Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WR Jordan Matthews measurements at the combine

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

mike evans certainly looks impressive this morning

Starter

User Info Menu

Certainly would have no problem taking K. Benjamin at 15. You have Calvin Johnson. Larry Fitzgerald. I see Benjamin landing right in the middle. Nice value at 15 for that type of player.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

great times by matthews today. 4.46 official

wonder if this pushes him out of our reach in the 2nd?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    great times by matthews today. 4.46 official

wonder if this pushes him out of our reach in the 2nd?
    It certainly could.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is the thing that has baffled me all last season (college). Both Jordan Matthews and Donte Moncrief (4.40 40 at 6'2 225), have been considered the second tier of WR's. And even after both have blown it up here at the combine, I'm hearing and reading they still aren't even in the top 5. And that means they are going to be a steal in round two. Devon Street has look good as well.
    To the experts these are the one's who are first rounders...

1-Sammy Watkins
    2-Mike Evans
    3-Marqise Lee

4-Kelvin Benjamin
    5-Odell Beckham Jr./Brandon Cooks

and if this is the case, the Steelers have a great chance at getting either Matthews or Moncrief.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    This is the thing that has baffled me all last season (college). Both Jordan Matthews and Donte Moncrief (4.40 40 at 6'2 225), have been considered the second tier of WR's. And even after both have blown it up here at the combine, I'm hearing and reading they still aren't even in the top 5. And that means they are going to be a steal in round two. Devon Street has look good as well.
    To the experts these are the one's who are first rounders...

1-Sammy Watkins
    2-Mike Evans
    3-Marqise Lee

4-Kelvin Benjamin
    5-Odell Beckham Jr./Brandon Cooks

and if this is the case, the Steelers have a great chance at getting either Matthews or Moncrief.
    Or even the kid Landry from LSU. The bottom line being: There is tremendous value in Rounds 2-3 in the WR class this year. But if we take a Mike Evans or Benjamin at 15, we don't get a chance to directly benefit from that value.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

allen robinson was one WR who I have seen rated ahead of matthews in a lot of mocks. That could change after today.

robinson could be there in the 2nd. Haven't seen as much of him as I live in SEC country, but seems like a guy who could be a good #2 and RZ target, maybe.

I want nothing to do with marquise lee in the 1st or 2nd.
    Last edited by Eddie Spaghetti; 02-23-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Did they change the format of the combine and actually put them in pads with an NFL quarterback and cornerback playing? Or, are they still running free routes in gym shorts and T-shirts? Personally, the only reason I'd go to the combine as a GM or coach is to interview the player face-to-faceand try to put him under mental pressure and see how he responds, other than that, a waste of time, IMO.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't feel the combine is a waste of time. Certainly not the be all/end all, but there are some things to be learned in the drills.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I don't feel the combine is a waste of time. Certainly not the be all/end all, but there are some things to be learned in the drills.
    I'm sure there is, otherwise, they wouldn't go, but as an outsider looking in, I just don't see the purpose in the drills, lifting, sprinting, etc. and in particular the top players. The top players probably have 2 or 3 years worth of tape in actual games against other football players, it just seems like this is something the NFL drummed up to help fill the football void from February to late April or early May and from there to July. It's the NFL marketing department keeping the NFL front and center during a time when there are no games. Every year 1 or 2 workout warriors impress someone with their speed, agility and strength and get over drafted, you'd think the coaches and GMs would have figured this out by now.

If a player is good in pads against other football players, I'll take him over a player who is faster and stronger, but can't play football as well.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount