View Poll Results: Would you like the Steelers to draft this kid after the 4th Round?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 58.33%
  • No

5 41.67%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bettis, Clark support Michael Sam

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    This is such bs. All of these arguments, "it'll be a distraction" "teammates won't be comfortable" "negative fan reaction" etc, are EXACTLY what was said in the past about African American athletes integrating into MLB and NFL locker rooms.

If he fits your team and scheme, and he's available in the round you have him targeted, draft the guy. A strong coach and strong team leaders will make sure there aren't any real locker room issues. If your team is so weak and so lacking in leadership that drafting an openly gay player will tear you apart, then you've got bigger problems than that.
    I really wish people would stop bringing up the color barrier when discussing gays... it's not the same thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    You think someone would choose to be scrutinized to the nth degree in his personal life, in the hope of getting drafted, I don't know... one or two rounds earlier in a football draft???
    well, one thing for sure is Sam is going to make a lot of money even if he never plays a down in the NFL.

Some people are questioning if Jason Collins is truly gay because he had a GF for 8 years and dropped the news in what looked like a last ditch effort to catch on with a team.

I'm trying not to be skeptical about this news but after watching Macklemore win 3 or 4 grammys while pushing gay marriage...
    Frank Ocean "come out" right before his album dropped...
    Jason Collins get invited to every award show on earth...
    Every new TV show having a gay character...

One has to wonder if this is a perfectly times announcement to get his name in the news.

Who the hell was Sam 3 or 4 days ago?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of that part about being religious ... being "very religious" doesn't mean you are anti-gay, being anti-gay means you are anti-gay. Being religious means you love everyone (in a religious sense!), regardless of that other stuff.

And all this locker room "I'd sure like to think it would like to think it would work, but shucks, give it time, we're just not ready yet ...", sounds like total BS and prejudice by the owners or managers or whoever made those statements, on at least two counts: one, the experiment was done, it has *already* worked in the locker room, the one he's been a part of for the last year or two. Second, it sounds an awful lot like what the Jim Crow politicians said in the late '50s and early'60s about the black civil rights movement ... "What's their hurry, sure they'll get equality in time, don't they understand it'll be better for *everyone* if it just happened at a slower pace?".

I say: if some team (GM/owner/coach) thinks he's a good fit to help them win the Superbowl - draft him, and let the word go forth that any player that gets in the way of managements plans to win a Superbowl because they can't deal with a gay guy in the shower will be on the street in 10 minutes.

As far as I've heard, the white guy in the foxhole is pretty happy to have a black guy helping him shoot bad guys. "Just sayin!".
    Im not disagreeing with you at all, but it is completely ignorant to think religions love everyone and are gay accepting lol.

They might put god loves everyone on their mailings i guess.

Also, i think its bs that everyone would be ok with it....gayness is not accepted in 2014. I think it's naive to think that people aren't bothered by homosexuality anymore.

I think what's happening is homosexuality is getting the same treatment that racism gets. It's become closeted (no pun). 20 years ago it was socially acceptable to openly hate gay people. That's why it was so open. 20 years ago it wasn't socially acceptable to openly hate some minorities. So they didn't. But it still existed, it was just behind closed doors.

Today homosexuality faces the same problem. It's no longer socially acceptable to openly make fun of them. So it will become closeted hate like racism. The hate didn't go away, it just evolved.

Black males are also one of the least accepting races of gayness. Sure, coming from me id saying something just like you where a white guy would be happy to be fighting the bad guys next to a black guy, but football is not war, its a childs game played by a lot of very ignorant very spoiled people.

EDIT: I'd also like to add, when Aaron Rodgers gay rumors were cirlcing a few weeks ago i saw someone post a comment "Aaron Rodgers cant be gay, hes a beast at football and has said he loves jesus".....lol come on now, THATS what uneducated + religion brings to the table
    Last edited by K Train; 02-11-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I really wish people would stop bringing up the color barrier when discussing gays... it's not the same thing.
    It would be similar if we were talking about Johnny Manziel being the gay dude instead of Michael Sam. African American dudes had to be superstars to break the color barrier. In this case, we're just talking about a Joe Shmo. If Jackie Robinson had Michael Sam level talent, he woulda never got a shot to play ball ever. In that regard, it's a ridiculous comparison.

Rookie

User Info Menu

But, it is.

Discrimination is discrimination, regardless of basis...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Apparently, you did not read this:

It's worse not to draft a player that you think can help your defense, especially since ours needs so much help, because of his sexual orientation...
    Just what we need another "conversion" project...No thanks!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Who the hell was Sam 3 or 4 days ago?
    That's easy. He was a good college player who had a chance to get drafted higher than he will now.

Not because of what he is, but because of the media circus he has guaranteed will accompnay him into the NFL. Whoever advised him to make the announcement and go public gave him some really bad career advice.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That's easy. He was a good college player who had a chance to get drafted higher than he will now.

Not because of what he is, but because of the media circus he has guaranteed will accompnay him into the NFL. Whoever advised him to make the announcement and go public gave him some really bad career advice.
    I dont think it was bad advice if hes willing to be Mike Sam, the gay NFL player

If mizzou knows, NFL teams know...now it doesnt look like hes hiding something (which would push him down even further). He is going to be able to cash in on this one way or another, I hope its becoming a good football player and not just a bunch of crying on talk shows about how being gay never gave him a chance in the NFL

I still think he goes undrafted, he is a draftable player but he isnt a slam dunk prospect to begin with.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I dont think it was bad advice if hes willing to be Mike Sam, the gay NFL player

If mizzou knows, NFL teams know...now it doesnt look like hes hiding something (which would push him down even further). He is going to be able to cash in on this one way or another, I hope its becoming a good football player and not just a bunch of crying on talk shows about how being gay never gave him a chance in the NFL

I still think he goes undrafted, he is a draftable player but he isnt a slam dunk prospect to begin with.
    My point is NFL teams probably already knew so why make it a media event?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    My point is NFL teams probably already knew so why make it a media event?
    Well......thats what we do, that what espn does, thats what the NFL does...welcome to america lol