Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Works With Moye And Wheaton In SoCal

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    He did...and you are right. Every WR drops passes.
    Unfortunately every WR doesn't get the same amount of opportunities to redeem themselves

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Unfortunately every WR doesn't get the same amount of opportunities to redeem themselves
    That's right and it's why Moye will be on a short leash. He will get his shots.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    This is great news and definitely isn't a "so what" moment.
    Actually, I think that's exactly what it is. Every time I hear "So in so is working out with whatchama-Bob" it ends up being a "so what moment." If Haley forces his play calling back on Ben, none of this "working out with" will amount to a hill of beans. Haley re-inserted into calling the plays will be an insurmountable obstacle to overcome.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Actually, I think that's exactly what it is. Every time I hear "So in so is working out with whatchama-Bob" it ends up being a "so what moment." If Haley forces his play calling back on Ben, none of this "working out with" will amount to a hill of beans. Haley re-inserted into calling the plays will be an insurmountable obstacle to overcome.
    I don't know why I an even saying this to you. But you don't think Haley has a group of plays installed for Ben to call during the no huddle? Wonder what they practice all week? Come on dude. It is not just on Ben if the no huddle works or does not. But you can keep telling yourself that if it make you feel better.

Backup

User Info Menu

I actually think the whole or a majority of the playbook is open to Ben in the no huddle. If it wasn't, it wouldn't take long for opposing DCs to figure out what the plays being used during the no huddle were. That said, I think they have discussed plays to use during certain situations, plays Ben is comfortable with and plays Haley is comfortable with. Also, I would think that even though they are in no huddle, there are times when Haley is in Ben's ear.
    All that said, for Moye and especially Wheaton, the opportunity to build some one on one chemistry with Ben has to be a godsend. And even if it doesn't help the team, it sure as hell can't hurt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    [

That statement just made a solid case why WR needs to be addressed. "Without knowing how Wheaton and Moye will play out" & Cotchery who excels as a #3 but wouldn't be as productive as a #2....You need to address it. Going into '14 with THE HOPES that Wheaton could be a very productive #2 that will keep the SS out of the box is not a projection I think they will be comfortable with. One of the reasons the run game struggled in '13 is almost every team the Steelers played where comfortable with the match-ups with Single Safety high. The Steelers faced 8 man fronts for blocking schemes which is not a win. Miller, Bell, & Cotch won't have any impact on defensive personnel packages or Cover calls. Going into '14 With Brown, Wheaton, Cotchery, (And any current WR on the roster) in addition to Miller & Spaeth (And any current TE on the roster)...Will NOT be viewed as a step forward but a step back. There is ZERO evidence in game to suggest otherwise. Now...It could turn out as favorable...I'M just glad I'm not the one going "All in" on that after back to back 8-8 seasons with a franchise QB coming down the stretch.
    Ehh, not sure I'm buying that logic. The Steelers know if Wheaton is #2 material. If they believe he is...they will grab a late round WR project...guy for STs. If not, they will draft a WR in the first 3 rounds...but not sure they want to tie up a first round pick as a #2...and have that much future money at wide out. That isn't the Steeler way.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Ehh, not sure I'm buying that logic. The Steelers know if Wheaton is #2 material. If they believe he is...they will grab a late round WR project...guy for STs. If not, they will draft a WR in the first 3 rounds...but not sure they want to tie up a first round pick as a #2...and have that much future money at wide out. That isn't the Steeler way.

The Steelers know if Wheaton is or isn't a #2. Since he DIDN'T show he "was" on the field...The logic is sound. Wheaton is a "Rookie" who knows the playbook in '14. Wheaton played in 12 games. He ran wrong routes & couldn't create separation against other teams #3rd & #4th CBs. Wallace, Brown, & Sanders all played with more talented WR depth their rookie years. They all averaged 13 games played & 28 catches. Wheaton logged 12 & caught 6 balls. Wheaton didn't do anything in game during '13 to tell the Steelers he can hold down the #2 spot. He could be that guy...But he has to do it in game. From what he showed me..He may be a #3 & will excel in the slot. He can't get off the LOS against #1 & #2 CB & until he can show me he could...He is the Project.

The Steelers have a long term 2nd contract in one WR & a 1st selection gives them a lower cap number with an option year (5 year deal). Rookie scale & New CBA. I have no idea what you are talking about "future money" at WR. JJ's biggest cap hit is his last year at 2.7 mil. There won't be any large $$$ at WR with a 1st round pick added. It is exactly the Steeler way.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

The Steelers know if Wheaton is or isn't a #2. Since he DIDN'T show he "was" on the field...The logic is sound. Wheaton is a "Rookie" who knows the playbook in '14. Wheaton played in 12 games. He ran wrong routes & couldn't create separation against other teams #3rd & #4th CBs. Wallace, Brown, & Sanders all played with more talented WR depth their rookie years. They all averaged 13 games played & 28 catches. Wheaton logged 12 & caught 6 balls. Wheaton didn't do anything in game during '13 to tell the Steelers he can hold down the #2 spot. He could be that guy...But he has to do it in game. From what he showed me..He may be a #3 & will excel in the slot. He can't get off the LOS against #1 & #2 CB & until he can show me he could...He is the Project.

The Steelers have a long term 2nd contract in one WR & a 1st selection gives them a lower cap number with an option year (5 year deal). Rookie scale & New CBA. I have no idea what you are talking about "future money" at WR. JJ's biggest cap hit is his last year at 2.7 mil. There won't be any large $$$ at WR with a 1st round pick added. It is exactly the Steeler way.
    First, lets be intellectually honest or your post holds no weight. Wheaton was hurt last season. A rookie WR with a hand injury doesn't bode well for "showing it on the field". It doesn't bode well for him usurping a guy like Cotch or Sanders for PT.

Second, what I mean about future money is that the Steelers don't like wrapping up tons of money in the WR position...a position where a #2 might see 5 touches a game. So, Brown is locked into big money. What if a guy like Evans proves he can be a #1, which is what you expect from a #1 draft pick. Now you have two guys commanding 50 and 60 million dollar contracts...at the WR position. They let Wallace go and that supports my reasoning. If they wanted two expensive WRs, Wallace did really well with Ben. Brown and Wallace were a terrific 1/2 punch. Why break them up, only to spend a top draft pick to get another WR? Makes no sense. Since you believe it's the Steeler way to do so, I would love to know at any point in modern Steeler history where they locked up that much money in the WR position. I can't think of a time. If they wished to lock up 100 million dollars into the WR position they would have signed both Wallace and Brown.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Shawn, I agree with JPN on this one. Wheaton did nothing to show that he can be a #2. Yes, he was injured for part of the season, but he didn't show anything that allows anybody to believe, with confidence, that he can be a #2. Not saying that he can't be, but it would be foolish to count on him.

As for the money issue, Brown will be 31 when the rookie completes his 5th year. What are the odds that a smaller WR who relies on quickness will command a huge third contract at 31? Pairing Brown with a high pick gives the Steelers a run of a few years with strong complimentary WRs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Shawn, I agree with JPN on this one. Wheaton did nothing to show that he can be a #2. Yes, he was injured for part of the season, but he didn't show anything that allows anybody to believe, with confidence, that he can be a #2. Not saying that he can't be, but it would be foolish to count on him.

As for the money issue, Brown will be 31 when the rookie completes his 5th year. What are the odds that a smaller WR who relies on quickness will command a huge third contract at 31? Pairing Brown with a high pick gives the Steelers a run of a few years with strong complimentary WRs.
    He didn't show you or I, and certainly not JPN. But, if I'm a coach working with a guy day in and day out, I know if he has the ability to be a #2. It's all a crap shoot until they are in that position day in and day out. Would a rookie, even a big first rounder (without the name Watkins) bring about more certainty? Are we expecting Evans to step in day one and win the job? Big guys are notoriously slow learners at the position. Evans isn't Green, or Megatron. Those guys are freaks. Evans ceiling is Vincent Jackson.

As for the contract, that is a really good point. But, lets look at it this way. The rookie will be at the end of a 4 yr rookie contract when Brown is 29. I haven't looked at Browns contract but many are backloaded. So, Browns contract will be on the heavy end just as the #1 pick wants his payday. Not sure it's quite as clean as you think.
    Trolls are people too.