Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 92

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers Would Be Good Home For Michael Sam

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post


    Whatever... Please give a list of acceptable words since you are the expert.



    Michael Sam Sr. told
    The New York Times that he received the news last Tuesday when his son wrote in a text: "Dad, I'm gay."

    Sam's father took the news hard. He said he was eating at a Denny's restaurant but had to leave after receiving the text.
    "I couldn't eat no more, so I went to Applebee's to have drinks," Sam Sr. told the newspaper. "I don't want my grandkids raised in that kind of environment."
    Sam Sr., who described himself as "old-school," told the newspaper the idea of a gay player in the NFL bothers him, even when that person could be his own son.
    He told the newspaper that late Hall of Famer Deacon Jones, the leader of the Rams' Fearsome Foursome who is credited with terming the word sack, "is turning over in his grave."
    He told the newspaper, however, that he loves his son and hopes he makes it into the NFL.
    "As a black man, we have so many hurdles to cross. This is just one he has to cross," Sam Sr. told The Times.

    I guess last week is a while these days...
    Did you read the rest of the article?

    If not, you definitely should...

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10443289

    Here is another story about Sam's room mate and his honest opinion of how it went down. While he was cool with it other players weren't and he is calling them out on their hypocrisy now that its front page and he is being viewed as a hero.

    Sam asked 3 guys to go with him to a gay pride parade. One said yes, 2 said no because they were afraid to be alone with him.

    All I am saying is the media has created this feel good story when the reality is this is going to be difficult, sensational and somewhat of a distraction given his draft stock.

    Sure it'll be a story, but I don't think it'll be a huge distraction. Here's another quote from that same story you quoted above.

    "We actually became closer as a team probably because of it," said senior defensive lineman Brayden Burnett. "It's the same as if you get to better know a friend or a family member. You just have a feeling of closeness."
    Again, I'm not advocating that the Steelers draft Michael Sam. I'm saying that if a team has him ranked high enough to draft him, and then they don't take the guy because he's gay, it's incredibly shortsighted and weak.
    Last edited by steelsnis; 02-13-2014 at 09:37 AM.

  3. #33
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Being homosexual isn't a "preference"...nor is it a "behavior"...it is an orientation...

    I'm sure he would have preferred to keep it private, knowing that his draft stock would drop (which, apparently, it has) and the odd anti-gay bias he would face (this thread is but a microcosm of the real world in that way)...but, if he doesn't address it, it becomes an issue (just as it did with Colorado's Nick Kasa) at the combine...causing his draft stock to drop...

    Finally, questions like:



    and



    Have nothing to do with anyone's sexual orientation, preference or behavior...they have to do with the conduct of the other players/organizational members...as long as those people are behaving in a professional manner, he can simply answer, "Great! It hasn't been an issue!" or "It's no different than being a heterosexual football player."
    C'mon.., all those questions have to do with HIS sexuality. While his draft stock may have dropped a little his name recognition has skyrocketed. He is a household name and it damn sure isn't because of his on field contributions.

    He can say its no different but it is...how many other mid rounders were frontpage news last week? How many late rounders has the first lady given words of encouragement to last week?

    His orientation, sexuality...whatever its called, is the only reasonwe are having this discussion right now.

    Who had him in a mock on this board? All of a sudden people want him to prove they are tolerant or because they want the spotlight.

  4. #34
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,323
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Sure it'll be a story, but I don't think it'll be a huge distraction. Here's another quote from that same story you quoted above.
    I think it would be a huge distraction... Mizzou didn't have to deal with the media so its easy to move on once the games begin. If the media new last August the whole season is amedia circus and we have no idea how his team responds if he is getting a ton of press.

  5. #35
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,092
    At 6'2 / 255 he's too short and small to be an NFL DE. He would best work as a 3-4 OLB. The issue is it's been widely reported that he struggled mightily at that position, with his hand off the ground, during Senior Bowl practices. It was not something that appeared to be a natural fit.

    NFLDraftscout.com has him as the 110th overall prospect. 4th round. The question becomes - should the Steelers take a guy in the 4th who is guaranteed to be changing positions and has so far shown to be not adjusting well to the switch. Is it worth it to take a guy who almost certainly adds nothing but special teams play for the first season or two?

    If coaches Butler and Porter see something in the kid and think they can accelerate the transition, then maybe he is worth a 4th or 5th round pick. If not, then everything else is a moot point.

  6. #36
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Did you read the rest of the article?

    If not, you definitely should...
    I did.... and nothing I read suggested otherwise.I know Sam says it went well....but his Dad said otherwise and it sounded like an honest reaction from a father who just found out his kid was gay in a text message.

  7. #37
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    At 6'2 / 255 he's too short and small to be an NFL DE. He would best work as a 3-4 OLB. The issue is it's been widely reported that he struggled mightily at that position, with his hand off the ground, during Senior Bowl practices. It was not something that appeared to be a natural fit.

    NFLDraftscout.com has him as the 110th overall prospect. 4th round. The question becomes - should the Steelers take a guy in the 4th who is guaranteed to be changing positions and has so far shown to be not adjusting well to the switch. Is it worth it to take a guy who almost certainly adds nothing but special teams play for the first season or two?

    If coaches Butler and Porter see something in the kid and think they can accelerate the transition, then maybe he is worth a 4th or 5th round pick. If not, then everything else is a moot point.
    I agree....

    I bet all 32 teams have newspapers talking about how they are the perfect fit for Sam.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I did.... and nothing I read suggested otherwise.I know Sam says it went well....but his Dad said otherwise and it sounded like an honest reaction from a father who just found out his kid was gay in a text message.
    I was not referring to the father...I was referring to all of the positive parts of the article...

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    At 6'2 / 255 he's too short and small to be an NFL DE. He would best work as a 3-4 OLB. The issue is it's been widely reported that he struggled mightily at that position, with his hand off the ground, during Senior Bowl practices. It was not something that appeared to be a natural fit.

    NFLDraftscout.com has him as the 110th overall prospect. 4th round. The question becomes - should the Steelers take a guy in the 4th who is guaranteed to be changing positions and has so far shown to be not adjusting well to the switch. Is it worth it to take a guy who almost certainly adds nothing but special teams play for the first season or two?

    If coaches Butler and Porter see something in the kid and think they can accelerate the transition, then maybe he is worth a 4th or 5th round pick. If not, then everything else is a moot point.

    A tip of the hat to you sir. The best post in this thread... Sanity prevails. Couldn't have said it better... Just lock this baby down now...

  10. #40
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    In referring to "his smoking hot wife", you've answered your own ridiculous question...
    How so? Why did he marry her then? She said he never got giggy.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •