Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Tomlin Hire Assistants Like A Coach Afraid For His Job?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Does Tomlin Hire Assistants Like A Coach Afraid For His Job?

To me, it appears that Tomlin has no fear of losing his job...

Either that, or he has enough self-confidence that he does not see Munchak (or Haley for that matter) as a threat...

I think Tomlin believes that he will either coach well enough to keep his job or that he will be fired, regardless of who is on the staff, so why not hire the best people available?

And Tomlin is trusting Porter, who was very much a hotheaded player, to behave as a coach should behave...

Unless Art II is pulling the strings, as was hypothesized last season when Haley was hired...no such rumors with the Munchak hire this year, however...

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think he's the least bit afraid of losing his job. First, he's a pretty confident dude to begin with. Second, he's got a really good record overall. Third, he's won a Super Bowl and been to two. If he lost his job with the Steelers, I don't think he'd have any trouble finding employment elsewhere. I don't know what really happened with the Arians firing and Haley hiring. But I hope that by this point in his head coaching career, he's allowed to make HIS choices and let the chips fall where they may.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

Unless Art II is pulling the strings, as was hypothesized last season when Haley was hired...no such rumors with the Munchak hire this year, however...
    The Art II hypothesis was a bunch of BS, IMO. Tomlin makes the decisions on who his assistants will be.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin's acting like he wants to win some more SuperBowls.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    The Art II hypothesis was a bunch of BS, IMO. Tomlin makes the decisions on who his assistants will be.
    I hope so.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think he hires knowing he won't have a job if he doesn't surround himself with good coaches.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I don't think he's the least bit afraid of losing his job. First, he's a pretty confident dude to begin with. Second, he's got a really good record overall. Third, he's won a Super Bowl and been to two. If he lost his job with the Steelers, I don't think he'd have any trouble finding employment elsewhere. I don't know what really happened with the Arians firing and Haley hiring. But I hope that by this point in his head coaching career, he's allowed to make HIS choices and let the chips fall where they may.
    OK, I think the truth is fairly obvious. This is the team that took away Chuck Noll's authority to hire and fire, after winning an insane FOUR Super Bowls. It's what was the final straw in Chuck staying or retiring. Rooneys said he had to fire some of this staff, and Chuck said to cram walnuts. I read an article where it said "Tomlin" changed his assistant philosophy from going with youth and untested coaches, to much older, veteran coaches (With J-Peezy being the one exception, and I guess Lake of last year). Tomlin hasn't changed ANYthing in his philosophy; the Rooneys have stepped in an mandated these recent hires, make no mistake about it. Tomlin has had his wings clips, progressively since after the 2011 season. Each year, as their success wanes, MT has less and less power. Come on. You really think it was MT who decided to "retire" Arians and bring in Haley? If you think that, I got some prime swampland to sell you. Haley was a Pgh boy all along; his dad worked for the Steelers and he used to be a ball boy. That was 100% a Rooney hire.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    And to support this assertion, you point to what evidence and logic? Overnight the assistant coaching philosophy changed, and you attribute this to Tomlin? No way. The Rooneys are pulling the strings on personnel and coaches. It is overwhelmingly obvious.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Well, the only way he is "afraid of losing his job" would be to not go along with who the Rooneys say to hire, like Chuck Noll did in 1990. Rooneys told Chuck to fire some of his assistants, and Noll said hit the bricks. Tomlin is very much accepting the coaches who the Rooneys hire. They went from a model of going with young, unproven coaches to hire dudes with a lot of years of experience, with Lake and Porter being the exceptions (and they get a pass because they are former Steeler players; had they not been, they wouldn't have gotten a sniff of interest from the team.) All other spots are being given to vets across the board. Did Tomlin come up with that strategy/philosophy change all on his own? Please. Not even close.

Legend

User Info Menu

If sick beats says it.....

it must be true. Just ask him.