Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers Would Be Good Home For Michael Sam

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    We draft and cut players all the time... all Pap is saying is THIS cut would come with intense scrutiny. It isn't worth it IMO for a late rounder
    Is everyone forgetting Pgh is pretty much a homophobic town? Did you'all forget the Kordell situation? Schenley Park stories? There are some towns where gay plays OK; Pgh ain't one of them.

That is 1., for 2., this kid will bring power distractions with him, regardless if he tries to or not. An unfocused team is a bad team. I wouldn't sign him if he goes undrafted.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The difference is that this guy is actually gay, not a straight guy like Kordell...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The difference is that this guy is actually gay, not a straight guy like Kordell...
    True... what's funny is Sam is getting nonstop calls from Fortune 500 companies.

IMO this coming out party was a calculated decision and I'm not sure how genuine it is.

The guy told his dad he was gay with a text the other day. "Dad, I'm gay" His dad got the message at Denny's and went straight to an Applebee's to get drown his sorrows... Sam said his dad received the news well but his dad had a different take.

He is going to bring a circus and I would hate to see our 1st round pick getting pushed out of the way so the media can talk to a 4th rounder about his sexual behavior.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If the Steelers think that he a good player and can help the team, I really don't give a rat's ass about the media or the egos of the other draft picks...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It is interesting the passive-aggressive way people couch their remarks, because they basically don't want a gay guy to be a player on the team they cheer for... and I don't think it is as much the "media circus" thing as it is the gay guy thing. On some level, they don't want the gay factor (they don't want their friends to razz them about him, etc.)

Because if wasn't gay, and you were told we could couple last year's SEC DPOY with this year's SEC DPOY by parting with a 4th, people here would be jumping for absolute JOY! Heck, we had people praising that ACC ham & egger Vince Williams as some bright prospect, after the draft. People were HAPPY to see that... but a guy like Sam? No, he's not worthy.
    Last edited by Shoe; 02-12-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You sure about that? His smoking hot wife said he had zero interest in getting giggy with it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If the Steelers think that he a good player and can help the team, I really don't give a rat's ass about the media or the egos of the other draft picks...
    I do, because distractions are team killers, and this guy will be a distraction, period.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

True... what's funny is Sam is getting nonstop calls from Fortune 500 companies.

IMO this coming out party was a calculated decision and I'm not sure how genuine it is.

The guy told his dad he was gay with a text the other day. "Dad, I'm gay" His dad got the message at Denny's and went straight to an Applebee's to get drown his sorrows... Sam said his dad received the news well but his dad had a different take.

He is going to bring a circus and I would hate to see our 1st round pick getting pushed out of the way so the media can talk to a 4th rounder about his sexual behavior.
    My thoughts exactly.

Starter

User Info Menu

Are you serious??? You think he's making it up? Dude you're out of your mind. He told his entire college team before last season started. His roommates at Mizzou knew it (including this years NFL Defensive ROY Sheldon Richardson.)

"I am (proud)," Richardson told SportsNet New York on Tuesday night, per the New York Post. "He had his best season when he came out to the team. I'm actually happy for him and it worked out for him, it didn't go the opposite way. I know he was scared and he was nervous, and being himself and him getting that monkey off his back was well worth it, because he had his best season of football at Missouri."

The Defensive Rookie of the Year said he knew Sam was gay when they roomed together at Missouri. Sam's sexuality didn't change how Richardson viewed his friend and teammate.

"Yes, I knew," he said. "Regular guy. He has his own sexuality. It didn't take nothing from him -- he was a great teammate, great person, everything you wanted out of Michael Sam, you got out of him." "If guys can't get past that, it's just crazy. It just might be weird at first for you if you're not used to it, but sexuality has nothing to do with him being on a football field. He's a completely different person, he puts his face on, no smiles, he's serious business. He's a killer."

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    You sure about that? His smoking hot wife said he had zero interest in getting giggy with it.
    In referring to "his smoking hot wife", you've answered your own ridiculous question...