Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Works With Moye And Wheaton In SoCal

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    This is why they brought in one of the best oline coaches in the league.

Munchak runs a complicated/intricate blocking scheme. It mixes zone and gap fundamentals into what I think is a very unique blocking scheme. It will be very interesting to see how quickly it can be put in place. With a 1 cut runner and athletic olinemen we could be very exciting in the running game next year. At the very least Gilbert, Adams, and Beachem are highly athletic linemen

Look at what he did with Roos and Stewart... he molded pro bowl caliber tackles out of unpolished stones

The last 8 games last season ben was hit the least in his career, sacked the least in his career, and the running game showed life. Haleys timing offense with munchak makes oline low on the list of needs going into this season imo, unless robinson or matthews falls

Uh oh, don't let Oviedo read that. Complicated=Bad, Simple=Good

(unless the rules are different on the offensive side)

Legend

User Info Menu

The idea of improving an Offense because of a faulty Defense seems very misguided. I think it has been proven time and again that while you can win a lot of games with an offense in the regular season, a team won't win a SB with a bad defense.

Fix the D. The offense is good enough to win games.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He can reaad it or not read it....still remains the same lol

It really is a fascinating scheme. If you look up some highlights of Tennessee running outside zone, they zone/stretch on the attack side, but gap the cut back side. I think they are the only team that runs it that way.

And they pull the guard as much as any team in football, even when they aren't trapping, they pull the guard, essentially making him the up back/fullback. Something decastro will be absolutely brilliant at doing imo

EDIT: You can fix the defense and improve the offense all in one offseason, it really doesnt have to be one or the other

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The idea of improving an Offense because of a faulty Defense seems very misguided. I think it has been proven time and again that while you can win a lot of games with an offense in the regular season, a team won't win a SB with a bad defense.

Fix the D. The offense is good enough to win games.

I'm just commenting on your "a team won't win a SB with a bad defense" because that isn't the case...Recent history has shown it. Seattle was 1st in total yards & 1st in Points allowed in 2013. In 2008, the Steelers were 1st in total yards & 1st in Points allowed (see below). I don't think the formula is ever an exact science. I think the only thing you could say with certainty is you won't win the SB without a franchise QB or an adequate offense. If you take the last 20 SBs...You have 17 "franchise" QBS winning them. If you want to classify Wilson as a franchise guy...You have 18 out of 20. Interesting enough...If you look at the 2 or 3 teams that won without a franchise QB...Their defenses were first in the league.

2013-Seahawks 1st yards & 1st in points allowed
    2012-Ravens 17th yards & 12th in points allowed
    2011-Giants 27th yards & 25th in points allowed
    2010-Packers 5th yards & 2nd in points allowed
    2009-Saints 25th yards & 20th in points allowed
    2008-Steelers 1st yards & 1st in points allowed

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

I'm just commenting on your "a team won't win a SB with a bad defense" because that isn't the case...Recent history has shown it. Seattle was 1st in total yards & 1st in Points allowed in 2013. In 2008, the Steelers were 1st in total yards & 1st in Points allowed (see below). I don't think the formula is ever an exact science. I think the only thing you could say with certainty is you won't win the SB without a franchise QB or an adequate offense. If you take the last 20 SBs...You have 17 "franchise" QBS winning them. If you want to classify Wilson as a franchise guy...You have 18 out of 20. Interesting enough...If you look at the 2 or 3 teams that won without a franchise QB...Their defenses were first in the league.

2013-Seahawks 1st yards & 1st in points allowed
    2012-Ravens 17th yards & 12th in points allowed
    2011-Giants 27th yards & 25th in points allowed
    2010-Packers 5th yards & 2nd in points allowed
    2009-Saints 25th yards & 20th in points allowed
    2008-Steelers 1st yards & 1st in points allowed
    The Giants D stats are tricky... I'm pretty sure they had injuries most of the season on the DL and they got healthy right before the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Uh oh, don't let Oviedo read that. Complicated=Bad, Simple=Good

(unless the rules are different on the offensive side)
    Yes complicated and not working, stale and lacking innovation=bad
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'm Moye is going to be better than some give him credit for...I'm still undecided on Wheaton.
    Moye dropped a TD that hit him right in the hands. A few more of those, and he will be done for.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yes complicated and not working, stale and lacking innovation=bad
    simple and innovative seems like an oxymoron. simple to me means mano-a-mano, not sure where the innovation is in that. Speaks more about having the talent to be simple, which i think the Steelers lack at the moment.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

These guys are professionals..This isn't high school or college. If they can't learn complex schemes it is a knock on them...Not the coach. Coaches simplify things for young players or new starters. They also simplify things in gameplans against more formidable opponents. All that comes full circle because eventually they have to "Get it." Bottom line is this is the NFL. Simplistic design gets you unemployed or coaching for the Browns.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    Moye dropped a TD that hit him right in the hands. A few more of those, and he will be done for.
    He did...and you are right. Every WR drops passes.
    Trolls are people too.