Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salary Cap Increasing to $130 Million

Legend

User Info Menu

Salary Cap Increasing to $130 Million

The Steelers are currently about $8 million and change over the cap:

[url]http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space.php?Year=2014[/url]

Releasing Levi Brown will save $6 million and change, meaning that the Steelers probably only need one move to get into compliance. Of course, they will also need to create additional room to resign free agents, sign any outside free agents, and sign their own picks and sign draft picks, but hopefully this year they will be able to avoid the heavy restructuring that has hurt them in the past.

Also notable on this list is how much space some other teams have. There are 13 teams with over $20 million in cap room, including the Ravens.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    The Steelers are currently about $8 million and change over the cap:

[URL]http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space.php?Year=2014[/URL]

Releasing Levi Brown will save $6 million and change, meaning that the Steelers probably only need one move to get into compliance. Of course, they will also need to create additional room to resign free agents, sign any outside free agents, and sign their own picks and sign draft picks, but hopefully this year they will be able to avoid the heavy restructuring that has hurt them in the past.

Also notable on this list is how much space some other teams have. There are 13 teams with over $20 million in cap room, including the Ravens.

Brown release & Miller extension gets them under.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Brown release & Miller extension gets them under.
    They need to do more so they can resign our own free agents and make one or two FA moves.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    They need to do more so they can resign our own free agents and make one or two FA moves.

That was a "given' to include Taylor paycut/cut & Troy cut and/or extension. Rule 51 with roll over they are under almost 9 mil over. Brown cut & Miller extension frees up 11 mil. Taylors paycut will be in the neighborhood of 4 mil would be my guess. Troys extension will save at least 4.8 mil in '14. If they make him take a cut & extend the number grows. In round numbers, they would be 10.8 under Rule 51. There is more room with other restructures & extensions if needed. When they sign Worilds to a long term deal they will designate Woodley post June 1st. His monies will be used to get rookies under.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

That was a "given' to include Taylor paycut/cut & Troy cut and/or extension. Rule 51 with roll over they are under almost 9 mil over. Brown cut & Miller extension frees up 11 mil. Taylors paycut will be in the neighborhood of 4 mil would be my guess. Troys extension will save at least 4.8 mil in '14. If they make him take a cut & extend the number grows. In round numbers, they would be 10.8 under Rule 51. There is more room with other restructures & extensions if needed. When they sign Worilds to a long term deal they will designate Woodley post June 1st. His monies will be used to get rookies under.
    Isn't AB's contract a great opportunity to clear some cap space...new contract with years left to spread out bonus? How much could they realistically clear with a Ben extension?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Isn't AB's contract a great opportunity to clear some cap space...new contract with years left to spread out bonus? How much could they realistically clear with a Ben extension?
    Brown could clear $4.5 million or so with a restructure, and it would add $1.5 million in each of 2015-2017. That puts his cap hit just under $10 million in most seasons except for 2016, where it would balloon to over $12 million.

[url]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/antonio-brown/[/url]

Brown is a decent candidate for a restructure, but I'd really prefer to avoid seeing the Steelers restructure deals this year and kick the can down the road to future seasons.

Legend

User Info Menu

Brown could clear $4.5 million or so with a restructure, and it would add $1.5 million in each of 2015-2017. That puts his cap hit just under $10 million in most seasons except for 2016, where it would balloon to over $12 million.

[URL]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/antonio-brown/[/URL]

Brown is a decent candidate for a restructure, but I'd really prefer to avoid seeing the Steelers restructure deals this year and kick the can down the road to future seasons.
    Brown is the last person they should approach...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I took AB down to his vet min of $730,000 his new cap number would save the Steelers $3,952,500. I am one of the opinion to wait on AB & restructure his as a last resort if needed.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[
    I understand the depth issues at CB. If I was the Steelers, I would try to extend Cortez Allen this year to ensure that he is locked up beyond this year, and giving the Steelers at least Allen and Gay under contract in 2015. I'd also grab a guy to groom as Ike's replacement. Not necessarily a high pick - I could see grabbing another Ike Taylor/Cortez Allen type guy in the 4th.

I'm assuming the Ike takes a big pay cut and stays. I can't see the Steelers signing a starter-level FA (like Cason) if Taylor returns. I think that they'd draft a guy to improve depth, but I don't think they'd sign a starter level player and bring both Gay and Allen off the bench.

Cason played on a 1 year 1.5 mil deal last year. He will turn 28 before the season. Affordable & young. After seeing Taylor's rapid decline...That would be my insurance. Then I would draft Pierre Desir in the 3rd. Let the cream rise to the top. I would feel very good about the Steelers secondary going into the season With Allen, Cason, Taylor, Gay, & Desir....And I think that will be the depth based on play...But DL will keep Taylor as the starter. Couple games into the season...Taylor will be forced to the bench. By the end of the year..The depth Chart could look like Allen, Cason, Desir, Gay, & Taylor. If Taylor declines at half the rate he did on '13...He will fall to the bottom. Gay should have been starting in his place last year. Love Taylor as a Steeler...but I have zero reservation of cutting him if he wants to play for anything more than a 3 mil base. I hope he "shuts me up" but Father time is breathing on his neck.

We can all hope for some type of miracle & C Brown finally live up to potential. That would be a huge bonus if he did.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 02-20-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Combine notebook: Steelers, Cowboys projected to be over new cap figure

By Alan Robinson
    Published: Thursday, Feb. 20, 2014

INDIANAPOLIS — With the NFL salary cap expected to climb by $7 million, from $123 million to $130 million, the Cowboys and Steelers are the only teams currently over the projected cap. The Steelers are about $9 million over.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/nfl/5599987-74/steelers-colbert-million#ixzz2tz62o9m0[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha