View Poll Results: Would you like the Steelers to draft this kid after the 4th Round?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 58.33%
  • No

5 41.67%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bettis, Clark support Michael Sam

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    SEC defensive player of the year? Yeah, clearly he can't play...
    Oh, OK, so where does he play on this D? Let's make up a new position just so we can appear gay friendly.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm not sure where he is a second round talent. From what I've read, many didn't have him in their top 100 prospects. Seems like a tweener who is limited in coverage. I've seen guys like this go in the third, or fall as UDFA.

For a player with seemingly a lot of limitations, it would be tough to invite the distraction and media attention.
    Exactly, Philly. Kiper and the cohorts had him going in the 3rd round at the highest. I wonder if this wasn't a move for Sam to hope to get taken earlier due to way more attention getting paid on him. Maybe he thinks if teams take a closer look someone might take him earlier than he would have gone otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Oh, OK, so where does he play on this D? Let's make up a new position just so we can appear gay friendly.
    Apparently, you did not read this:

If he's a good football player who can help the team, then, by all means, draft him...

He looks the right size for a DE to OLB convert...11.5 sacks last season...
    It's worse not to draft a player that you think can help your defense, especially since ours needs so much help, because of his sexual orientation...

Pro Bowler
    who cares, we had kordell
    1) CB D Dennard
    2) OLB R Shazier
    3) DE J Ellis
    4) WR M Bryant
    5a) OG D Yankey
    5b) OLB J Tripp
    6a) RB D Archer
    6b) NT D McCullers
    7) WR J Janis

SEC defensive player of the year? Yeah, clearly he can't play...
    Here is what Peter King had to say:

“We talked about it this week,” the GM said. “First of all, we don’t think he’s a very good player. The reality is he’s an overrated football player in our estimation. Second: He’s going to have expectations about where he should be drafted, and I think he’ll be disappointed. He’s not going to get drafted where he thinks he should. The question you will ask yourself, knowing your team, is, ‘How will drafting him affect your locker room?’ And I am sorry to say where we are at this point in time, I think it’s going to affect most locker rooms. A lot of guys will be uncomfortable. Ten years from now, fine. But today, I think being openly gay is a factor in the locker room.”I asked this general manager: “Do you think he’ll be drafted?”
    “No,” he said.
    Sam is from Hitchcock, Texas, near Galveston on the Gulf Coast. He led the SEC this year in combined sacks and tackles for loss and was voted the SEC Defensive Player of the Year. But he is smallish for an NFL defensive end or pass rushing outside linebacker at 6-1 and 260 pounds. He earned unanimous first-team All-America honors for Missouri, and teamed with first-round prospect Kony Ealy to form one of the best pressure rushing combinations in college football. Before the bombshell, Sam was rated as a third- or fourth-round prospect by many draft outlets. Mel Kiper had him as a fourth-rounder, pre-announcement, on ESPN Sunday night.
    As a 4-3 defensive end in college football, his size is good and acceptable, even if he’s not as athletic as some smaller defensive ends. But NFL personnel people fear that a player of his size who is not very quick will be neutralized by the bigger, athletic NFL tackles. But there are some teams that use lots of situational pass rushers who could find a role for Sam if he were a good and willing special-teams ace. And it’s likely he would be. He has a reputation for being a team guy willing to do what his coaches ask. His teammates at Missouri obviously like him a lot. He told them about his sexuality before last season, and they kept his secret for him.
    Based on that writeup, I could see him in the third or fourth round. But if he doesn't show good movement in coverage drills, I could see him falling to the fifth or even as a UDFA.

Here is another writeup talking about him struggling at OLB:

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/30...s-michael.html

I might be wrong, but I thought during the Senior Bowl that this was the guy that Charles Davis discussed as being a tweener that struggled at OLB.
    Last edited by phillyesq; 02-10-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Legend
    If he's a good football player who can help the team, then, by all means, draft him...

He looks the right size for a DE to OLB convert...11.5 sacks last season...
    It's tough finding football info about the kid, but it looks like 9 of his sacks came against 3 bad teams. So I'm not sure how good he is. But he's already the size of Woodley and Worilds. Why not take a flyer on him on day 3 as an OLB project? He looks fairly athletic in his highlights.

Yeah SHAWN, where's Q'bait??? I think either the Jets, Dolphins or Bills draft him. He'll probably sack Tom Brady 4 times a game, tee hee
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler
    1) I doubt he gets drafted, if he does someone might get a steal
    2) I think he ends up in Canada...where tony washington is currently dominating. He was the one that had sex with his sister when he was 15 and got slapped with the sex offender title. Went undrafted but has made a great career in toronto
    3) Not saying being gay = banging your sister, but there is a stigma that teams wont want to have to be the one to deal with. From the outside, as well as in the locker room.
    4) Sure, a lot of players will be ok with it...but a lot wont. A lot are very religious, and a lot are very uneducated and ignorant
    5) The BIGGEST problem in my opinion is that if hes drafted in the 4th or 5th round and gets cut (happens ALL time time), there will be nonstop questions on whether it was because hes gay or not. You draft him you have be be absolutely sure theres a place for him in the locker room and a spot for him to make an impact on the field because cutting him early in his career is a PR nightmare given the circumstances

Theres been gay players in all sports forever, but Mike Sam needs be be a successful one or hes just going to be the "proof" that gays are too girly to play in the league, or too soft, or dont have what it takes. sad but true

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    1) I doubt he gets drafted, if he does someone might get a steal
    2) I think he ends up in Canada...where tony washington is currently dominating. He was the one that had sex with his sister when he was 15 and got slapped with the sex offender title. Went undrafted but has made a great career in toronto
    3) Not saying being gay = banging your sister, but there is a stigma that teams wont want to have to be the one to deal with. From the outside, as well as in the locker room.
    4) Sure, a lot of players will be ok with it...but a lot wont. A lot are very religious, and a lot are very uneducated and ignorant
    5) The BIGGEST problem in my opinion is that if hes drafted in the 4th or 5th round and gets cut (happens ALL time time), there will be nonstop questions on whether it was because hes gay or not. You draft him you have be be absolutely sure theres a place for him in the locker room and a spot for him to make an impact on the field because cutting him early in his career is a PR nightmare given the circumstances

Theres been gay players in all sports forever, but Mike Sam needs be be a successful one or hes just going to be the "proof" that gays are too girly to play in the league, or too soft, or dont have what it takes. sad but true
    One of the things I heard on the radio today was there may be problems in the locker rooms because teams are predominantly made up of African American males and that group is the least tolerant of homosexuality. Just saying what I heard, not sure if it's true or has any basis in reality.

Maybe it has something to do with African Americans being on the down low. Again, something I'm not really familiar with, but have heard people suggest the numbers are relatively high. No idea what they are, but it does seem like it may be harder to come out of the closet as an African American male and that might be the subtle big deal in all of this.

Ive been racking my brain all day wondering why the media is making such a big deal out of this really.

Pro Bowler
    Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    Read an SI column where they talked to 8 GM's off record whose general consensus was "the league's not ready... the locker rooms aren't evolved enough." Said only a strong owner/veteran coach/ tight locker room would work. Kind of similar to the Mike Vick return situation. With so few teams able to take the guy, somebody could get a 2nd round talent on a 6th or 7th round price tag.
    Sad to day, the Vick situation was easier to deal with, on a locker room level, than this is. Players still all call each other "faggots" and the like. It's not a normal work environment. I think it's different from just "knowing" a teammate is gay, vs. it being a known, out-in-the-open fact. If someone is in the closet, they can let the fag comments go by, as, hey, they aren't gay so why would they be offended? Different kettle of fish when it's a known deal.