Thread: Official 2014 Visit Thread

Legend

User Info Menu

Unsung Local Star Drawing Raves

Kaleb Ramsey

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.net
    Posted Feb 27, 2014

Kaleb Ramsey's an unsung but well-respected defensive end from Uniontown, by way of Boston College.

One of the unsung stars of the NFL Combine this past week was a little-known linebacker from Boston College named Kevin Pierre-Louis.

But even Pierre-Louis was in awe of someone else at the combine, a B.C. teammate of his from Uniontown named Kaleb Ramsey.

Pierre-Louis looked up with wide eyes when Ramsey's name was mentioned.

"He. Is. A. Monster," Pierre-Louis told the surprised reporter.

The reporter asked why.

"He just excels," Pierre-Louis said. "Him being a hundred percent healthy, he just kills everyone that's in front of him. I've seen him do things to offensive linemen that you never see, I mean, literally throwing a guy in the air parallel to the ground. He's an amazing athlete.

"He's going to surprise people," Pierre-Louis added. "He definitely is. Unfortunately he's faced a little bit of injuries in his college career, which have put him under the radar, but in my own opinion he's first-round talent."

Ramsey, of course, is the former all-state basketball and football player from Laurel Highlands High School. He just completed a sixth year of eligibility at Boston College as an interior defensive lineman, and that sixth year was courtesy of a medical hardship after shoulder surgery and some nagging soft-tissue problems with a calf muscle and plantar fasciitis virtually wiped out his 2011 and 2012 seasons.

But Ramsey finished the 2013 season healthy, checked into the combine at 6 feet 3, 293 pounds, and led all defensive players with 36 bench reps of 225 pounds. Only one player at the entire combine topped Ramsey in the weight room -- offensive lineman Russell Bodine of North Carolina did 42 reps.

The performance on the bench not only showed off Ramsey's strength, it showed the doctors that his shoulders are sound.

"At one time I was highly scouted," said Ramsey. "I was thought of as a second or third-rounder. Getting hurt caused me to kind of fall off the draft board and fade away. But I kind of like it like this. There's no pressure. Whatever happens happens. That's the way I like it."

After Ramsey was poked and pulled by some 50 doctors at the combine, and spent four hours taking three different MRI examinations, he got down to the business of talking football with more than 20 teams. One of those was the Steelers. Ramsey met with Steelers defensive line and assistant head coach John Mitchell.

"It went well," Ramsey said. "He just asked me some basic background questions and kind of felt me out. He was trying to pick my brain about football a little bit, and I felt it went well."

Is Ramsey still a fan?

"I was born and raised a Steelers fan," he said. "I figure I'll always be a fan. But right now any team that picks me I'm beholden to. If it's the Steelers, that would be a dream come true."

Ramsey, of course, would play 3-4 defensive end with the Steelers. He did some of that his last year at Boston College.

"I enjoyed two-gapping," he said of a style of play that's similar to what the Steelers' defensive linemen do. "I liked it a lot. The whole defense this past season I enjoyed a lot. It allowed for us as a a defense overall to make more plays. It kind of opened us up to different philosophies, which I think will prepare me for the next level."

Ramsey looks back fondly on his high school days, particularly the basketball part of it. But he went off to Boston College in 2008 and became a full-time starter in 2010. That was his breakout year. He led the BC defensive linemen with 39 tackles and had 7.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks.

"I thought I grew into the position that year," he said. "They moved me from defensive end to inside my sophomore year and in my junior year I figured it out. I got bigger and stronger and more physical. At that time our defense as a whole was very good. We were veteran laden. I had (Luke) Kuechly behind me. It made everything easier. He was an awesome player. He was an animal. He was like a coach on the field. He knew where the play was going to go before it even happened. It was amazing on tape how fast he moved from sideline to sideline. We also had a very good defensive front that year. That made the job a lot easier."

If not for the injuries, Ramsey just might have a pro year or two under his belt.

"He's truly a beast," said Boston College defensive end Kasim Edbali. "With his physical strength, there's nobody who can stop him. When he's healthy he's unstoppable."

The doctors told Ramsey that his shoulders are sound, and that's the important news. He figures the draft board will just fall into place.

"I haven't really talked to anyone about the round," he said. "They say it will depend on my health, and I feel with me doing the bench press I answered questions about my health. I have my pro day coming up March 12th, when I'm going to run and do all the drills. I feel I can answer everyone's questions about how healthy I am and my athletic ability. Once I display that I feel a lot of questions will be answered. Then it will be up to them."

Even if Ramsey's not drafted, he's a virtual lock to go to camp with a team and get his chance. "I believe so, God willing," he said. "I'm praying to get drafted. If that's not the case I think I definitely have a shot. I was highly touted at one time. I'm still a talented football player. I've just had some bad luck happen. It hasn't taken anything away from my game at all."

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1379321.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Depot @Steelersdepot:

#Steelers Depot: USC RB Silas Redd Spoke To #Steelers RB Coach At The#Combine

[URL]https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?in_reply_to=442075475700383745&original_refe rer=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.steelersfever.com%2Fshowth read.php%3Fp%3D1273798%26posted%3D1%23post1273798& tw_i=442075475700383745&tw_p=tweetembed[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers Depot

Over the course of the next several weeks the Pittsburgh Steelers will be bringing in players for pre draft visits and as of Monday, we now are able to report who one of those visitors will be.
    According to Eric Edholm of Yahoo Sports, Arizona cornerback Shaquille Richardson has a pre draft visit scheduled with the Steeers.
    Richardson, who did not receive an invite to the 2014 NFL Scouting Combine had a great week at the East-West Shrine Game, according to Bucky Brooks of NFL.com. He measures in at just over 6'0" and weighs 194 pounds. He started 37 games in his Arizona career and registered three interceptions, seven pass break-ups and 55 tackles in 2013.
    At his recent Pro Day, Richardson reportedly ran in the 4.4 range and many believe he will be a day three selection. The Steelers are expected to draft at least one cornerback in May and more than likely will double-dip at the position.
    The Steelers are allowed 30 out of area visitors prior to the draft.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Unsung Local Star Drawing Raves

Kaleb Ramsey

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.net
    Posted Feb 27, 2014

Kaleb Ramsey's an unsung but well-respected defensive end from Uniontown, by way of Boston College.

One of the unsung stars of the NFL Combine this past week was a little-known linebacker from Boston College named Kevin Pierre-Louis.

But even Pierre-Louis was in awe of someone else at the combine, a B.C. teammate of his from Uniontown named Kaleb Ramsey.

Pierre-Louis looked up with wide eyes when Ramsey's name was mentioned.

"He. Is. A. Monster," Pierre-Louis told the surprised reporter.

The reporter asked why.

"He just excels," Pierre-Louis said. "Him being a hundred percent healthy, he just kills everyone that's in front of him. I've seen him do things to offensive linemen that you never see, I mean, literally throwing a guy in the air parallel to the ground. He's an amazing athlete.

"He's going to surprise people," Pierre-Louis added. "He definitely is. Unfortunately he's faced a little bit of injuries in his college career, which have put him under the radar, but in my own opinion he's first-round talent."

Ramsey, of course, is the former all-state basketball and football player from Laurel Highlands High School. He just completed a sixth year of eligibility at Boston College as an interior defensive lineman, and that sixth year was courtesy of a medical hardship after shoulder surgery and some nagging soft-tissue problems with a calf muscle and plantar fasciitis virtually wiped out his 2011 and 2012 seasons.

But Ramsey finished the 2013 season healthy, checked into the combine at 6 feet 3, 293 pounds, and led all defensive players with 36 bench reps of 225 pounds. Only one player at the entire combine topped Ramsey in the weight room -- offensive lineman Russell Bodine of North Carolina did 42 reps.

The performance on the bench not only showed off Ramsey's strength, it showed the doctors that his shoulders are sound.

"At one time I was highly scouted," said Ramsey. "I was thought of as a second or third-rounder. Getting hurt caused me to kind of fall off the draft board and fade away. But I kind of like it like this. There's no pressure. Whatever happens happens. That's the way I like it."

After Ramsey was poked and pulled by some 50 doctors at the combine, and spent four hours taking three different MRI examinations, he got down to the business of talking football with more than 20 teams. One of those was the Steelers. Ramsey met with Steelers defensive line and assistant head coach John Mitchell.

"It went well," Ramsey said. "He just asked me some basic background questions and kind of felt me out. He was trying to pick my brain about football a little bit, and I felt it went well."

Is Ramsey still a fan?

"I was born and raised a Steelers fan," he said. "I figure I'll always be a fan. But right now any team that picks me I'm beholden to. If it's the Steelers, that would be a dream come true."

Ramsey, of course, would play 3-4 defensive end with the Steelers. He did some of that his last year at Boston College.

"I enjoyed two-gapping," he said of a style of play that's similar to what the Steelers' defensive linemen do. "I liked it a lot. The whole defense this past season I enjoyed a lot. It allowed for us as a a defense overall to make more plays. It kind of opened us up to different philosophies, which I think will prepare me for the next level."

Ramsey looks back fondly on his high school days, particularly the basketball part of it. But he went off to Boston College in 2008 and became a full-time starter in 2010. That was his breakout year. He led the BC defensive linemen with 39 tackles and had 7.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks.

"I thought I grew into the position that year," he said. "They moved me from defensive end to inside my sophomore year and in my junior year I figured it out. I got bigger and stronger and more physical. At that time our defense as a whole was very good. We were veteran laden. I had (Luke) Kuechly behind me. It made everything easier. He was an awesome player. He was an animal. He was like a coach on the field. He knew where the play was going to go before it even happened. It was amazing on tape how fast he moved from sideline to sideline. We also had a very good defensive front that year. That made the job a lot easier."

If not for the injuries, Ramsey just might have a pro year or two under his belt.

"He's truly a beast," said Boston College defensive end Kasim Edbali. "With his physical strength, there's nobody who can stop him. When he's healthy he's unstoppable."

The doctors told Ramsey that his shoulders are sound, and that's the important news. He figures the draft board will just fall into place.

"I haven't really talked to anyone about the round," he said. "They say it will depend on my health, and I feel with me doing the bench press I answered questions about my health. I have my pro day coming up March 12th, when I'm going to run and do all the drills. I feel I can answer everyone's questions about how healthy I am and my athletic ability. Once I display that I feel a lot of questions will be answered. Then it will be up to them."

Even if Ramsey's not drafted, he's a virtual lock to go to camp with a team and get his chance. "I believe so, God willing," he said. "I'm praying to get drafted. If that's not the case I think I definitely have a shot. I was highly touted at one time. I'm still a talented football player. I've just had some bad luck happen. It hasn't taken anything away from my game at all."

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1379321.html[/URL]
    2014 Pro Day Results: Thursday, March 13, 1:35 p.m.

Boston College
    Defensive lineman Kaleb Ramsey, a sixth-year senior who struggled his latter years at Boston College with multiple injuries, did not workout for scouts yesterday. Ramsey, a combine invitee, only lifted in Indianapolis (completing 36 reps) as he was sidelined with a tear in his calf muscle. The injury, which happened just a few weeks before the combine, has not healed. I'm told no date has yet been set up for Ramsey to workout prior to the draft.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/proday.php[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[URL="https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot"]Steelers Depot [/URL] [URL="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash"]#Steelers[/URL] Depot: Steelers Had Tuesday Meeting With FSU Draft Prospects WR Kelvin Benjamin And RB Devonta Freeman [URL="http://t.co/zynGRLjGaK"]http://bit.ly/1cW491y[/URL]
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    2014 Pro Day Results: Thursday, March 13, 1:35 p.m.

Boston College
    Defensive lineman Kaleb Ramsey, a sixth-year senior who struggled his latter years at Boston College with multiple injuries, did not workout for scouts yesterday. Ramsey, a combine invitee, only lifted in Indianapolis (completing 36 reps) as he was sidelined with a tear in his calf muscle. The injury, which happened just a few weeks before the combine, has not healed. I'm told no date has yet been set up for Ramsey to workout prior to the draft.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/proday.php[/URL]
    Stick a fork in him.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    Stick a fork in him.
    Could be a nice UDFA to pick up.

Legend

User Info Menu

2014 NFL Draft: Lache Seastrunk to visit Steelers

By Neal Coolong on Mar 24 2014

Baylor RB Lache Seastrunk will visit the Steelers in one of what looks to be many free agency visits for the highly athletic running back.

If the Steelers wanted a solid complimentary running back, perhaps the free agency market isn't the place to get it.

The team is reportedly hosting draft prospect Lache Seastrunk at some point (dates weren't confirmed), and although Seastrunk fell short of his 2013 prediction of winning the Heisman Trophy, he put together an excellent career - 2,189 yards and 18 touchdowns in two seasons.

He has excellent core strength and great acceleration. NFL Films' Greg Cosell said Seastrunk would fit in well with a team that uses running backs as receivers often - which the Steelers did in 2013 and look to do in the future.

Where he'd be expected to be drafted is up for some debate. He blew scouts away with an 11-foot-2 broad jump at the NFL Scouting Combine (6th longest since 2006), and put up a strong 4.51 40-yard dash time. Considering his explosion and lower body strength, the top end speed isn't quite as important. His career 7.6 yards per carry mark on 289 collegiate carries, it's obvious he can make plays with the ball in his hands.

To what end the Steelers select a running back in this draft could be determined by what they do in free agency - or vice versa. There are several good running backs still available, and a draft pick would be cheaper financially, but perhaps more expensive in terms of depth-building. It's possible the team could spend a middle-tier pick on a player like Seastrunk (although he may not make it past the third round, where the Steelers do not currently have a pick, but are expected to receive one in the distribution of compensatory selections), but perhaps signing a veteran as well as bringing along a player like Seastrunk is the best option.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-nfl-draft/2014/3/24/5542026/steelers-pre-draft-visits-lache-seastrunk-baylor-running-back-nfl?utm_source=behindthesteelcurtain&utm_medium=ne xtclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=thor75;593681]
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post

Steelblood - you really like Keith McGill CB from Utah? He's a big corner and rated around that third round area, but the guy cannot fight off a WR block to save his life. Offenses would bubble screen him to death, let alone outside runs to his side. Just my two cents.
    mcgill is not a finished product. But, he certainly has the tools to develop into a special player. Getting stuck on blocks is either a result of poor technique or poor effort or both. I am hoping it is more technique and Lake will fix him.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=steelblood;597319]
    Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post

mcgill is not a finished product. But, he certainly has the tools to develop into a special player. Getting stuck on blocks is either a result of poor technique or poor effort or both. I am hoping it is more technique and Lake will fix him.
    I like Cockrell, I think he would be a good pick in that 4-5 rd range. He seemed to drop a lot of catches at the combine but was much better during actual games. Had a nice pick in the all star game.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska