Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steeler Type of FA on market at FS...Who's in?

If they sign Delmas, could they roll with Delmas and Shark, then bring back Clark as insurance at a significantly reduced rate and cut Polamalu? Didn't Troy indicate that he intends to play out his contract as is without a cut in pay and with only one season left a restructure doesn't seem to be beneficial. If they cut Troy they save his 8.25 million salary, but have to pay him what's left of his signing bonus which is 2.67 million dollars and that's it, they're free of his contract. Do I have that right?

Maybe, as fans, our thinking that a Clark release is a no brainer, but in reality, if they can sign a safety with experience and insert Shark to be his partner, then Clark might be able to be brought back on the cheap or roll with Golden as backup.

Does any of this make sense? Or, do I have Troy's contract, salary and cap hit all wrong?

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

I think this would be closing the door on clark, I think Shamarko gets worked in as a NB and backup for troy

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    If they sign Delmas, could they roll with Delmas and Shark, then bring back Clark as insurance at a significantly reduced rate and cut Polamalu? Didn't Troy indicate that he intends to play out his contract as is without a cut in pay and with only one season left a restructure doesn't seem to be beneficial. If they cut Troy they save his 8.25 million salary, but have to pay him what's left of his signing bonus which is 2.67 million dollars and that's it, they're free of his contract. Do I have that right?

Maybe, as fans, our thinking that a Clark release is a no brainer, but in reality, if they can sign a safety with experience and insert Shark to be his partner, then Clark might be able to be brought back on the cheap or roll with Golden as backup.

Does any of this make sense? Or, do I have Troy's contract, salary and cap hit all wrong?

Pappy
    You are correct that Polamalu could be released with a minimal cap hit, and with a savings of $8.25 million. I would prefer Delmas as a replacement for Clark as opposed to Polamalu, but I suppose its possible that they could release Troy to save the cap room and go with Delmas and Thomas. That said, I'd hate to see them replace Troy.

My concern with Delmas is the health issue - I read that he barely practiced last year due to his knees, and he missed half of the season before.

If Delmas signs, I'd prefer to go into the season with Delmas/Polamalu and Thomas. For all of his flaws, Troy is still one of the few guys in the secondary who can generate turnovers.

Hall of Famer
    If I had to guess...Troy remains on an extension that simply spreads his base to '15-'16...Best case for him. They may ask him to take pay cut but playing all 16 games last season helped him. Clark heads to ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    You are correct that Polamalu could be released with a minimal cap hit, and with a savings of $8.25 million. I would prefer Delmas as a replacement for Clark as opposed to Polamalu, but I suppose its possible that they could release Troy to save the cap room and go with Delmas and Thomas. That said, I'd hate to see them replace Troy.

My concern with Delmas is the health issue - I read that he barely practiced last year due to his knees, and he missed half of the season before.

If Delmas signs, I'd prefer to go into the season with Delmas/Polamalu and Thomas. For all of his flaws, Troy is still one of the few guys in the secondary who can generate turnovers.
    My question is how do they carry his 10 million dollar cap hit and sign Delmas or Jenkins or any other FA safety? It would seem an extension would have to be offered, but at what number for a 32 year old safety and for how many years?

Extending Ben, cutting Troy, Clark and Ike would in all likelihood get the Steelers under the cap wouldn't it? I hate the idea of cutting Troy, because I always thought Troy would be a lifer, but the salary cap may put a damper on that. Of course, cutting 3/4 of the starting secondary probably isn't a good idea either.

Pappy

2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If I had to guess...Troy remains on an extension that simply spreads his base to '15-'16...Best case for him. They may ask him to take pay cut but playing all 16 games last season helped him. Clark heads to ESPN.
    Hasn't Polamalu already stated that a cut or any type of reduction is out of the question? He made a statement, I thought, about "playing out the contract as is with no changes" or something to that effect.

Pappy

2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB

Hall of Famer
    I was a little concerned with his reported knee issue. Interesting...I found all the reports were out of Detroit sources. What I found really interesting is there have been reports that the Lions were perusing him after his release to bring him back at a reduced salary. He signed a 2 year deal last offseason that had escalators in it. They created the contract to protect them because of the "so called" knee issue. Delmas played in all 16 games last season. Delmas is paid $110k for every game he plays & a 2014 $500k roster bonus. So his 2014 cap number could have raised to almost 9 mil. Seems they wanted out of the contract...But wanted Delmas back. I wonder how bad that reported "issue' really is.

Hasn't Polamalu already stated that a cut or any type of reduction is out of the question? He made a statement, I thought, about "playing out the contract as is with no changes" or something to that effect.

Pappy
    I'm not sure if he did say that. I've seen reports, based on unattributed statements, saying that he wouldn't take a pay cut, but they all originated with the site that shall not be named. I've never seen a report from a reliable beat writer stating that Troy wouldn't take a cut.

I agree with JPN that an extension for Troy to spread his salary for this year is the best case scenario. Give him something like a $1 million salary this year, and around $4 million in 2014-2015. The rest of his base for this year becomes a bonus. It's more guaranteed money for Troy, and a more palatable cap hit for the team.

Hall of Famer

Pappy

I don't remember seeing that Pap but I could have missed it. I remember that Rooney wanted him to retire a Steeler & Troy said he wants to come back if the Steelers let him.

Best case for Troy. The Steelers will extend him 2 years '15 & '16. Convert $7,250,000 of his base salary to bonus. That will create $2,416,666 x 3 over the 3 years of deal. His 2014 cap number will be $6,054,166. His base for '15 & '16 will probably be in the 2 mil range. If Troy retires after the '14 season...There will be 4.8 mil of dead money. If you get '15 out of him & he retires in '16...There is 2.4 mil of dead money. Thats best case...I don't think the Steelers give him any additional monies. Worst case...He takes a straight paycut or the extension is a combination of paycut & conversion.

Pappy
    From a money standpoint, I agree with you. The smarter bet is to sign Clark on the low, release Troy and use that money to sign Worilds. Keeping 3 OLBs makes sense. Keeping a Troy well past his prime at 8 million...not so much. The problem? The fans and the FO LOVE Troy...understandably so. But, his best ball is well behind him...and to use that money to solidify the OLB position makes the most amount of sense to me.