Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 264

Thread: Dulac: Steelers want to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans

  1. #201
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,228
    Trading away another draft pick to get Mike Evans is so much better than drafting Jarvis Landy in the 3rd round.

    Evans has legit elite ability...not saying they are or should move up but planning on just taking another WR later because there are WRs later is how you end up with Greg Little instead of Julio Jones or Brian Robiskie instead of Percy Harvin (both browns moves btw...worth a good lol)

  2. #202
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,113
    While I'd love to have Evans, I've just accepted the probability that the pick will be Dennard. I'm sure he'll be a good pick, but I'm not exactly excited about it.

  3. #203
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    16,063
    Is a ‘Tall’ Wide Receiver Really Necessary in Pittsburgh?

    by steeldad



    We’ve heard this cry for years in the Steel City… “We need a big target at wide receiver.”

    Whether this call has come from Ben Roethlisberger, the front office or the entire fan base, it has been something we’ve lived with for some time now.

    Everyone has their own definition as to what a ‘big’ or ‘tall’ wide receiver is, but nonetheless it has me thinking and researching.

    Below you will see the top ten receivers in terms of passes caught in 2013.

    Below that, you will see the top ten receivers in the same category from ten years earlier.

    Along with their names in the order of top receiver on down, you will see their touchdown reception totals and their listed heights from that season as well.

    2013

    Pierre Garcon 6’0″ 5tds
    Antonio Brown 5’10″ 8tds
    Andre Johnson 6’3″ 5tds
    Julian Edleman 5’10″ 6tds
    Brandon Marshall 6’4″ 12tds
    AJ Green 6’4″ 11tds
    Kendall Wright 5’10″ 2tds
    Dez Bryant 6’2″ 13tds
    Demaryius Thomas 6’3″ 14tds

    While everyone has their own interpretation of what height a ‘tall’ receiver is, I will use 6’2″ as the measuring stick in this situation.

    The above list shows that receivers 6’2″ and over caught 50 touchdown passes in 2013. The receivers under 6’2″ caught 21 touchdown passes.

    Now let’s compare receivers from ten years earlier.

    2003

    Torry Holt 6’0″ 12tds
    Randy Moss 6’4″ 17tds
    Anquan Boldin 6’1″ 8tds
    LaDanian Tomlinson* 5’10 4tds
    Derek Mason 5’10″ 8tds
    Hines Ward 6’0″ 10tds
    Marvin Harrison 6’0″ 10tds
    Chad Johnson 6’1″ 10tds
    Steve Smith 5’9″ 7tds
    Keenan McCardell 6’1″ 8tds
    * = Tomlinson is a running back

    What you’ll notice immediately is that only one of the top ten pass catchers of 2003 is considered tall. It should come as no surprise that it was Randy Moss whose blend of speed and height was extremely unique to the league.

    What we can also discern is how much the league has changed in just ten years and it continues to evolve today. As wide receivers have gotten bigger, faster and stronger, so to have cornerbacks. The days of the 5’9″ corner will soon be a thing of the past in my opinion.

    For further proof of the ‘tall’ receiver necessity, look no further than the top ten leaders in touchdown receptions from last season.

    Because of ties, 13 receivers were included in the top ten list. Only Wes Welker, and he finished tied for tenth, was under 6’2″.


    If we look at touchdown leaders from 2003 where only one player over 6’2″ was among the top ten reception leaders, we find that five of the top 10 touchdown leaders were above 6’2″.

    So what can we take from all of this? Is the need for a tall receiver in Pittsburgh really all that it’s cracked up to be?

    I say it is because the proof is there that the game has changed drastically even from ten years ago in terms of pass catchers. What has always been however is that taller wide receivers and tight ends (Gonzalez, Graham, J. Thomas and V. Davis) score more touchdowns.

    Ultimately this is the name of the game. While this is nothing more than a snapshot using just receptions and touchdown catches, I believe the Steelers need to invest in a guy that fits the mold of being both a tall receiver and a guy who catches touchdowns.

    http://www.steelcityblitz.com/2014/0...in-pittsburgh/

  4. #204
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,337
    and its not just because they are taller. where they're being thrown jump balls

    their weight & strength comes into play in breaking tackles.

    just look at D thomas stiff arming ike away from him for the GW TD in the denver playoff game.

    how many WR screens has he taken to the house? long gainer as well.

    look at dez catch a ball 20 yards downfield, shake of the would be tackler and run to the end zone.


    seems like every week i see one of these bigger receivers doing that

  5. #205
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,863
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Is a ‘Tall’ Wide Receiver Really Necessary in Pittsburgh?

    by steeldad



    We’ve heard this cry for years in the Steel City… “We need a big target at wide receiver.”

    Whether this call has come from Ben Roethlisberger, the front office or the entire fan base, it has been something we’ve lived with for some time now.

    Everyone has their own definition as to what a ‘big’ or ‘tall’ wide receiver is, but nonetheless it has me thinking and researching.

    Below you will see the top ten receivers in terms of passes caught in 2013.

    Below that, you will see the top ten receivers in the same category from ten years earlier.

    Along with their names in the order of top receiver on down, you will see their touchdown reception totals and their listed heights from that season as well.

    2013

    Pierre Garcon 6’0″ 5tds
    Antonio Brown 5’10″ 8tds
    Andre Johnson 6’3″ 5tds
    Julian Edleman 5’10″ 6tds
    Brandon Marshall 6’4″ 12tds
    AJ Green 6’4″ 11tds
    Kendall Wright 5’10″ 2tds
    Dez Bryant 6’2″ 13tds
    Demaryius Thomas 6’3″ 14tds

    While everyone has their own interpretation of what height a ‘tall’ receiver is, I will use 6’2″ as the measuring stick in this situation.

    The above list shows that receivers 6’2″ and over caught 50 touchdown passes in 2013. The receivers under 6’2″ caught 21 touchdown passes.

    Now let’s compare receivers from ten years earlier.

    2003

    Torry Holt 6’0″ 12tds
    Randy Moss 6’4″ 17tds
    Anquan Boldin 6’1″ 8tds
    LaDanian Tomlinson* 5’10 4tds
    Derek Mason 5’10″ 8tds
    Hines Ward 6’0″ 10tds
    Marvin Harrison 6’0″ 10tds
    Chad Johnson 6’1″ 10tds
    Steve Smith 5’9″ 7tds
    Keenan McCardell 6’1″ 8tds
    * = Tomlinson is a running back

    What you’ll notice immediately is that only one of the top ten pass catchers of 2003 is considered tall. It should come as no surprise that it was Randy Moss whose blend of speed and height was extremely unique to the league.

    What we can also discern is how much the league has changed in just ten years and it continues to evolve today. As wide receivers have gotten bigger, faster and stronger, so to have cornerbacks. The days of the 5’9″ corner will soon be a thing of the past in my opinion.

    For further proof of the ‘tall’ receiver necessity, look no further than the top ten leaders in touchdown receptions from last season.

    Because of ties, 13 receivers were included in the top ten list. Only Wes Welker, and he finished tied for tenth, was under 6’2″.


    If we look at touchdown leaders from 2003 where only one player over 6’2″ was among the top ten reception leaders, we find that five of the top 10 touchdown leaders were above 6’2″.

    So what can we take from all of this? Is the need for a tall receiver in Pittsburgh really all that it’s cracked up to be?

    I say it is because the proof is there that the game has changed drastically even from ten years ago in terms of pass catchers. What has always been however is that taller wide receivers and tight ends (Gonzalez, Graham, J. Thomas and V. Davis) score more touchdowns.

    Ultimately this is the name of the game. While this is nothing more than a snapshot using just receptions and touchdown catches, I believe the Steelers need to invest in a guy that fits the mold of being both a tall receiver and a guy who catches touchdowns.

    http://www.steelcityblitz.com/2014/0...in-pittsburgh/
    Tall Receiver = Adding a good pass catching TE. There are three of those we could get Ebron at #15, Amaro, Serferis-Jenkins and maybe Niklas in Round 2...maybe.

    It has been my opinion for a couple of years we need an opposite for Miller more than a big WR. Lots of reason not the least being that Miller isn't getting any younger and we have been burnt over the past couple of years not having the next guy ready when our stars retire or can't deliver anymore.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 04-14-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #206
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,228
    Getting tall for the sake of getting tall is a terrible idea. That being said I am thoroughly on board with Ebron/Evans/Benjamin in 1 or Matthews/Moncreif/ASJ in 2

  7. #207
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,336
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Getting tall for the sake of getting tall is a terrible idea. That being said I am thoroughly on board with Ebron/Evans/Benjamin in 1 or Matthews/Moncreif/ASJ in 2
    Would love Mathews or Moncrief in the 2nd more than I would Evans, Benjamin or Ebron in the first, CB, ILB or DE would be my first option at 1.15. The Steelers need to be able to start stopping opposing offense, I don't think the Steeler offense will ever be the unit that leads this team in the same fashion as the Pats, Broncs, Saints,Packers, etc.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  8. #208
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,228
    I think in this offense it could become methodical in those ways (arians was more of a quick strike offense, and had struggled in the RZ)...now i think the offense is growing into the type of offense that wears down a defense (both in the short passing game, and now FINALLY in the run game) which will open up things down field.

    Its a calculated risk with a player like benjamin, but im on board. He is exactly what haley likes to do with WRs and the perfect compliment to brown.

    Bens best days statistically could be around the corner imo

  9. #209
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,697
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    and its not just because they are taller. where they're being thrown jump balls

    their weight & strength comes into play in breaking tackles.

    just look at D thomas stiff arming ike away from him for the GW TD in the denver playoff game.

    how many WR screens has he taken to the house? long gainer as well.

    look at dez catch a ball 20 yards downfield, shake of the would be tackler and run to the end zone.


    seems like every week i see one of these bigger receivers doing that
    I also see smaller WR's running around would be tacklers...

    I can see the case when it's AJ Green or Brandon Marshall but most of these WR's play in systems where the QB throws the ball 50+ a game. I think most WR's would have 10+ TD's if they played with Romo or Manning.

  10. #210
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,337
    AB / welker annnd who?

    the rest of the list is loaded with bigger guys.


    keenan allen was doing it for the chargers late in the year in their playoff push.
    terrence willimas scored in 5 or 6 staright games in the middle of the season for the cowboys.
    we have the derrick moye's of the world dropping a perfectly thrown ball in the end zone

    most teams already have that little guy because they're easier to find. most teams also have a bigger stronger guy to pair with them. some even have 2 of them (atlanta, dallas, ariz, denver to name a few)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •