Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy

Legend

User Info Menu

Call me crazy

I brought this up on another board and would like to discuss it here also.
    What if the Steelers allow Worilds to hit FA and let the market dictate his worth.
    Last thing we want to do is lock up another OLB to a long term contract only to be disappointed.
    Ok so now onto the draft.
    Since the Steelers defense is predicated on having strong pass rushers from the OLB position, we target a top pass rusher in the 1st round.
    Any chance Mack or Barr make it to the 15th pick? LOL, doubtful.....
    So we trade down for a few extra picks and grab a Jeremiah Attaochu or Kyle Van Noy.
    Any CB or safety we pick in the first round will not start in 2014, so use this pick to solidify the OLB position and push Woodley.
    Since this is supposedly the deepest draft in years, makes sense to stock picks no?
    We could use Worilds $$$$ to sign a FreeAgent CB and safety that contributes immediately.
    Crazy right?

Legend

User Info Menu

Not crazy, although since I've never met you I will not consider that my clinical diagnosis.

For one thing, I don't think that they need to keep both Worilds and Woodley. Worilds can only play the left side, Jones is your future so you can't really sit him, so either you are sitting a very expensive Woodley, or a brand new signing in Worilds. I think you cut bait on one of them, and then you have to go get another who will come cheaper. A first or second rounder could do the trick, especially if it is Worilds who leaves because you aren't holdoing on to Wood much longer.

As far as stockpiling picks in the draft, this is the year you would want to do that. It really makes you re-think the third rounder when the FO already knew the value of this draft last year.

That all being said, I don't think that they do this. I think that this FO targets players who they really want, and don't want to risk losing them. I've said before that I think they did this with Timmons, even though some thought that he was a reach. While some fans may have thought "since we didn't get Revis then I don't care...Jarvis Moss, Timmons, Staley, Jon Beason, Anthony Spencer, Posluszny, all the same", but I don't think that the FO views it that way, and I think that this team would prefer to stay put to ensure they get their guy, then drop back and just reach into whatever is left in a deep pool.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree on the "don't like the trade back and hope" option.

They have to use Woodley differently if they keep him, and the best bet is that they will. He's too expensive to cut or trade. I would hate to lose Worldis but it may be the only way. I prefer to have a defense built on great LBs. Not sure Woodley is one of those these days.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think they offer Woirlds a contract that they think is fair and manageable before they let him hit free agency. It only makes sense. If he wants to test the market he won't sign, but an offer would show him they want him back and may be willing to deal.

Thinking about this some more, he may wait to sign to see what Orakpo does to the OLB market.
    Last edited by thor75; 02-21-2014 at 12:27 AM.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I think they offer Woirlds a contract that they think is fair and manageable before they let him hit free agency. It only makes sense. If he wants to test the market he won't sign, but an offer would show him they want him back and may be willing to deal.

Thinking about this some more, he may wait to sign to see what Orakpo does to the OLB market.
    I would have thought your first point also to at least offer a Steelers type contract. But I heard a good point on the radio today. Most players the Steelers want or have a plan for get an offer the year before. Like Brown did. Did not see the year before offer or even an offer in his contract year for Lewis. Was he the odd ball? Or has the thought process changed for the FO. Both Lewis and Worilds step it up in there contract year not before. Or were both already decided on the year before by the FO? Do they not fit the Steelers for some reason we don't see? Now I know Art has said Worilds is a priority. But it has been strange for good young FA the last couple off seasons.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You are crazy. Happy?

I don't really agree with anything you are thinking however. Since Tomlin has been here they have switched between O and D each year in the first. This is consistent. We went D in the first last year with Jones so this year we will take a WR in the first. We will know more as the visits start and we have a full 30 list, but last year we brought in or visited with everyone of our draft picks at the combine or pro day. We will have a list of about 45 players that they will draft from. D will most likely be a focus of this years draft, but it won't be in the first round. Also keeping Worilds is a must. Jones must improve and Woodley, if they keep him, must stay healthy. We still need another OLB to sit behind the top 3. Carter isn't the answer for sure.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Also I am unable to create a new thread. I get an error message saying could not display that page every time I try.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

No way we keep Worilds and Woodley...
    IMO not going to happen.
    I guess i am a little crazy,LOL....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

With all the "deepest draft in 30 years" "having a top 20 pick this year is like a top 10 pikc last year" colbert has been spewing it would be infuriating to see a trade down.

Mack or barr could be there at 15, who knows.

I personally am not a worilds fan, all of a sudden the switch turns on for him this year? Doubt it. It was nice seeing him finally winning some battles and not just running straight, but hes not a very exciting player. Its obvious that keeping him is a need, assuming woodley is gone.

I would like Van Noy in round 2 though

Backup

User Info Menu

You do everything you can to sign an improving 25 year old player before he hits the market. Players are like STOCKS and we need to retain this rising stock.
    Steelers have a great track record of getting rid of their stocks at the right time: See Mike Wallace and James Harrison.