Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steeler Type of FA on market at FS...Who's in?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steeler Type of FA on market at FS...Who's in?

Lions released FS Louis Delmas. He will be 27 by season start & won't be counted against comp formula. Any takers?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He was one of their best defenders, guy simply cannot stay healthy though.

Id prefer Whitner or Malcolm Jenkins if we were targeting a middle market FA FS

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    He was one of their best defenders, guy simply cannot stay healthy though.

Id prefer Whitner or Malcolm Jenkins if we were targeting a middle market FA FS
    I can't see Whitner hitting the Steelers price range. I think that he goes for top dollar. I think that somebody will overpay for Jenkins because one GM is going to think that he can tap the potential that made him a first rounder.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm with you on Jenkins...I suggest him in another post & he would be my #1. I'm interested to watch the "cut" players. The Steelers seem to show some interested because it doesn't count against their comp picks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Jenkins was a guy i always liked as a FS conversion guy when he came out as a CB....just like Rolle, Aaron Williams, ect...but hes also one of those guys that I think could definitely play CB for us in a pinch, hes not a CB in every scheme but I wouldnt hate it if he got looks there if someone went down.

Another potential guy Id like as far as a "cut list" would be alex carrington from the bills...he never really had a fit there, at 6-5 305 he was moved to OLB (why the bills are square peg in a round hole champions of the universe) but i always thought hed be a great fit as a 5 tech. He couldnt carve out a spot as a DT there once they moved to a 43 with Dareus and Williams there already.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers showed interest in Jenkins coming out. Many thought he was a trade up target but he didn't fall to where they would have been able to touch him from #32. They ended up drafting Lewis & Burnett in that draft instead. I agree about the assessment & is exactly why he is #1 on my list. He is a true CF FS & would allow Troy to stay in box. Upper tier cover skills for a FS & would help with TE match-ups. He is the type of FS that would allow the Steelers to stay in base with Cover 1 against certain personnel packages that forced the Steelers to nickel in 2013. Delmas is closer to Jenkins than Clark in terms of skills. I would take Jenkins as our big FA signing...But if we had to have a fall back plan Delmas would be ok by me.

I think Carrington is an UFA. I remember when he came out the Steelers had him in for a visit. Like you said, he was projected as a 5 tech. If his quad tendon is healed & he could pass a physical...He may be worth a look. He is one of those Steeler type of FA signings where he is under the radar & could be ready to start.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 02-14-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Exactly, Im not saying he will ever be a star player but he could fill a decent role and make hood even more expendable

Also, he could be a long term solution at the position

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

3 years 11.5 million is what whitner got from the niners, thats not a bad deal imo....hes not getting any younger, i doubt someone breaks the bank for him like the bucs did for goldson.

The overpay because they were a first round pick didnt happen for Rolle, Kenny Philips, or Michael Huff....GMs are not really inflating the FA market as much anymore for average players

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think the guys that were cut will command market value. These guys can sign with any team before FA. Most of them would welcome the phone call because teams may be waiting for that FA target to hit before the sign a guy now so they won't pick up the phone. A team, like the Steelers, may reach out to one of these guys. These players don't have a fallback plan because they aren't testing FA & going back to their old team with an offer on the table. The have to make a new start somewhere...Getting there & getting into the offseason program as soon as it starts is important.

The reason I started the Delmas tread is his relationship he has with Antonio Brown. Many may not know the two go back to rivals in high school in Miami. Long story short...A friendship was made that followed a brawl in the last game of the season. The two have been friends since then. Perhaps the connection could help Delmas land with the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am all for Louis Delmas, if it wasn't mentioned...I would have been one to mention about Delmas!
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa