Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Ben Works With Moye And Wheaton In SoCal

Let's not forget Steelers WR Justin Brown

By Neal Coolong on Apr 21 2014

The "Other" Brown among the receivers group, Brown spent his rookie season on the team's practice squad. An offseason of workouts with Ben Roethlisberger should prepare him well for a battle for the team's fifth WR spot.

The Steelers' 2013 draft netted them four players who filled significant roles last season. They aren't the only ones to focus on, however. Several players from the past few drafts have been developing over the last few seasons, and this is look at those players.

Steelers WR Justin Brown
    Drafted sixth round, 2013

The Steelers selected the tall slot receiver out of Penn State and Oklahoma with the first of two sixth-round picks. They selected linebacker Vince Williams with the other.

Williams made the team, and due to an injury to ex-Steelers LB Larry Foote, started the bulk of the season. The difference in ability between Williams and Brown might not be considered all that much; Williams has had the opportunity while Brown, who was coming into a deeper position unit, hasn't.

Working out with Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger this offseason, he may be putting the knowledge right along with the height (6-foot-3) in an effort to make this year's team.

It'll be an uphill battle for Brown, but the team's fourth and fifth wide receiver positions should be considered among the fiercest training camp battles in this year's training camp. Antonio Brown and Markus Wheaton are likely the team's base offensive starters, and Lance Moore will likely handle slot duties as called upon by 11 personnel packages. The Steelers signed veteran Darrius Heyward-Bey to compete for those positions as well, and it's likely the team will add a wide receiver in the draft, possibly as early as the 15th overall pick.

Incumbent and fellow tall receiver Derrick Moye is also in the running. Moye has a leg up on Brown - he made the team last season, although he didn't get a considerable amount of playing time.

Both of those Steelers veterans will do battle for a roster spot again this year and it's possible only one - or neither - of them make the team. Brown's senior season at Oklahoma showed he has a solid set of skills, and if the year he's had to hone his skills with NFL coaching helped him improve, one would think he'd be a strong candidate to get a jersey in September.

The Steelers need depth at the position, and while Brown is still practice squad-eligible, the time he's spent this offseason should prove beneficial.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...s-justin-brown

My question is why are many of the pundits handing Wheaton the #2 WR position already? He rarely played last season and there isn't really any proof that he's ready to be a #2. A WR at 1.15 could become the #2 in front of Wheaton.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    My question is why are many of the pundits handing Wheaton the #2 WR position already? He rarely played last season and there isn't really any proof that he's ready to be a #2. A WR at 1.15 could become the #2 in front of Wheaton.

Pappy
    And if they don't pick a WR @ #15?

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    And if they don't pick a WR @ #15?
    2.46, the pool is deep with talent at WR

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

As deep as WR is in this draft I would rather see them go D in 1 and 2...WR in 3. The Steeler desperately need help at DB and IMO along the DL. That's one and two right there. I think a very good WR could be had in the third.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    As deep as WR is in this draft I would rather see them go D in 1 and 2...WR in 3. The Steeler desperately need help at DB and IMO along the DL. That's one and two right there. I think a very good WR could be had in the third.
    If that were to happen, I would prefer Abbrederis in the 3rd.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

2.46, the pool is deep with talent at WR

Pappy
    True, but a 2nd round WR may not be an immediate starter/#2...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    This is a deep draft all around. It really depends on how the board falls. I'd be ok with another athletic, project corner (like the kid out of Lindenwold) in the 3rd/4th, or with some of the 3-4 DEs who look to be available in that range.

Pappy
    i'm on the other side of the fence. they scouted, and he was a 2nd rounder who started late due to school, then was injured. the kid practiced, coaches saw him. they know what he's capable of. why do so many fans not trust the coaches analysis on what they saw in practice?

if they DON'T draft a WR in the first, it means he looked pretty good to them... and i trust that. Do I expect one in the first 3 rounds? yup. why? because regardless of whether Wheaton pans out, Lance Moore has a 2 year deal... and there's not much behind him. the team needs another guy in the rotation...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

No more PSU wide receivers please, i.e. Allen Robinson. We have met our quota of tall, mediocre Nittany Lion WR's for now.