Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Dulac: Steelers want to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans

Pro Bowler
    Ike Taylor has some pretty good first hand knowledge of one of the Pittsburgh Steelers potential draft targets.

Taylor has been training this offseason with Florida State wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin in Orlando, FL and the Steelers cornerback has been shown a glimpse of his talent.

Taylor reflected on his impressions of Benjamin during Trib Live Radio’s “The Ike Taylor Show” Tuesday morning.

“He (Benjamin) plays faster than his 40 time," said Taylor. "He has something you can’t coach in height and size. He is aggressive and plays receiver with a defensive mentality, he has great ability in the red zone as well as being a deep play threat, and I think he could be a game changer.”

While Taylor certainly doesn't have any say in who the Steelers draft, one would imagine that he's likely shared his thoughts on the young wide receiver with Head Coach Mike Tomlin and General Manager Kevin Colbert.

Furthermore, Tomlin and Colbert both had a visit with Benjamin and his teammate, running back Devonta Freeman, last Monday and then attended the Florida State Pro Day the following day...
    http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sp...irect_16121863

Legend
    Nice to hear KB is working hard... one of the knocks/concerns was his work ethic.

Do the draftnicks around here think that KB will be around by our second pick?

I'm scared to death of KB in the 1st round. I like his size but he drops some very catchable balls. He also isn't that fast and his bench press was poor for a guy his size at just 13. He lets the ball get into his body as well. I think he goes late in the 1st and may slip to the early 2nd.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I'm scared to death of KB in the 1st round. I like his size but he drops some very catchable balls. He also isn't that fast and his bench press was poor for a guy his size at just 13. He lets the ball get into his body as well. I think he goes late in the 1st and may slip to the early 2nd.
    The bench press doesn't concern me. 13 reps at 225lb equals out to about a 300-315 max. He's not a weakling by any means. I've never watched the kid play, and maybe he does have some flaws that would prevent us for taking him in Rd. 1... I don't think his bench should be one of them though. He can get that up substantially in just a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I think he gets drafted higher than most expect. When do 6 foot 5 highlight reel WRs not get drafted high? He doesn't make it out of the first for sure may go much higher. I don't even think he is that much of a stretch at 15. I would be ok with the pick if the Steelers do their homeowork and think he is the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    The bench press doesn't concern me. 13 reps at 225lb equals out to about a 300-315 max. He's not a weakling by any means. I've never watched the kid play, and maybe he does have some flaws that would prevent us for taking him in Rd. 1... I don't think his bench should be one of them though. He can get that up substantially in just a few months.
    Also.....Long arms......good for a catching, not so good for meaningless bench presses.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post

Not a chance. Just too much physuical potential. I'd be totally OK with him at #15 even though I think you get a better athlete with more upside in Ebron.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    It's a piece to a puzzle which is why they do it. If it meant absolutely nothing then they wouldn't do it. Also if it isn't important then why would he want to "get that up substantially in just a few months"? I've seen him play many times and his long arms still allows the ball to get into his chest.

Also.....Long arms......good for a catching, not so good for meaningless bench presses.
    haha meaningless? Yea, NFL coaches, scouts, executives etc... have no idea what they are doing. I guess they're just wasting time running these guys through the drills. After all the 40 means nothing if the guy is slow, jumping ability means nothing if the guy can't jump high, etc...

All these tests are for a reason. It helps the teams put together a picture of a player. No one test is going to make or break a player normally. But it's a piece to a puzzle.

Here is a Bleacher report on the bench press and how the WRs did back in 2012:
    Head of the Class: California wide receiver Marvin Jones and wideout Jerrell Jackson of Missouri were thought of as late-draft fliers at best entering the combine, but the pair may have boosted their stock a bit by tallying a position-leading 22 reps on the bench press.

C-Student: Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon may be the leading candidate to be the first wide receiver taken in April's NFL draft, but his 14 reps on the bench press left him in the middle of the pack.

Flunked Out: North Carolina State's T.J. Graham was already something of a longshot to be drafted due to his diminutive 5'11" frame, and the 188-pounder didn't do much to help himself with a measly nine bench press reps.
    Last edited by Vader; 03-29-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Execs might know what they are doing but we don't. Basic laws of physics at work here. Force times distance=work. Not all bench presses are equal. The bench press is certainly not meaningless but you do have to take results into context and see how powerfully someone plays...ie do they use leverage...do they have good functional strength on the football field. I haven't seen Benjamin play, but I will say just based upon the highlights his strength stuck out to me. He looked very physical.