Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers Would Be Good Home For Michael Sam

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Are you serious??? You think he's making it up? Dude you're out of your mind. He told his entire college team before last season started. His roommates at Mizzou knew it (including this years NFL Defensive ROY Sheldon Richardson.)
    Hell no... I believe him.

I think the timing of his announcement is a calculated business decision. He's set for life and he hasn't played one down in the NFL.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-13-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    True... what's funny is Sam is getting nonstop calls from Fortune 500 companies.

IMO this coming out party was a calculated decision and I'm not sure how genuine it is.

The guy told his dad he was gay with a text the other day. "Dad, I'm gay" His dad got the message at Denny's and went straight to an Applebee's to get drown his sorrows... Sam said his dad received the news well but his dad had a different take.

He is going to bring a circus and I would hate to see our 1st round pick getting pushed out of the way so the media can talk to a 4th rounder about his sexual behavior.
    LOL. Sexual behavior huh? I doubt anyone asks about that if a player is gay OR straight. But if you call it a "behavior" that pretty much exhibits your level of understanding of the situation.

Perhaps this is the passive aggressive way of saying someone doesn't want a gay player that Shoe was talking about. And btw, the entire team has known about him for a while now, including his dad. This guy has character. I put money on it!

That being said, I think Pittsburgh would be a fine place for him if he makes the grade. And 10 years ago this board would be sounding off against hot political topics like this. Goes to show you how things have changed. I am impressed the discussion has been all football!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    LOL. Sexual behavior huh? I doubt anyone asks about that if a player is gay OR straight. But if you call it a "behavior" that pretty much exhibits your level of understanding of the situation.

Perhaps this is the passive aggressive way of saying someone doesn't want a gay player that Shoe was talking about. And btw, the entire team has known about him for a while now, including his dad. This guy has character. I put money on it!

That being said, I think Pittsburgh would be a fine place for him if he makes the grade. And 10 years ago this board would be sounding off against hot political topics like this. Goes to show you how things have changed. I am impressed the discussion has been all football!!
    That is naïve. The media have already plastered all over the headlines...first openly gay man in the NFL. That is a specific call to someone's sexual preference therefore behavior. While they may not get into gory details, it will be the focus of many interview questions...Hey Sam...what's it like being an openly gay man in an NFL locker room? Hey Sam, do people treat you different know that you have come out? These questions ALL revolve around his sexual behavior. You don't go up to Ike and say, hey what is it like to be an openly straight man in an NFL locker room. With that said, many wont want to deal with that distraction in their locker room...and they might be marked up to being homophobic and the like.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Being homosexual isn't a "preference"...nor is it a "behavior"...it is an orientation...

I'm sure he would have preferred to keep it private, knowing that his draft stock would drop (which, apparently, it has) and the odd anti-gay bias he would face (this thread is but a microcosm of the real world in that way)...but, if he doesn't address it, it becomes an issue (just as it did with Colorado's Nick Kasa) at the combine...causing his draft stock to drop...

Finally, questions like:

Hey Sam...what's it like being an openly gay man in an NFL locker room?
    and

Hey Sam, do people treat you different know that you have come out?
    Have nothing to do with anyone's sexual orientation, preference or behavior...they have to do with the conduct of the other players/organizational members...as long as those people are behaving in a professional manner, he can simply answer, "Great! It hasn't been an issue!" or "It's no different than being a heterosexual football player."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Being homosexual isn't a "preference"...nor is it a "behavior"...it is an orientation...

I'm sure he would have preferred to keep it private, knowing that his draft stock would drop (which, apparently, it has) and the odd anti-gay bias he would face (this thread is but a microcosm of the real world in that way)...but, if he doesn't address it, it becomes an issue (just as it did with Colorado's Nick Kasa) at the combine...causing his draft stock to drop...

Finally, questions like:

and

Have nothing to do with anyone's sexual orientation, preference or behavior...they have to do with the conduct of the other players/organizational members...as long as those people are behaving in a professional manner, he can simply answer, "Great! It hasn't been an issue!" or "It's no different than being a heterosexual football player."
    Semantics. If I engage in non marital sexual relations with females...that is sexual behavior and an orientation. To assume in all people who engage in same sex relations that it isn't a preference is again naïve. It's no longer culturally acceptable to say in some instances homosexual behavior is a preference, or even an extension of sex addiction. I believe most homosexual individuals were born with that predisposition. They didn't have a say over who they are attracted to, who they want to be with. But, to assume that is always the case has gone to the other extreme. In years past, homosexuality was considered a mental illness...a serious perversion. No one was born that way...you become that way. Now everyone is born that way. Both are incorrect. How do I know? Because I work with addicts...and they don't just engage chemicals. Sex addicts can work their way up the ladder much like an addict works their way into more and more tolerance. It takes more and more to have the same effect. Eventually it can lead to same sex relations and what not. Some will even completely abandon heterosexual relations and call themselves gay or bi. In these cases, it's indeed a preference. They were not born that way, nor were they oriented that way. Their addiction changed their brain chemistry...and now they have to engage certain behaviors for effect. There also those who were abused, and homosexuality becomes a defensive response to that abuse. While I don't believe any of these have anything to do with Sam, I grow weary of people who just assume all homosexuals were born that way. They are all "oriented" that way...have no choice over the issue. Not all were born that way...nor were ALL oriented that way. If people want to have honest discussions about sensitive subjects then both sides of this argument need to be honest. Trust me I have these same conversations with conservatives who believe all homosexuals are perverts who choose to have sexual attraction to the same sex.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Semantics. If I engage in non marital sexual relations with females...that is sexual behavior and an orientation. To assume in all people who engage in same sex relations that it isn't a preference is again naïve. It's no longer culturally acceptable to say in some instances homosexual behavior is a preference, or even an extension of sex addiction. I believe most homosexual individuals were born with that predisposition. They didn't have a say over who they are attracted to, who they want to be with. But, to assume that is always the case has gone to the other extreme. In years past, homosexuality was considered a mental illness...a serious perversion. No one was born that way...you become that way. Now everyone is born that way. Both are incorrect. How do I know? Because I work with addicts...and they don't just engage chemicals. Sex addicts can work their way up the ladder much like an addict works their way into more and more tolerance. It takes more and more to have the same effect. Eventually it can lead to same sex relations and what not. Some will even completely abandon heterosexual relations and call themselves gay or bi. In these cases, it's indeed a preference. They were not born that way, nor were they oriented that way. Their addiction changed their brain chemistry...and now they have to engage certain behaviors for effect. There also those who were abused, and homosexuality becomes a defensive response to that abuse. While I don't believe any of these have anything to do with Sam, I grow weary of people who just assume all homosexuals were born that way. They are all "oriented" that way...have no choice over the issue. Not all were born that way...nor were ALL oriented that way. If people want to have honest discussions about sensitive subjects then both sides of this argument need to be honest. Trust me I have these same conversations with conservatives who believe all homosexuals are perverts who choose to have sexual attraction to the same sex.
    We're just a bunch of yinzers that know as much about being gay as we do running a football team. To make this a non issue, society needs more in your face hot lesbian coverage by the media.

The first time I saw 2 girls making out in college, I knew gay was ok

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think hes probably a better conversion guy to a SAM in a 43 than a 34 OLB. Hes not really a good pass rusher despite the sack totals.

Pittsburgh would be a fine place for him, as would several other teams....but realistically for how well put together the locker room is, the city itself is not exactly gay friendly

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post

Whatever... Please give a list of acceptable words since you are the expert.

Michael Sam Sr. told
    [URL="http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/12/sports/football/for-nfl-prospect-michael-sam-upbringing-was-bigger-challenge-than-coming-out-as-gay.html?hp"]The New York Times[/URL] that he received the news last Tuesday when his son wrote in a text: "Dad, I'm gay."

Sam's father took the news hard. He said he was eating at a Denny's restaurant but had to leave after receiving the text.
    "I couldn't eat no more, so I went to Applebee's to have drinks," Sam Sr. told the newspaper. "I don't want my grandkids raised in that kind of environment."
    Sam Sr., who described himself as "old-school," told the newspaper the idea of a gay player in the NFL bothers him, even when that person could be his own son.
    He told the newspaper that late Hall of Famer Deacon Jones, the leader of the Rams' Fearsome Foursome who is credited with terming the word sack, "is turning over in his grave."
    He told the newspaper, however, that he loves his son and hopes he makes it into the NFL.
    "As a black man, we have so many hurdles to cross. This is just one he has to cross," Sam Sr. told The Times.

I guess last week is a while these days...
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-13-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

[url]http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10443289[/url]

Here is another story about Sam's room mate and his honest opinion of how it went down. While he was cool with it other players weren't and he is calling them out on their hypocrisy now that its front page and he is being viewed as a hero.

Sam asked 3 guys to go with him to a gay pride parade. One said yes, 2 said no because they were afraid to be alone with him.

All I am saying is the media has created this feel good story when the reality is this is going to be difficult, sensational and somewhat of a distraction given his draft stock.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Hell no... I believe him.

I think the timing of his announcement is a calculated business decision. He's set for life and he hasn't played one down in the NFL.
    My bad, I misunderstood your earlier post.

According to Sam, the timing of this has everything to do with the scouts. He said that once the season ends, all of the NFL scouts doing their due diligence start asking teammates questions. A sort of background check. Sam said since he never asked any of his teammates to hide it, he knew it would leak out, so he'd rather get ahead of the story and own it.

Reportedly, one of the classic questions scouts ask of everyone is "does he have a girlfriend?" And if not, it's "when was the last time he had a girlfriend" because they legally can't ask if he's gay or not.