Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Draft

Pro Bowler
    i thought the reason draft picks dont contribute for us is because 'we ares so good and there arent any spots up for grab'.
    i would have to think after back to back non winning seasons, and cowher players leaving, there is room for lots to make an impact
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i thought the reason draft picks dont contribute for us is because 'we ares so good and there arent any spots up for grab'.
    i would have to think after back to back non winning seasons, and cowher players leaving, there is room for lots to make an impact
    your mock draft does a great job showing areas of need...

lol @ 3-7 defense.

Just sign Delmas and the Steelers would already be off to a great start for the offseason.
    Round 1, Pick 15 (15)- Ryan Shazier, ILB; Ohio State
    Round 2, Pick 14 (46)- Stephon Tuitt, DE; Notre Dame
    Round 3b, Pick 33 (97)- Dri Archer, RB; Kent State
    Round 4, Pick 18 (118 )- Martavis Bryant, WR; Clemson
    Round 5, Pick 17 (157)- Shaquille Richardson, CB; Arizona
    Round 5b, Pick 33 (173)- Wesley Johnson, OT; Vanderbilt
    Round 6, Pick 16 (192)- Jordan Zumwalt, OLB; UCLA
    Round 6b, Pick 39 (215)- Daniel McCullers, DT; Tennessee
    Round 7, Pick 15 (230)- Rob Branchflower, TE; Massachusetts

Backup
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

Don't forget how that unfolded. Hampton had to take over week 7 for in ineffective Kendrick Clancy. Von Oelhoffen came here to play DE with Smith and started at DE with Clancy at nose. He didn't slide out when Hampton came here. He slide inside in '04 when Hampton went down for the year with his knee.

Nix will still have a learning curve. If you watch the tape on him at ND, he still likes to be a penetrator in the run game. He would also have to unseat McClendon. Hood & Heyward didn't start right away but they had people in front of them. Even if they didn't...They weren't starter ready. If Nix ends up being BPA at #15...I'm sure they will consider. Right now, he isn't inside the Top 20 & weight, conditioning, & knee issues have to be answered. Add in the fact the NT played 30% of the defensive snaps last year...They better be 110% sure on him. Two new starters in the secondary probably pushes that 30% closer to 50% so that would make more sense then.

The "Any other guy we pick requires significant time to acclimate to the pro game, the system," goes for any rookie...Regardless of side of the ball. Rookie years for Wallace (39/756 6 tds), Sanders (28/376 2 tds), & Brown (16/167-17 kr 1 td) gave contribution as 3rd & 6th rounders. The last 2 1st rd WR / TE picks of Holmes & Miller pitched in 88/1,283 8 tds combined their rookie years. That's contribution. If I go back to 2000 (5 picks), rookie defensive 1st round picks started 17 of 78 games their rookie years. 8 of them were JJ this year. If I do the same for offensive 1st round picks (8 picks), they started 75 of 96 games. Not in those numbers are the 12 games Decastro missd in the beginning of the year or the 13 games Mendy missed after his injury. That would have been 25 more starts making that number 100 out of 121 games. I think the evidence is overwhelming that offensive guys see the field sooner & contribute which is contrary to your "significant time to acclimate to the pro game" claim.
    Got to come back and own the inaccuracy of my statements... dude, you brought some serious data to this party. Footballreference.com, or Rainman? Guess I need to go find a new draft fave to push...

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    It wasn't that the Steelers were so good, the rookies just weren't better than the guy in front of them, that doesn't necessarily mean the guy in front of them was good, just that the rookie wasn't as good.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    Got to come back and own the inaccuracy of my statements... dude, you brought some serious data to this party. Footballreference.com, or Rainman? Guess I need to go find a new draft fave to push...
    Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    There is no reason to not push for Nix. He is 1st round talent. The process has just begun and he could elevate himself into the BPA at #15 as easily as anyone else. Everyone must remember...THAT IS THE #1 DRIVING FORCE FOR THE 1ST PICK. "NEED/WANT" may decide the pick if grades are close...But that is the deciding factor. Weighing in at 331 at the combine is a tremendous boost to his stock imo. That shows me, as well as teams, he had dedication to his next step through the injury layoff. That was one of the questions that had to be answered. I'm sure the kid will interview well & no real off field red flags. If his medical checks out...That will be his next hurdle. That looks to be good. With a good combine...He will move himself up the board into the conversation. The negatives about his game as it relates to the Steelers won't move him down the board. That's all part of the transition process that goes with EVERY selection. The Steelers will know the importance of his "fit" & that may impact his overall grade (Up or Down). Unfortunate for us, the "fit" conversation is between Colbert, Tomlin, DL, etc. The answer to that conversation may only be discovered if Nix is there at #15 & if he ends up being or not being the selection.

I have followed the Steelers since I could count my age on one hand. So the details of what happens in the organization over the years is from recollection...."Yeah...def...definitely recollection." Stats & things all Steelers are all over the net if you have time to do research. If you want a pretty good summary over the years...I provided a link below.

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/...eelers/history