Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Tomlin Hire Assistants Like A Coach Afraid For His Job?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    If sick beats says it.....

it must be true. Just ask him.
    So, of course, you can refute the assertions since you say this. So, go right ahead and do just that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    OK, I think the truth is fairly obvious. This is the team that took away Chuck Noll's authority to hire and fire, after winning an insane FOUR Super Bowls. It's what was the final straw in Chuck staying or retiring. Rooneys said he had to fire some of this staff, and Chuck said to cram walnuts. I read an article where it said "Tomlin" changed his assistant philosophy from going with youth and untested coaches, to much older, veteran coaches (With J-Peezy being the one exception, and I guess Lake of last year). Tomlin hasn't changed ANYthing in his philosophy; the Rooneys have stepped in an mandated these recent hires, make no mistake about it. Tomlin has had his wings clips, progressively since after the 2011 season. Each year, as their success wanes, MT has less and less power. Come on. You really think it was MT who decided to "retire" Arians and bring in Haley? If you think that, I got some prime swampland to sell you. Haley was a Pgh boy all along; his dad worked for the Steelers and he used to be a ball boy. That was 100% a Rooney hire.
    i think the rooneys gave him some leeway early but he has proven incapable of making great draft picks or hires.
    tomlin is either smart enough to know that he must surround himself with good experienced coaches to make up for his deficiencies or the rooneys know that and they have made the hires. i think past history shows the latter.
    hopefully they take away most of his influence come draft this year. he hasnt been able to replace cowhers players and win with his own.
    without a doubt tomlin would be hired in a minute if he was available, but unless he went to the handful of really stable orginizations, he would be exposed as an an average coach.
    i dont think tomlin is scared of losing his job. he knows why he was hired and what his role is. as long as he does what he is told and represent the team properly, he will be here awhile. win or lose.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Starter

User Info Menu

Successful leaders surround themselves with bright competent people,and empower them to do their job.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i think the rooneys gave him some leeway early but he has proven incapable of making great draft picks or hires.
    tomlin is either smart enough to know that he must surround himself with good experienced coaches to make up for his deficiencies or the rooneys know that and they have made the hires. i think past history shows the latter.
    hopefully they take away most of his influence come draft this year. he hasnt been able to replace cowhers players and win with his own.
    without a doubt tomlin would be hired in a minute if he was available, but unless he went to the handful of really stable orginizations, he would be exposed as an an average coach.
    i dont think tomlin is scared of losing his job. he knows why he was hired and what his role is. as long as he does what he is told and represent the team properly, he will be here awhile. win or lose.
    He is safe unless the bottom just completely drops out. He realizes that the Rooneys practically masturbate at their record of super low head coaching changes since 1970. After all their bragging on that issue, they will be super slow to make any changes, which could be bad for us fans this time around. I have never seen more praise for a coach who shows such poor decision making as Tomlin. Is there any other head coaches who could find a way to lose to Tim Tebow with the team MT had that play off game? He chose - and stayed with - the only D game plan that could allow Tebow to win, and he stubbornly stuck with it (all man-to-man, no safety help ever for deep balls) even in OT. That was the worst coaching job I have ever witnessed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Successful leaders surround themselves with bright competent people,and empower them to do their job.
    Bingo, that's the key to leadership. Hire good staff who are self motivated and bright. Then turn em lose and empower them to make decision...even mistakes.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    So, of course, you can refute the assertions since you say this. So, go right ahead and do just that.
    No need.. I'm not in the room when these decisions are made so its useless to argue over it.

I will say this... every NFL coach has to answer to their boss, even Billicheat.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think Tomlin looks over his shoulder no matter what. If I'm going to surround myself with assistants, you can bet it will be the best I can find. If they win with him as head coach, why would he not love that ? If he they fail at their jobs or can't make improvements to the team, Tomlin has no worries either. He hires a new assistant. One thing about the Steelers or rather two things about the Steelers... They hold on to their head coaches through all the ups and downs and they do not have an assistant move up to head coach when the time comes. Without trying to hijack this thread and I was about to start a thread for this one question, " why hasn't the NFL channel ever done " Football Life " on Chuck Noll ? This guy has more history, more winning, more smarts along with more, more, more than any of the guys I've watched on the show or whom they have covered.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The only people who think Tomlin is merely an average coach are found on this board and pretty much nowhere else....

Legend

User Info Menu

I know lots of folks on this board think his job is set in stone for the next 10 years...regardless of his record... but I still think next year's outcome will (if another sub par year) put Tomlin on the hot seat. Remember folks.. Ben's on the back half of his career here...and I don't think Tomlin > Ben in the eyes of the powers that be. If the Rooney's think there's another coach out there that can win a SB with BB... I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Tomlin fired.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Whether his job is set in stone or not, it does not appear that Tomlin is hiring coaches with any concern for his job security in mind...that was the point of my OP...he has three former HCs on his staff...