Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 264

Thread: Dulac: Steelers want to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans

  1. #211
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,000
    The Steelers averaged nearly 24 pts/gm last season. Plenty to win games. Fix the defense in Rd 1.

  2. #212
    Tall is the "catch-all" term, but it is more than just height. I would put in three factors for my tall receiver: height, hands, body control. Hands is necessary for any WR (you can't go for height without hands - you end up with Sweed) but I would sacrifice speed for height and body control. Anquan Boldin - a good receiver, but never mentioned among the best in the league - is not fast. However, he almost single-handedly took the Ravens to a SB victory a couple of years ago by going up and snagging many horrible Flacco throws. Without Boldin (and Torrey Smith who did much of the same), Baltimore is knocked out in the first round, and loses every other game as well. They were that important. In today's NFL, the QB can throw a jump ball and the receiver has the rules advantage. A Boldin type will win those time and again, and win games, and potentially championships, along the way.

  3. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Steelers averaged nearly 24 pts/gm last season. Plenty to win games. Fix the defense in Rd 1.
    ...unless the BPA is an offensive player...

  4. #214
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,498
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Getting tall for the sake of getting tall is a terrible idea. That being said I am thoroughly on board with Ebron/Evans/Benjamin in 1 or Matthews/Moncreif/ASJ in 2
    I agree that getting tall for the sake of getting tall is a terrible idea. I've been on board with Evans from the get-go, though, not just because he is tall, but because I think he has the total package and would be a perfect fit for us. I am not on board with Benjamin, though. I think he would be getting tall for the sake of getting tall. If Evans were off the board prior to #15 and the team still planned to go WR there, I would prefer the average-sized Marquis Lee to big ol' Benjamin, since I think Lee is the more polished, well-rounded receiver, even if he does not have that dominant size trait that many long for. With Antonio Brown playing the Ike Bruce role, Marquis Lee playing the Torry Holt role, and Markus Wheaton playing the Az Hakim role, we could be a latter day version of the Greatest Show on Turf...although we'd have to rename it the Greatest Show on Slop instead.

  5. #215
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,498
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Tall is the "catch-all" term, but it is more than just height. I would put in three factors for my tall receiver: height, hands, body control. Hands is necessary for any WR (you can't go for height without hands - you end up with Sweed) but I would sacrifice speed for height and body control. Anquan Boldin - a good receiver, but never mentioned among the best in the league - is not fast. However, he almost single-handedly took the Ravens to a SB victory a couple of years ago by going up and snagging many horrible Flacco throws. Without Boldin (and Torrey Smith who did much of the same), Baltimore is knocked out in the first round, and loses every other game as well. They were that important. In today's NFL, the QB can throw a jump ball and the receiver has the rules advantage. A Boldin type will win those time and again, and win games, and potentially championships, along the way.
    Interesting comparison between former teammates Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. Boldin has been in the league for one season more than Fitz, but has only played one more game than Fitz since his physical style of play gets him injured more often (156 games vs. 155 games played). Larry Fitzgerald is thought to be this dominant tall speciman of a WR and a sure-fire Hall of Famer by many, while Boldin seems more like a hard-working journeyman type (remember that he was traded for 6th round pick not too long ago). So, in essentially the same number of games, here is the tale of the tape:

    Fitzgerald: 846 catches for 11367 yards and 87 TD's.
    Boldin: 857 catches for 11344 yards and 65 TD's.

    Closer than you thought?

  6. #216
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,487
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Tall is the "catch-all" term, but it is more than just height. I would put in three factors for my tall receiver: height, hands, body control. Hands is necessary for any WR (you can't go for height without hands - you end up with Sweed) but I would sacrifice speed for height and body control. Anquan Boldin - a good receiver, but never mentioned among the best in the league - is not fast. However, he almost single-handedly took the Ravens to a SB victory a couple of years ago by going up and snagging many horrible Flacco throws. Without Boldin (and Torrey Smith who did much of the same), Baltimore is knocked out in the first round, and loses every other game as well. They were that important. In today's NFL, the QB can throw a jump ball and the receiver has the rules advantage. A Boldin type will win those time and again, and win games, and potentially championships, along the way.
    Does Boldin even jump? I think he gets by on using his size and boxing out defenders like a basketball player.

    Ravens didn't win in Denver because of Boldin.. they won because Denver played horrible D on a hail mary.

  7. #217
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,487
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Interesting comparison between former teammates Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. Boldin has been in the league for one season more than Fitz, but has only played one more game than Fitz since his physical style of play gets him injured more often (156 games vs. 155 games played). Larry Fitzgerald is thought to be this dominant tall speciman of a WR and a sure-fire Hall of Famer by many, while Boldin seems more like a hard-working journeyman type (remember that he was traded for 6th round pick not too long ago). So, in essentially the same number of games, here is the tale of the tape:

    Fitzgerald: 846 catches for 11367 yards and 87 TD's.
    Boldin: 857 catches for 11344 yards and 65 TD's.

    Closer than you thought?
    pretty sure the Harbaugh parents forced them to make that trade...

    a freaking 6th... that was shady.

  8. #218
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,105
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Fitzgerald: 846 catches for 11367 yards and 87 TD's.
    Boldin: 857 catches for 11344 yards and 65 TD's.

    Closer than you thought?
    Wow, 22 more TD's in one less season? That's pretty significant.

  9. #219
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,475
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I agree that getting tall for the sake of getting tall is a terrible idea. I've been on board with Evans from the get-go, though, not just because he is tall, but because I think he has the total package and would be a perfect fit for us. I am not on board with Benjamin, though. I think he would be getting tall for the sake of getting tall. If Evans were off the board prior to #15 and the team still planned to go WR there, I would prefer the average-sized Marquis Lee to big ol' Benjamin, since I think Lee is the more polished, well-rounded receiver, even if he does not have that dominant size trait that many long for. With Antonio Brown playing the Ike Bruce role, Marquis Lee playing the Torry Holt role, and Markus Wheaton playing the Az Hakim role, we could be a latter day version of the Greatest Show on Turf...although we'd have to rename it the Greatest Show on Slop instead.
    I would also prefer Marquise Lee over Benjamin, but if we were really concerned about improving in the red zone then I'm still focused on Ebron. I think Lee is the most underrated WR in the draft.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #220
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Would love Mathews or Moncrief in the 2nd more than I would Evans, Benjamin or Ebron in the first, CB, ILB or DE would be my first option at 1.15. The Steelers need to be able to start stopping opposing offense, I don't think the Steeler offense will ever be the unit that leads this team in the same fashion as the Pats, Broncs, Saints,Packers, etc.

    Pappy
    I like the way you think Pap...I believe Moncrief is a perfect fit for our offense. Plus we're on the same page about going for D in the 1st.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •