Whether coincidence or not, it seems that the Steelers often target players that are released as opposed to FAs whose contract has expired. Last year, the Steelers signed Spaeth and Gay, both cuts, and they also brought in a few players who had been released (Kellen Davis, a TE, and a few others).
With that in mind, here is a link to potential 2014 cap cuts.
I could see a few guys helping the Steelers:
1) Vince Wilfork - coming off an injury, but a monster against the run who can also push the pocket a bit. Slide McClendon to DE.
2) Paul Posluszny - first, let me say I was not in the camp that wanted to draft him in the first round when he came out. I thought he'd be solid but not an impact player, which seems generally accurate. I think he'd be a nice compliment next to Timmons. I was also surprised to see that he has more pass breakups and interceptions than Timmons. Timmons has a huge lead in sacks, and Pos has more total tackles (which is to be expected). This would be a nice tandem if his salary demands were reasonable.
3) Cortland Finnegan - I have not followed him closely, but if the Steelers added a veteran corner, he has ties to Munchak.
4) Adam Carriker - injured the past few years. Would give him a shot if willing to play for cheap in order to reestablish himself.
5) Jermaine Gresham - surprised to see him on the list, but if he's cut, he'd be an upgrade as the #2 TE. Only 25 years old.
6) Tommy Kelly - big body for defensive line coming off injury.
May be a few other names on the list, but I thought these guys would be interesting.