Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Dulac: Steelers want to draft Texas A&M WR Mike Evans

Legend

User Info Menu

Offense tends to look better at impact because the majority of the time we are following a player whp handles the ball.

An NT who pushes the pocket but doesn't get sacks or tackles won't get the same respect as someone who sacks the QB but the impact is real. Heyward doing his job so the OLB gets his won't be valued as much as a WR with receptions even if that player helps get the ball back to the O with a shorter field or less points to overcome.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Defense wins championships...no one is denying that but Steelers draft and development of players have been horrible lately. Who is responsible for this?? Colbert, scouting department, DL or the scheme. Mid-tier FA is the way to build defense. Draft alone is not going to help and rookies are not going to contribute in 2014 anyways. Draft mid-late rd picks on D and let them develop for 3-4 yrs.

Rookie never contributed on Defense because there were all-pro players few years back but now what is the excuse??? Only thing we keep listening from rookies is DL playbook is difficult to grasp. Mitchell tells linemen to forget everything they learned in college and start from scratch. How is that going to help players development???

Getting 4-3 players is not easy but probability is better. You are not projecting players like in 3-4. Its more like plug and play. Before few teams played 3-4 but with so many 3-4 teams its difficult to find talent.
    There is no excuse.... We lost Hampton, JH, Lewis, Foote and Woodley for half a year. Well,I guess that is the excuse but its a good one.

I'm angry at the rookie development but I also understand when people talk about the talent/leadership we lost last year.

This year has to be different though.... no excuses. We know we have holes and we had a year to see how the players adapted. If this D doesn't make a dratic improvement its going to be a problem and everyone should be held accountable.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I don't think its a secret that the Steelers draft for the future, not for the here and now, that's why it seems to take a couple years to get on the field. They saw the end for Smith and drafted Hood, they see the end for Keisel and drafted Heyward, they saw the end for James and drafted Worilds and Woodley, they see what's coming and draft accordingly, but when the draft goes awry they had to make some changes, they are still recovering from failed 2008 and 2009 drafts.

Pappy
    This would have been perfect scenario if this happened but problem is Heyward replaced hood and not kiesel and Worilds replaced Woodley not JH. Hence they had to spend Rd 1 pick on OLB last season and draft Jones. Steelers are again in market looking for DE and OLB if Worlids is not signed or Woodley is cut.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    There is no excuse.... We lost Hampton, JH, Lewis, Foote and Woodley for half a year. Well,I guess that is the excuse but its a good one.

I'm angry at the rookie development but I also understand when people talk about the talent/leadership we lost last year.

This year has to be different though.... no excuses. We know we have holes and we had a year to see how the players adapted. If this D doesn't make a dratic improvement its going to be a problem and everyone should be held accountable.
    K-Lewis should have been re-signed. A huge mistake by Steelers FO. Now Steelers are interviewing DBs at the combine because they have no one to replace Ike.

Colbert did talk about being more active in FA. Fingers crossed.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Are the Steelers the only 34 team retraining players? I doubt it. Why would teams continually do this? The players drafted have to be better than the guy in front of them. It's not retraining them that causes the problems, its performing better than the guy in front of you. The Steelers simply haven't had players step up and become the player they expected and missing completely on two drafts didn't help either, one player on the roster form two drafts is a recipe for disaster.

The players that should be anchoring the offense and defense are on other rosters or on their couches watching just like the rest of us.

Pappy
    why are the steelers using preimum draft choices on players that sit behind capable starter (hood, heyward, worldis)

especially since its pretty much the only way they replenish the teams talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

for lemming... not sure why i cant quote ur post

the steelers were 8=8 and out of the playoffs

that team with two 6'3 receivers got to the SB

our division was won by a team with a 6'4 receiver drafted in the top 5 overall with andy friggen dalton quarterbacking the team

san diego snuck into the playoffs right in front of us. keenan allen (6'3) came out of no where to give that team a boost offensively

2009 was 5 years ago, ia lifetime in the NFL. cotch was cut from an offensively inept jets team. WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU?

who are some other teams lacking in the wide receiver department.
    jets? ravens? baltimore? jax?

how did they do in the playoffs?

Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 03-02-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

drafting on both sides of the ball has really gone down hill the last several years. we use to draft and develop talent and team leaders. i wonder what has changed.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    drafting on both sides of the ball has really gone down hill the last several years. we use to draft and develop talent and team leaders. i wonder what has changed.
    Actually, its the exact opposite IMO. 2008 and 09 didnt pan out but guys like Pouncey, DD, Brown, Bell, Wallace, Sanders, Lewis were pretty good picks. The problem is we couldnt retain some of the talent due to keeping old vete for that last run. If we moved on from A.Smith, Farrior amd even Ike a year or 2 earlier I think the drop off isnt as bad.

I don't blame the FO for trying to make one more run but I think we retain guys like Lewis, Worilds and maybe even Wallace if we shed some of those older heads. We paid Smith, Hampton, Ward and Farriror one too many years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    This would have been perfect scenario if this happened but problem is Heyward replaced hood and not kiesel and Worilds replaced Woodley not JH. Hence they had to spend Rd 1 pick on OLB last season and draft Jones. Steelers are again in market looking for DE and OLB if Worlids is not signed or Woodley is cut.
    My point was that the Steelers saw the holes coming in the future and were preparing to replace players, but it didn't pan out for numerous reasons. The Steelers use the draft more than any other team, to them free agency is signing their own players, not other team's free agents. This has worked for so long that fans take it for granted that the Steelers will restock; the last 2-3 drafts haven't worked out exactly as they would have liked and back-to-back 8-8 seasons have fans in a panic, Lebeau is too old, Haley never played, fire Tomlin, Colbert is an idiot, etc, etc... The Steelers do not panic and they stick by their business model through thick and thin. The 80s sucked for the most part, but they came out of it and have been a force since the early 90s. No other team is even close.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 03-02-2014 at 05:35 PM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Actually, its the exact opposite IMO. 2008 and 09 didnt pan out but guys like Pouncey, DD, Brown, Bell, Wallace, Sanders, Lewis were pretty good picks. The problem is we couldnt retain some of the talent due to keeping old vete for that last run. If we moved on from A.Smith, Farrior amd even Ike a year or 2 earlier I think the drop off isnt as bad.

I don't blame the FO for trying to make one more run but I think we retain guys like Lewis, Worilds and maybe even Wallace if we shed some of those older heads. We paid Smith, Hampton, Ward and Farriror one too many years.

it would have been easy to move on from those old vets if the guys that were drafted were worth a **** to replace them.
    pouncey is mediocre and so is sanders. jury still out on bell and DD. brown is good.
    once again, lewis didnt want to be here.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown