Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers GM: This is the deepest draft in 30 years

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers GM: This is the deepest draft in 30 years

Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert has been evaluating NFL players for three decades. And he thinks this year’s crop is the best he has ever seen.

Funny thing though, Colbert said the same thing that makes this the deepest draft is also the thing that makes it a crap shoot. He told Steelers Digest why.

“A lot of (the depth of talent in the draft class) is due to the influx of the underclassmen,” said Colbert, “but what I will also say in regards to that is, although it’s a talented group, it also has a bigger chance of failing because you’re going to get a lot of kids who aren’t physically or emotionally ready for (the NFL)."

"We’re concerned about how many of those players came out prematurely and won’t be ready for this next challenge. I think that we have to be able to sort through them, because they’re not all ready for this.”

Many expect the Steelers to draft a wide receiver early in the draft. Especially is they lose Emmanuel Sanders in free agency. Lucky for Colbert there are many available, and most were at least juniors.

[url]http://fansided.com/2014/02/13/steelers-gm-deepest-draft-30-years/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If getting a few extra picks is on Colberts's agenda I'm all for that. Trading back may be in the cards for this draft.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm still ticked we lost our third round this year. I truly believe if this was another coach or team it would have not been an issue

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I'm still ticked we lost our third round this year. I truly believe if this was another coach or team it would have not been an issue
    Trading away a third for ST I have no problem with that. Getting a 3rd round comp pick for MW will soften that IMHO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    If getting a few extra picks is on Colberts's agenda I'm all for that. Trading back may be in the cards for this draft.
    I can see them moving around the board in later rounds, but if they have a shot at an elite guy at 15, which they might given the number of QBs who could go early, I'd like to see them grab that guy. This team needs difference makers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Still love the shamarko thomas trade.

Its deep because theres a record number of underclassmen lol

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe, given our cap situation and upcoming contract negotiations, it is good cause to think about trading quality players who are coming up for their contract, for young (cheaper) players.

I'm not anywhere in that camp that thinks Velasco or Cody Wallace = Pouncey, but I think he is coming up for contract next year? I think he is still one of the best Centers in the league, but given our cap situation and the fact that he'll probably cost a lot... I wonder if there is any potential for trading him now. His (and his brother's) unseemly sort of actions over the past few years (nothing illegal), don't help my impression of him either.

I just think we can get cheaper, accumulate picks in "the best draft in a long time", would be a good thing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Trading away a third for ST I have no problem with that. Getting a 3rd round comp pick for MW will soften that IMHO.
    Thanks for talking me off the ledge.

Legend

User Info Menu

Apparently Mike Mayock agrees with Colbert that this is a deep draft. Of all the talking heads, he seems to be the most reputable.

[URL="https://twitter.com/Ken_Laird"]Ken Laird@Ken_Laird [/URL] [URL="https://twitter.com/Ken_Laird/status/435853432080322560"]10m[/URL]
    Mayock: "one GM told me having a top 20 pick this year is similar to having a top 10 last year" [URL="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash"]#Steelers[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Draft’s enormous depth, quality likely will play right into Steelers’ hands

February 19, 2014
    By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS — When Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said last week that the 2014 NFL draft is as deep as any he has seen in 30 years, he was not a lone voice in the wilderness. Many other general managers and draft evaluators have similar views about this group of college prospects.

“From my perspective, this is the deepest and best draft class in 10 years,” NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said. “That has been reinforced by most general managers and scouts in the league. They say having a top-20 pick this year is like having a top-10 pick last year.”

That’s good news for the Steelers, who have the No. 15 pick. Starting today, the Steelers and every other team in the league will descend on Lucas Oil Stadium for the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, where more than 300 draft hopefuls will jockey for position in the draft.

Why is this draft so good? It comes down to college players wanting to get paid.

There are 98 underclassmen eligible for the draft, and 85 were invited to the combine. The number of underclassmen declaring early has skyrocketed in recent years.

A year ago, 73 underclassmen declared for the draft. In 2010, the number was 53. And those who choose to do so rarely are disappointed.

Sophomores and juniors are drafted early. A year ago, half the first-round draft picks, 16 of 32, were underclassmen.

This has created a double-edged sword for NFL teams. More elite talent is at their disposal, but they know less about younger players because there are not as many games to review. There also is the possibility some could use more seasoning, a redshirt year in effect.

“It’s interesting,” Mayock said. “There are a lot of mixed emotions on that around the league. I think it’s easier to evaluate a guy after four or five years in college. You get a more mature football player, so you’re taking some of the variables out of play.

“I think there are more risks,” he said with so many underclassmen available. “However, there are better football players out there. It’s a mixed bag. In a perfect world, there would be fewer coming out. But the NFL can’t do anything about it. You just do your best to evaluate them.”

The Steelers are doubly fortunate this year because, in addition to the number of elite players in the first round, this draft is deep and talented at positions where they have needs.

Mayock said this is the best draft for receivers in years. Sammy Watkins of Clemson is expected to be drafted in the top five, but Mayock said the Steelers, if they wanted to go that route, would be able to get one of the other top three receivers at No. 15. His top three receivers after Watkins are Marquise Lee of Southern California, Mike Evans of Texas A&M and Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State, in that order.

All three are underclassmen. Evans and Benjamin are third-year sophomores and Lee is a junior.

Mayock also touted the depth at cornerback and offensive tackle, two other positions the Steelers could be looking to fill in May.

“There is more quality in the top end of the draft than there has been in a long time,” Mayock said. “You can go three or four rounds deep and get a starting tackle.”

Interestingly, one position Mayock is not as confident in this year is quarterback, which poses some problems for teams at the top of the draft.

Several teams drafting in the top 10 need quarterbacks, but Mayock is not convinced any of the prospects in this class will develop into All-Pros.

Mayock’s top quarterback is Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville followed by Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M and Blake Bortles of Central Florida.

“None of them are Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck,” Mayock said.

“The more I watch all three of them the more questions I have. I don’t want to overanalyze them, but I can pick apart all three. I could not pick apart Andrew Luck.”

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/02/20/Draft-s-enormous-depth-quality-likely-will-play-right-into-Steelers-hands/stories/201402200182#ixzz2tpjUgoRs[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha