View Poll Results: Would you like the Steelers to draft this kid after the 4th Round?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 58.33%
  • No

5 41.67%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bettis, Clark support Michael Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Just what we need another "conversion" project...No thanks!
    We've done it successfully for years...Joey Porter was a "conversion project"...

As long as the 3-4 zone blitz remains our defense, we will likely continue to stock it the same way...

Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I really wish people would stop bringing up the color barrier when discussing gays... it's not the same thing.
    Dizz, You're one of my favorite posters on here and I agree with much of what you say in most cases. You're dead wrong on this one. Slapstick has it right, discrimination is discrimination. As I said previously, this is the EXACT same discussion that was going on in the 40's and 50's regarding African American athletes in pro sports.

Many were not "racist" but used the same tired excuse about "distractions" and "being uncomfortable" with a Black teammate. It takes a strong leader to stand up and say we're cool with that. After seeing Jackie Robinson being frozen out by his own teammates, the Dodgers star player Pee Wee Reese very publicly put his arm around Jackie and basically let everyone know that "Jackie's one of us."

I'm not Black, so I don't know the sting of outward discrimination. But you can bet Michael Sam knows it, on many different levels. He shouldn't have to hide who he is just to try and avoid another level of it.

Michael Sam's gay. It's not something he chose to be. He just is. You think that would be a choice that anyone would make considering the backlash that tends to go along with it? Especially if you're goal is to play in the NFL??? At least these day's it's easier for most people to accept.

No one is saying that everyone in the locker room has to like Michael Sam. Hell, no one in ANY locker room likes every single teammate. But for a team to pass on a player that they think could help them, because he happens to have a different preference is ridiculous. I guarantee you that there are gay players on nearly every team in the NFL. You hear more and more stories these days about ex-NFL players talking about having "suspicions" about certain players (Antonio Pierce suspected a couple of his Giants teammates were gay, Charlie Casserly said everyone knew there were multiple Redskins players who were gay 30-years ago and no one cared, The Houston Oilers talk about having a gay player on the team in the 90's)

My point is that in this day and age, this is not something a player should have to hide in order to get a job. In fact, it's illegal (though difficult to prove) for an employer to discriminate based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    My point is that in this day and age, this is not something a player should have to hide in order to get a job. In fact, it's illegal (though difficult to prove) for an employer to discriminate based on that.
    Hence all of the "he's overrated" stuff from NFL teams in the media....start the CYA immediately....