Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clark: NFL players going to use pot

Legend

User Info Menu

Clark: NFL players going to use pot

Ryan Clark says NFL players, including some of his Pittsburgh Steelers teammates, turn to smoking marijuana for a variety of reasons, especially as a means to relieve pain and manage stress.

Clark, a 12-year veteran, discussed the topic of marijuana usage and the league's testing system Thursday morning on ESPN's "First Take."

"I know guys on my team who smoke," Clark said. "And it's not a situation where you think 'Oh, these are guys trying to be cool.' These are guys who want to do it recreationally. A lot of it is stress relief. A lot of it is pain and medication. Guys feel like, 'If I can do this, it keeps me away from maybe Vicodin, it keeps me away from pain prescription drugs and things that guys get addicted to.' Guys look at this as a more natural way to heal themselves, to stress relieve and also to medicate themselves for pain. Guys are still going to do it."

Clark also greed with recent comments by New York Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie, who suggested the league is waging a lost cause in banning the substance, while also saying the league's current testing system isn't all that effective.

"It's 100 percent true. They're fighting a losing battle. The testing isn't stringent," Clark said. "There is one random test during OTAs and minicamps during the offseason, and everybody will be tested early in training camp. After that, there are no more tests. So guys understand the ways to get around failing a drug test."

Marijuana became a hot-button issue at the Super Bowl, as both teams -- the Seattle Seahawks and Denver Broncos -- hail from states that legalized marijuana. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll created headlines by saying he agreed with the notion the league should investigate medicinal marijuana to see if it can help players. Medicinal marijuana is legal in 20 states, plus the District of Columbia.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, addressing the issue Friday at his annual Super Bowl news conference, downplayed the possibility of the league lifting marijuana from its list of banned substances.

"It is still an illegal substance on a national basis," Goodell said. "It's something that is part of the collective bargaining agreement with the players. It is questionable as to the positive impacts, in the face of the very strong evidence of the negative effects, including addictions and other issues.

"We'll continue to follow the medicine. Our experts right now are not indicating that we should change our policy in any way. We are not actively considering that at this point in time. But if it goes down the road sometime, that's something that we would never take off the table."

[url]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10413409/ryan-clark-pittsburgh-steelers-discusses-marijuana-use[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't really have a problem with the substance of what Clark said, but I'd prefer that he not put a big target on the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hes preparing for his TV career

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I don't really have a problem with the substance of what Clark said, but I'd prefer that he not put a big target on the Steelers.
    It's no bigger than any other target on the other 31 teams. The NFL knows... IMO it's good to get it out there and have an honest discussion instead of lying to ourselves about what these guys do to relieve their pain.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

C-ya Ryan, that all but assured that you won't be back next year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    It's no bigger than any other target on the other 31 teams. The NFL knows... IMO it's good to get it out there and have an honest discussion instead of lying to ourselves about what these guys do to relieve their pain.
    But of the other 31 teams, only a few have guys making public statements. You are simply drawing unnecessary attention from the Commish.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    But of the other 31 teams, only a few have guys making public statements. You are simply drawing unnecessary attention from the Commish.
    I think we will hear more public statements due to the national debate over the drug.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we should legalize prostitution and then there would be less illegal sex trafficking during the Super Bowl.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    C-ya Ryan, that all but assured that you won't be back next year.
    I really don't think he had a chance before he said that, which is why he didn't worry about saying it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Stabbing and killing people is illegal, but some NFL players do it.