Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cap Casualties as Potential FA Targets

Legend

User Info Menu

Cap Casualties as Potential FA Targets

Whether coincidence or not, it seems that the Steelers often target players that are released as opposed to FAs whose contract has expired. Last year, the Steelers signed Spaeth and Gay, both cuts, and they also brought in a few players who had been released (Kellen Davis, a TE, and a few others).

With that in mind, here is a link to potential 2014 cap cuts.

[url]http://overthecap.com/potential-2014-salary-cap-cuts/[/url]

I could see a few guys helping the Steelers:

1) Vince Wilfork - coming off an injury, but a monster against the run who can also push the pocket a bit. Slide McClendon to DE.

2) Paul Posluszny - first, let me say I was not in the camp that wanted to draft him in the first round when he came out. I thought he'd be solid but not an impact player, which seems generally accurate. I think he'd be a nice compliment next to Timmons. I was also surprised to see that he has more pass breakups and interceptions than Timmons. Timmons has a huge lead in sacks, and Pos has more total tackles (which is to be expected). This would be a nice tandem if his salary demands were reasonable.

3) Cortland Finnegan - I have not followed him closely, but if the Steelers added a veteran corner, he has ties to Munchak.

4) Adam Carriker - injured the past few years. Would give him a shot if willing to play for cheap in order to reestablish himself.

5) Jermaine Gresham - surprised to see him on the list, but if he's cut, he'd be an upgrade as the #2 TE. Only 25 years old.

6) Tommy Kelly - big body for defensive line coming off injury.

May be a few other names on the list, but I thought these guys would be interesting.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm afraid I don't see any of these players becoming Steelers this year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Even though this list is about potential cuts I will play along. Depending on Foote and Spence's health, Posluszny could be a nice stop gap if cheap enough. Also I like Carriker for a rotational player depending on what happens with Hood at this point. Not really sure what we have in the very young DE's right now. Not sure of the CB's or WR's on that list at this point. There are a few more ILB's to look at maybe. Of course this will become more of a hot topic after the draft. But the are a few positions that could be upgraded or just a stop gap player if the price is right.

Legend

User Info Menu

Poz and Gresham would be nice.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Finnegan he brings attitude to playing defense and the Steeler defense needs someone that is just plain mean and nasty, I would prefer that it be a linebacker, but that guy doesn't exist on the roster, so, sign Finnegan for his nasty demeanor if nothing else and see if it catches on with the other guys.

The defense needs a Lambert, Lloyd, Gildon, Porter, Blount, or Harrison type personality, James left for Cincy and the defense has lost its identity IMO, Jones is doing happy face Subway commercials, Timmons just goes out and gets the job done, Williams was a rookie, Worilds didn't show up until the last half of the season, and Woodley, well, he's been disappointing the past couple years, there's no mean and nasty attitude on this team right now.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Aside from Carriker there would be a lot of money in all of them

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How about Gabe Carimi for some OL depth.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I like Finnegan he brings attitude to playing defense and the Steeler defense needs someone that is just plain mean and nasty, I would prefer that it be a linebacker, but that guy doesn't exist on the roster, so, sign Finnegan for his nasty demeanor if nothing else and see if it catches on with the other guys.

The defense needs a Lambert, Lloyd, Gildon, Porter, Blount, or Harrison type personality, James left for Cincy and the defense has lost its identity IMO, Jones is doing happy face Subway commercials, Timmons just goes out and gets the job done, Williams was a rookie, Worilds didn't show up until the last half of the season, and Woodley, well, he's been disappointing the past couple years, there's no mean and nasty attitude on this team right now.

Pappy
    Finnegan is well past his prime.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Finnegan is well past his prime.
    And a punk. That is one cancer I would never want to see in a Steeler uniform.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

lol cancer? He has never done anything to be a team cancer