Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Works With Moye And Wheaton In SoCal

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wheaton could get zero separation last year but i think he going to be a good one. I think he will be able to fit into the role Nate Washington had early in his career, the same one that holmes and wallace played at first as well.

Moye runs rounded routes and cannot separate. Im rooting for him, but I wouldnt get too excited

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Wheaton could get zero separation last year but i think he going to be a good one. I think he will be able to fit into the role Nate Washington had early in his career, the same one that holmes and wallace played at first as well.

Moye runs rounded routes and cannot separate. Im rooting for him, but I wouldnt get too excited
    Nothing I've seen from Wheaton or read about him indicates that he has deep speed that is even close to Wallace or Nate Washington.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He does have that kind of speed, maybe not as much but close. He has really strong hands, something we never saw from the other two. I like his potential more than anything, but you are right...last year we saw none of that. Ill give him a pass though

Legend

User Info Menu

Unless, the Steelers draft a WR at 1.15 Ben will have to make do with one good receiver, a veteran (hopefully) and a group WRs that didn't get much time last year. Which has been the modus operandi at WR for the entirety of Ben's career, as soon as he gets comfortable with receivers the Steelers seem to place little value on continuity and high value on Ben's ability and they allow WRs to walk.

I often wonder what kind of passing numbers Ben would have if he had a receiving core with some stability.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Moncreif in 2 is still my guy

Backup

User Info Menu

I think Ben is putting in the time because he already knows that Sanders is gone and is working with the guys he will have this year

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    And as I have said, the odds are on your side. But, that heart for the game is what I love about this guy. Combine that with a huge frame...and I think he has a chance to be a #2 in this league.
    Moye apparently has very small hands for a WR. That is a ding that has caused him problems.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    It's a good thing that Ben Roethlisberger is the quarterback of the Steelers. A below average to average quarterback would struggle to find open receivers with the way the Steelers allow WR talent to rotate in and out of Pittsburgh. Ben will be gone someday and this mindset will not be a good, unless, they find a comparable replacement for Ben.

Steeler fans are going to miss Ben someday.

Pappy
    I was thinking about this as it relates to our 1st rounder this year. As much as I think a WR like mike evans could help, is it wise to pick him if we are going to let him walk after his rookie contract is up. Steelers just don't seem to value the position, so I'm not sure they will even consider going WR in the 1st, as you want your 1st rounders to stick around for awhile.

I may be totally off base with this line of thinking.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I was thinking about this as it relates to our 1st rounder this year. As much as I think a WR like mike evans could help, is it wise to pick him if we are going to let him walk after his rookie contract is up. Steelers just don't seem to value the position, so I'm not sure they will even consider going WR in the 1st, as you want your 1st rounders to stick around for awhile.

I think there uis a little truth to what you say but not sure it is just the WR position. The issue seems to be more the level of production and whether the players agrees to the Steelers price.

If an Evans or another WR we draft in Round 1 has a solid 4 years I think they really try to resign that player. However, the Steelers go into contract negotiations with a well thought out value against every player and they will not get into bidding wars for player. I think they value a productive player who values being a Steeler.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

I agree 100%, the Steelers have proven over the past decade that WRs just aren't on their radar to re-sign if they have excellent rookie contracts. The Steelers it seems, believe that WRs are a dime a dozen, plus they have a top 5 quarterback to make average receivers look better than they are. It seems this year will be no different, Sanders will probably walk and the Steelers will roll with Brown, Cotchery (hopefully), Wheaton and Moye or a draft pick (but not at 1.15), IMO.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount