Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Official 2014 Visit Thread

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    [URL="https://twitter.com/EdBouchette"]Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette [/URL] [URL="https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/458259608273162240"]1m[/URL] Steelers draft prospects visiting today: OLB Anthony Barr of UCLA and DT Beau Allen of Wisconsin.
    James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell:

As for today's Steelers visitors, I can see pass-rusher Anthony Barr running media interference for sleeper NT prospect Beau Allen.

[URL]https://twitter.com/jimwexell[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[URL="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash"]#Steelers[/URL] Hosting [URL="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Duke&src=hash"]#Duke[/URL] CB Ross Cockrell For A Tuesday Pre Draft Visit
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Duke’s Ross Cockrell improves upon combine results at Blue Devils’ pro day

By Jonathan Jones
    [email]jjones@charlotteobserver.com[/email]

Posted: Wednesday, Mar. 26, 2014
    NFL Combine Football

Duke defensive back Ross Cockrell runs a drill at the NFL combine in February. Cockrell participated in a full workout at Duke’s Pro Day on Wednesday.

DURHAM As a general rule for NFL draft prospects, if you post solid numbers at the scouting combine and are happy with the results, you may sit out a few events at your school’s pro day.

Duke cornerback Ross Cockrell had a good showing at the combine last month, but that didn’t stop him from doing a full workout in front of scouts at Duke’s Pro Day on Wednesday.

Cockrell and his coach David Cutcliffe said Cockrell, a Charlotte Latin graduate, improved in every measurable month separated from the combine.

“If you’re an NFL team you should be paying attention to what’s been happening with him. Obviously he didn’t go to the combine to take a break,” Cutcliffe said. “He has continued to work at a high-intensity level.”

After officially clocking a 4.56 40-yard dash in Indianapolis last month, Cockrell ran a sub-4.40 according to Duke. No official time was kept, but one timer had him as low as 4.35 and another as high as 4.41.

Cutcliffe said Cockrell, who is considered a mid-round draft prospect, participated in all the events Wednesday because he has no fear.

“I would tell any young football player, you know what’s happening out here today – it’s an interview,” Cutcliffe said. “Can you imagine any of us going to a company interview and saying ‘I’m not going to answer that question?’ You’re not going to get the job. My advice to them is when you’re being interviewed, do the interview ... I call that old fashioned horse sense.”

A 4.40 40-yard dash would have vaulted Cockrell to fifth-best among all cornerbacks at the combine. He also improved his 225-pound bench reps from 10 to 12. His 39-inch vertical – 2 1/2 inches better than the combine – would have tied for third at the combine in his position group.

“I’m a team guy and if all my teammates can do it, I think I can do it, too,” Cockrell said. “I did have the opportunity to go to the combine, but it wasn’t with the guys I came here with and did something special with. I wanted to enjoy that.”

Cockrell joined the Blue Devils weighing 155 pounds with a bad knee after tearing his ACL at Latin. After two trying seasons at cornerback, Cockrell, now weighing 190 pounds, settled in and became one of the top defensive backs in the ACC.

He earned first-team All-ACC honors in his redshirt junior and senior seasons while Duke won 16 games, including a 10-4 mark this past season.

Cockrell totaled eight interceptions in his final two seasons while leading the ACC with five interceptions in his junior season.

Derek Jones, Duke’s defensive backs coach, said Cockrell was the longest corner he had coached at Duke since joining the program in 2008. Because of Cockrell’s length, Jones used Cockrell as a press corner who could jam receivers at the line of scrimmage.

But Cockrell’s shorter arms – he measured 29 7/8 inches at the combine – may force him to play off coverage or in zone, meaning he’ll have to be better on his feet in the league.

“I want to continue to work on my strength to compete with some of the bigger receivers in the NFL,” Cockrell said. “And then I can improve upon my footwork. I’m going to do a lot more backpedaling in the NFL than I did in college, and I realize that.”

Cutcliffe said NFL teams have been impressed not only with Cockrell’s numbers, but also with his interviews. But one thing teams can’t measure is how fierce a competitor Cockrell is.

“And to take you back to his freshman year, I said don’t worry about Ross,” Cutcliffe said. “In some of the more difficult circumstances, isolated on an island, against really good older players at that time, Ross never wavered and never changed. And ultimately he won the battle his last two years.”

I didn't see any Duke games live, but everything I've read and clips I've seen on the draft sites has been positive. I think this would be a good addition in the middle rounds.
    Last edited by thor75; 04-24-2014 at 01:42 PM.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Below is a list from Dale Lolley's blog. With the Steelers showing almost no interest in TEs, I'd be shocked if Ebron was the guy. Not surprisingly, there has been a focus on corners, linebackers, wide receivers and defensive linemen.

A look at the Steelers visitors thus far

Here's a look at the players the Steelers have hosted thus far for their pre-draft visits. Each team gets 30 players, though local players - in the Steelers' case, Aaron Donald, for example - don't count against that number.

These are the guys who have actually visited, not players who are rumored to be coming in.

CB
    Shaq Richardson, Arizona (6-0, 194) A late round sleeper prospect with good size.
    Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State (5-11, 199) A physical corner who is better in press coverage than he is in zone. The Steelers have, however, played more press in the past couple of years.
    Bradley Roby, Ohio State (5-11, 194) Speedy and athletic. His 2012 tape was better than his 2013 tape. He also had an arrest for a bar incident that drew a suspension. Talented but which tape do you trust?
    Jason Verrett, TCU (5-10, 189) A feisty corner who plays bigger than his size. A 4.38 40 and 39-inch vertical make up for his lack of height. Sticky in coverage.
    Phillips Gaines, Rice (6-0, 193) A 4.38 40 at the combine certainly was an eyebrow raiser for Gaines, who owns 45 career collegiate starts. Opponents completed just 32.5 percent of the passes they threw his way in 2013, though, like Roby, he was suspended for the opener due to an undisclosed violation of team rules.

S
    Brock Vereen, Minnesota (6-0, 199) Saw time at corner, nickelback and free safety in his career. His size and cover skills, along with a 4.47 40 make him an interesting candidate.
    Calvin Pryor, Louisville (5-11, 207) An impact free safety. It would be a shock if the Steelers selected him after signing Mike Mitchell.
    Deone Bucannon, Washington (6-1, 211) Had 15 career interceptions, including six in 2013. Also forced three fumbles in 2013. The Steelers are looking for turnover-makers in the secondary. This guy can do it.

RB
    Lache Seastrunk, Baylor (5-10, 201) Solid runner, but he struggled some against the better defenses he faced. An unknown as a pass catcher.

DL
    Aaron Donald, Pitt (6-1, 285) Had all kinds of production at Pitt, but really doesn’t fit the Steelers’ scheme.
    Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame (6-6, 304) Had hernia surgery in the 2013 offseason. Then had foot issues this offseason that have kept him from working out. A dominant player in 2012. Fell off somewhat in 2013.
    Scott Crichton, Oregon State (6-3, 273) Athletic enough that he could play linebacker. A disruptive player who had 10 career forced fumbles. Also played nose tackle at times in college.
    Ra’Shede Hageman, Minnesota (6-6, 310) Built like an offensive tackle. At times he looked dominant. Other times, he looked disinterested. Could be because everyone ran away from him.

WR
    John Brown, Pittsburg State (5-10, 179) A 4.34 40 at the combine certainly put Brown on everyone’s radar. He’s not big, but the speedster did have five career touchdown returns (3 punts, 2 kickoffs). Late round steal?
    Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss (6-2, 221) Love this kid. A freaky athlete who stood out on video I was watching of other SEC players.
    Bruce Ellington, South Carolina (5-9, 197) Though he’s short, he’s built like a running back. Also started at point guard for two seasons for the Gamecocks, showing his complete athleticism.
    Martavis Bryant, Clemson (6-4, 211) Another of the big receivers in this draft, though he hasn’t generated the heat of some of the others. Of course, playing opposite Sammy Watkins will have that effect.

LB
    Ryan Shazier, Ohio State (6-1, 237) The speedy Shazier is a Lawrence Timmons’ clone who could play inside or out for the Steelers. He’d probably have to be a first round pick.
    Jordan Zumwalt, UCLA (6-4, 235) Like Shazier, Zumwalt could play inside or out, though he doesn’t have the speed of Shazier or Pierre-Louis. But he could be had in the middle rounds.
    Kevin Pierre-Louis, Boston College (6-1, 232) Another speedy linebacker, Pierre-Louis is a bit on the small side. Would have to play inside for the Steelers, who are obviously looking for cover linebackers.
    Carl Bradford, Arizona State (6-1, 250). Like the other linebackers listed here, he can play inside or out. Unlike the others, he has more classic Steelers size.

TE
    Rob Blanchflower, UMass (6-4, 256) Struggled through the 2013 season with a sports hernia, which could be why the Steelers brought the late round selection in to kick the tires.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[URL="https://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm"]@Eric_Edholm [/URL]Nebraska WR Quincy Enunwa met with Raiders and is going to visit Steelers. Coming off strong pro day.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[URL="https://twitter.com/ScottBrown_ESPN"]Scott Brown ‏[/URL] Boise State LB Demarcus Lawrence and Georgia Southern RB Jerick McKinnon visiting Steelers today.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    [URL="https://twitter.com/Eric_Edholm"]@Eric_Edholm [/URL]Nebraska WR Quincy Enunwa met with Raiders and is going to visit Steelers. Coming off strong pro day.
    They were reading my sig! lol.

Big strong WR, good blocker, 12 TDs last year IIRC.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Reading my sig with McKinnon too. Small school QB who is way to short to play QB at this level, but was quite effective running the ball in college. His strength and speed numbers are off the chart, but he is a conversion project for sure (a high upside mid-3rd day prospect to learn behind Bell and Blount). I heard Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller talking to the kid on Sirius NFL Radio, and Kirwin said that he has elite athleticism that scouts look for in top notch CB prospect, if he was willing to convert over to defense as well.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[URL="https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot"]Steelers Depot ‏@Steelersdepot [/URL] [URL="https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/459470461379035137"]12h[/URL] [URL="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash"]#Steelers[/URL] Have Reportedly Had Georgia Tech DB Jemea Thomas In For A Pre Draft Visit
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I updated the original post with the rundown of the visits. We should get some good conversation out of this list. I am surprised by the total number of safeties we met with. WR/LB/CB does not surprise me at all. Also the majority of our visits were with players that rate in the top 3 rounds. 16 of our 27 official visits have a round 3 grade our higher. We have 3 picks in the first 3 rounds. Do we plan on moving up?
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!