Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Works With Moye And Wheaton In SoCal

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Works With Moye And Wheaton In SoCal

Pittsburgh Steelers Ben Roethlisberger Works With Moye And Wheaton In SoCal

BY CRAIG GOTTSCHALK - FEB 5TH, 2014

Aside from Antonio Brown and Jerricho Cotchery, the Pittsburgh Steelers have some other pass catching offensive weapons. Based on how last season went, one would never really know that there’s a ton of potential standing on the Steelers sideline each week. Wide receivers Derek Moye and Markus Wheaton are a pair of young receivers who are on the ‘up and coming’ list in offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s offense.

Our own Dom DiTolla will tell you until he’s blue in the face that these two were underutilized in 2013. Well it looks like Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is getting a jump start on the 2014 season, and potentially getting these guys incorporated more in the offense on a regular basis.

Sam Nestler sent this tweet out on Wednesday showing Big Ben working drills with Wheaton, Moye, and some other athletes. While some might see this and think, ‘So what?’ I feel good about seeing the leader of the offense taking initiative in working out with some of his younger receivers. It’s important for a quarterback to develop as much of a relationship as he can with his offense and receiving core. Timing, reads, and nuances are all very important – especially when currently the Steelers lack an offensive line that is dominant in pass protection.

I hope that Ben and these guys (as well as the other receivers) have more workouts together. It can only improve how they perform on the field. If the Steelers want to have more firepower on offense, they will need to get Moye and Wheaton involved much more. The former Nittany Lion and OSU Beaver combined for 8 catches and 84 yards in 2013. Moye had a lone touchdown. There’s no guarantee that the Steelers will pick a wide out in the first or second (or any) rounds in this year’s draft. If they don’t then they will need Moye and Wheaton firing on all cylinders and on the same page with Roethlisberger.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2014/02/05/pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-works-with-moye-and-wheaton-in-socal/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm Moye is going to be better than some give him credit for...I'm still undecided on Wheaton.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is great news and definitely isn't a "so what" moment.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think Wheaton was hampered in his rookie year by not being able to participate in OTAs and further by the hand injury...

I think he flashed very briefly, but was not able to consistently prove himself...the #4 WR in this office doesn't typically put up big numbers...hopefully, he can show something if he moves up the depth chart...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    I think Wheaton was hampered in his rookie year by not being able to participate in OTAs and further by the hand injury...

I think he flashed very briefly, but was not able to consistently prove himself...the #4 WR in this office doesn't typically put up big numbers...hopefully, he can show something if he moves up the depth chart...
    If they let Sanders walk (as I think they will), then Wheaton will have a golden opportunity to move up.

Legend

User Info Menu

This can only be good news. It shows Ben taking even more of a leadership role, and it's good to see Wheaton and Moye working with Ben. I'm not sure that Moye even makes the team, or that Wheaton will be more than a #3, but it certainly can't hurt for them to work with Ben and hopefully develop some chemistry.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'm Moye is going to be better than some give him credit for...I'm still undecided on Wheaton.
    Huge fan of Moye's at Penn State, but as I said on another post I think Moye is another Isaac Redman. Some fans will have a "man love" crush on him that won't go away but the reality is that he is marginal NFL talent.

The reality is that since Wheaton and Moye are both total unknowns with respect to their ability to help in the future it just adds more credence to the position that we should be looking for a WR or pass catching TE early in the draft. Like I said, Eric Ebron at #15.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Huge fan of Moye's at Penn State, but as I said on another post I think Moye is another Isaac Redman. Some fans will have a "man love" crush on him that won't go away but the reality is that he is marginal NFL talent.

The reality is that since Wheaton and Moye are both total unknowns with respect to their ability to help in the future it just adds more credence to the position that we should be looking for a WR or pass catching TE early in the draft. Like I said, Eric Ebron at #15.
    And as I have said, the odds are on your side. But, that heart for the game is what I love about this guy. Combine that with a huge frame...and I think he has a chance to be a #2 in this league.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Wheaton's gonna be a future star based solely on what I saw out of him in training camp.

Any word on Justin Brown? I still think he has some potential too.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's a good thing that Ben Roethlisberger is the quarterback of the Steelers. A below average to average quarterback would struggle to find open receivers with the way the Steelers allow WR talent to rotate in and out of Pittsburgh. Ben will be gone someday and this mindset will not be a good, unless, they find a comparable replacement for Ben.

Steeler fans are going to miss Ben someday.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount