liked all along is Mike Evans from Texas A&M...He's a big guy, 6-foot-5, 225, a former basketball player, he goes up and gets the ball."

Dulac also mentioned Clemson's Sammy Watkins, saying both he and Evans would be at the top of the Steelers' list."

"There's no question the Steelers want to get a receiver who is tall enough that makes it easier for Ben Roethlisberger to complete passes."

The interview started out by confirming what most expect - Emmanuel Sanders will leave via free agency. Markus Wheaton is first up to replace Sanders in his role. The team has understandably expressed their confidence in Wheaton, with the combination of a late graduating class robbing him of much of the offseason schedule as well as two separate broken fingers and subsequent surgery on one of them leading to his lack of playing time.

Whether any of those things would happen to either Watkins or Evans is obviously unknown, but Dulac is representing very direct information from inside the organization. The only way to tell will be whether the Steelers actually take Evans at 15, or work to trade up to select Watkins, or even Evans, come May.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-nfl-draft/2014/2/22/5436178/steelers-2014-nfl-draft-wide-receiver-targets[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Could be just 'smoke and mirrors' too.... I'd be surprised (at this point) if they draft a WR in round 1. I say at this point, because FA hasn't started yet. If they solve some of thier defensive issues via FA, then I could see it.. But not now.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Who are they trying to trick?
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe any one of the other 31 teams? Jerry Jones, maybe.. lol
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

I have never known the Steelers to play games in this department. If they express interest...they are interested.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

is there a possible weaker starting spot on the team other then WR2?

cothery or wheaton?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    is there a possible weaker starting spot on the team other then WR2?

cothery or wheaton?

I agree. It's easy to overlook because of how good Antonio Brown has been, but overall the WR corps is unspectacular right now. A fantastic small/quick guy, a good possession guy, and a whole lot of unknown.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If they moved up for watkins it would just make me so happy. So happy.

That is just like the Falcons having Roddy and making a move to get Julio, except ben isnt matt ryan

Legend

User Info Menu

We need to draft a WR early simply because we aren't sure we can reatin Cotchery and we ahve to have some depth if Brown would ever be injured. AB does alot and is exposed to lots of hits. We havebeen fortunate he has been so durable...so far.

I would love Evan, Benjamin or Lee at #15 if we want WR.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yes. I fully believe we will be going WR in the first. We could potentially trade down and still get the guy we want. We could stand pat and hope that watkins somehow falls Via Decastro. Most people do overlook the drafting pattern the steelers have used since Tomlin came it. It is the offense's turn for the first rounder this year.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!