Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers all-in on Big Ben

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    ebron could bring exactly what I would want this offense to be
    we pick up Ebron... he has a Spaeth type of year production wise and people will beyotch and moan.

Not saying he won't turn into something special but I think we have sprinter expectations while watching our FO run a marathon.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    we pick up Ebron... he has a Spaeth type of year production wise and people will beyotch and moan.

Not saying he won't turn into something special but I think we have sprinter expectations while watching our FO run a marathon.

Ebron would be burried on the depth chart. Speath wouldn't be cut in favor of Ebron because he won't be ready inline his rookie year. If they believe he is the BPA I'm sure he will be considered but I don't se him being rated highly as a Steeler TE...I don't see the "fit". I think they would be more interested in Jenkins or a Niklas outside the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Its not about their production as a rookie, its about their production for the next 5 years. Benjamin could definitely have the best rookie year and score 10 TDs because hes so tall, but id be stunned if he ends up the best pass catcher out of the draft

Ebron to me is in the Vernon Davis-caliber of a TE prospect. MANY TEs recently have been 2nd/3rd/4th round picks and bee wildly successful, teams keep looking for that next one with guys like Eifert, Rudolph, Gresham, Pettigrew, Fleener, Ertz...all fine players, but not that kind of dynamic weapon teams are looking for when trying to find the next gronk or graham.

Its worth taking a flier on to me though, Ebron can be one hell of an added weapon

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

Ebron would be burried on the depth chart. Speath wouldn't be cut in favor of Ebron because he won't be ready inline his rookie year. If they believe he is the BPA I'm sure he will be considered but I don't se him being rated highly as a Steeler TE...I don't see the "fit". I think they would be more interested in Jenkins or a Niklas outside the 1st.
    Historically no, but you draft ebron to catch the ball, not be a "3rd TE". Spaeth is a phenomenal zone blocker, he will be great as the offense develops. Miller is on his last few seasons, i think he'll bounce back but getting someone now sure wouldnt hurt.

I do really like Niklas and ASJ, both would be great fits. Amaro is pretty meh to me

I see the logic of going strong on O...I really do. But, it feels like we are sacrificing the future in hopes of squeezing out one more SB. It seems to be going against what has made this organization great...and that's picking the best player. Now, if Evans and KB are the best players on their board...so be it.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Its not about their production as a rookie, its about their production for the next 5 years. Benjamin could definitely have the best rookie year and score 10 TDs because hes so tall, but id be stunned if he ends up the best pass catcher out of the draft

Ebron to me is in the Vernon Davis-caliber of a TE prospect. MANY TEs recently have been 2nd/3rd/4th round picks and bee wildly successful, teams keep looking for that next one with guys like Eifert, Rudolph, Gresham, Pettigrew, Fleener, Ertz...all fine players, but not that kind of dynamic weapon teams are looking for when trying to find the next gronk or graham.

Its worth taking a flier on to me though, Ebron can be one hell of an added weapon
    I think 5 needs to be changed to 3 years..

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I see the logic of going strong on O...I really do. But, it feels like we are sacrificing the future in hopes of squeezing out one more SB. It seems to be going against what has made this organization great...and that's picking the best player. Now, if Evans and KB are the best players on their board...so be it.
    Well I mean they did everything they could to keep that superbowl team together and now they are paying for it (literally). I think there is reason to be excited for the next few years, things that are broken can turn around much quicker than everyone always complains about, theres not 10 years of rebuilding ahead of them

The offense is good enough to play in a Super Bowl, the defense, not so much.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Ebron could be that guy. He is much more of a match up challenge than any of the WRs being discussed
    I read that Ebron has one of the highest dropped ball percentages out of the TEs. Over 11%. Does that concern you? I will post the link if I can remember where I read it.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I read that Ebron has one of the highest dropped ball percentages out of the TEs. Over 11%. Does that concern you? I will post the link if I can remember where I read it.
    Heard or read the same about Evens or Benjamin (not sure which one). The high rate of dropped passes yes concern me. But they still make big plays also. Always so many questions when dealing with the draft. I guess that is one reason why it is fun. I would still like to have a more balanced TE and a "taller" WR like 6-2 (and up) with some speed is good enough for me.