Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Timing right for Steelers to draft tall WR

tall/short doesn't matter... i hope they draft a GOOD receiver with passion and drive. Give me 4 Antonio Browns and i'll beat a team with 4 Hakeem Nicks
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    It will be WR in the first this year. It is the offense's year for the first round.
    The pattern has held true back to 2007, but before that, the Steelers went offense in 3 consecutive years with Ben, Heath and Holmes. If there is a guy that the Steelers feel can be elite in the first, I think they can and should grab a WR. If they don't see a big difference, I'd be fine with them waiting to the second in what appears to be a deep WR draft.

I'd prefer Jordan Matthew or Allen Robinson over Davante Adams. What Matthews did in the SEC the past two years cannot be ignored.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

Jordan Matthews in the second would be the perfect scenario, but I doubt he lasts that long.

I wouldn't take Benjamin or Evans at 15. We all know Watkins doesn't make it out of the top ten, if not sooner. If I had to choose a WR, Marqise Lee would be my pick in the first, but not at 15.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Jordan Matthews in the second would be the perfect scenario, but I doubt he lasts that long.

I wouldn't take Benjamin or Evans at 15. We all know Watkins doesn't make it out of the top ten, if not sooner. If I had to choose a WR, Marqise Lee would be my pick in the first, but not at 15.
    Interesting... I think a lot of these WR's are closer in talent and I wouldn't be surprised if the kid from Vandy, Lee or some other WR ends up being a more complete WR than the top 3 that are getting all the shine.

I think the same goes for TE. Ebron is the new Eifert... but how many people said a word about Jordan Reed from Florida? I hope we can find these types of studs in later rounds instead of thinking we need them in the first.

I'm still D first and D often because our D is pathetic compared to what we are used to... it won't happen overnight but we need bodies to get into the system ASAP.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Interesting... I think a lot of these WR's are closer in talent and I wouldn't be surprised if the kid from Vandy, Lee or some other WR ends up being a more complete WR than the top 3 that are getting all the shine.

I think the same goes for TE. Ebron is the new Eifert... but how many people said a word about Jordan Reed from Florida? I hope we can find these types of studs in later rounds instead of thinking we need them in the first.

I'm still D first and D often because our D is pathetic compared to what we are used to... it won't happen overnight but we need bodies to get into the system ASAP.
    I prefer a more balanced approach to the draft. Our offense showed at the end of last season we may be close to taking the step to the next level. We can't hinder that development with a knee jerk response to sell out for the defense. As you said, "it won't happen overnight" the mind numbing way our defense develops players and there is no ASAP on the defensive side.

Get the offense better!
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Starkey: Steelers should take wide receiver

Mike Evans, a 6-foot-5 wideout from Texas A&M, would be a welcome addition to the Steelers’ receiving corps.

By Joe Starkey
    Published: Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2014

As the 366-day-a-year NFL news cycle winds through Indianapolis via the scouting combine this week, thoughts invariably turn to one of two topics:

• Who should the Steelers draft?

• Will sociologists look back on the combine's consistently boffo TV ratings as evidence of the decay of Western civilization?

The second one's easy: Yes. The first is infinitely more challenging. It came up in conversation the other day when somebody suggested the Steelers take a receiver with the 15th pick. I laughed.

How could a team dying on defense even think about a receiver?

But the more you analyze the state of the franchise, the more it makes sense. I'm firmly on board. Take the receiver. If the offense is the better unit, fortify it. Strengthen your strength. Outscore people.

What's the point of taking a defensive player in the first round anyway? He'll need nine years to learn Dick LeBeau's system. Take the receiver.

If the Steelers are going to win next season, they're going to do it by way of an explosive offense that might be missing only one ingredient: a large, athletic, 21st century, jump ball-winning red-zone magnet.

Strengthen your strength. Don't try to fill one hole on a leak-ridden defense. Use temporary patches there.

Need a free safety? Sign Louis Delmas and his bad knee. He played through it last year. Need a corner? Find one cheap. Ask Ike Taylor to take a radical pay cut. Need one-year fill-ins? Bring back Brett Keisel and Larry Foote. Take a slew of defenders later in a draft some are labeling among the deepest ever.

It's the offense's turn to carry the franchise. The defense did it through most of a decade-long window of opportunity that slammed shut about two years ago. Ben Roethlisberger & Co. can open it again. Give the quarterback the kind of weapon he always has lacked — and I don't count Plaxico Burress, a 6-foot-6 first-rounder who played like he was 5-8 in his early years. (Did Plax ever win a jump ball? The Steelers would have been better off with a possession arrow.)

Strengthen your strength. If the offense is going to do the heavy lifting, give it another set of broad shoulders. This team needs a beast. Beasts are on the board. They should be, anyway, at No. 15.

Texas A&M's Mike Evans (6-5, 225 pounds) and Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin (6-5, 234) are names that stand out. I don't pretend to be able to trace their route trees, and I certainly won't draw conclusions based on what they look like running around in shorts. But I love what I saw in college.

Evans seems to have that Anquan Boldin quality of “If it's near me, I will catch it.” Benjamin was a human mismatch at FSU, with a penchant for clutch plays. Both lack raw speed. The Steelers don't need raw speed. If they want to go smaller and still find a big-time playmaker at the position, USC's Marqise Lee might be available. He has risen to No. 2 on several draftnik boards, behind Clemson's Sammy Watkins, who only would be available to the Steelers via trading up.

Think about what already returns from a unit that took on the look of a real point-producing NFL offense late in the season:

• A franchise quarterback who responded wonderfully to increased responsibility. Roethlisberger played the kind of quick-release, heady football his bosses envisioned when they hired Todd Haley — the kind of football they believe will keep him upright well into his 30s.

• A potential franchise running back in Le'Veon Bell.

• A clear No. 1 receiver in Antonio Brown.

• A presumably healthy, high-quality tight end in Heath Miller.

• A presumably healthy Pro Bowl center in Maurkice Pouncey and an emerging star guard in David DeCastro.

The tackle spots could be an issue, but if Mike Munchak is the miracle worker he has been portrayed as, maybe he'll top the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team and turn Mike Adams into an adequate pass blocker.

Or maybe scrappy Kelvin Beachum is the answer on Ben's blind side, and maybe Adams or Marcus Gilbert will provide just enough on the right.

I'm sure everyone would love to see a return to dominant defense. It's not going to happen next season. Respectability is the more realistic goal.

In the meantime, there's no rule that says you can't outscore teams. This offense seems poised to do just that. It needs one more piece.

Take the receiver.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarke...#ixzz2tml4Eh2I

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I prefer a more balanced approach to the draft. Our offense showed at the end of last season we may be close to taking the step to the next level. We can't hinder that development with a knee jerk response to sell out for the defense. As you said, "it won't happen overnight" the mind numbing way our defense develops players and there is no ASAP on the defensive side.

Get the offense better!
    The offense managed more the 23 pts/gm in 2013, which is better than the 2008 SB team and matches the 2010 SB team.
    Year-over-year offensive production has been rising since 2011.

The offense is good enough to make it to a Superbowl. New talent is only icing on a cake.

Fix the Defense..... early and often.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The offense managed more the 23 pts/gm in 2013, which is better than the 2008 SB team and matches the 2010 SB team.
    Year-over-year offensive production has been rising since 2011.

The offense is good enough to make it to a Superbowl. New talent is only icing on a cake.

Fix the Defense..... early and often.
    exactly... we are going to see a repeat of last year where our O is on the sidelines watching the D get walked over if we don't address the D early and often.

Hall of Famer
    Taking a WR early as absolutely nothing to do with not fixing the defense. If a WR grades out higher than a defensive player he will be the pick regardless. 8-8 equals 8-8...Two years in a row. Your offense that scored 23 points a game was 16th in the league. Combine that with a defense that gave up 23 points which was 19th worst. Neither good enough to get to the SB because we didn't! They need help on both sides but be dam sure they won't reach for their "BIGGEST" need in the 1st.