Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Clark: NFL players going to use pot

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    Look.... any person who is being honest and open about the issue agrees that marijuana is not as harmful as alcohol and cigarettes
    Are you sure about that?

Marijuana has more carcinogens than tobacco cigarettes, and a lot of tar. Advocates keep talking about how pot hasn't been proven to be as bad as tobacco...but they haven't done nearly as much research into long-term effects of weed on users as they have with tobacco cigs.

Some results of marijuana research are now coming in, and they're showing that it's not necessarily the benign drug that its advocates have claimed. It can reduce brain function and lower IQ. Especially for young users, it can apparently cause some significant damage.

"New research shows teenagers who smoke marijuana are not only affecting themselves, but possibly children they may have years down the road. Dr. Yasmin Hurd, with Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, is an expert on the effects of marijuana on the brain conducts studies that mimic human response on mice. She gave adolescent rats the equivalent of eight joints in a month. It was enough to make permanent changes in their brains that were passed on to their offspring. When those offspring grew up, many showed compulsive behavior and a strong appetite for heroin. 'It’s not that marijuana changes your DNA sequence, but we know that it changes, potentially, how your DNA is marked that changes how the genes are expressed in the brain. But, we definitely see clear brain differences in these adults’ offspring,' says Dr. Hurd."
    Read more: [URL]http://fox43.com/2014/01/26/smoking-marijuana-could-affect-your-offspring-in-the-future/#ixzz2slGR0h3v[/URL]

Here's an article on new Northwestern research that shows that teens who are heavy pot users have abnormal changes in their brain structures related to working memory (working memory impacts ability to learn and perform). The problems were observed a couple of years after they stopped smoking the drug, while in their early 20's. The research also showed a link between chronic use of marijuana and the development of schizophrenia. Read more:
    A poor working memory predicts poor academic performance and everyday functioning.
    The brain abnormalities and memory problems were observed during the individuals’ early twenties, two years after they stopped smoking marijuana, which could indicate the long-term effects of chronic use. Memory-related structures in their brains appeared to shrink and collapse inward, possibly reflecting a decrease in neurons.
    The study also shows the marijuana-related brain abnormalities are correlated with a poor working memory performance and look similar to schizophrenia-related brain abnormalities. Over the past decade, Northwestern scientists, along with scientists at other institutions, have shown that changes in brain structure may lead to changes in the way the brain functions.
    - See more at: [URL]http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2013/12/marijuana-users-have-abnormal-brain-structure--poor-memory.html#sthash.PrPReNEl.dpuf[/URL]

"An extensive four-decade [URL="http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/08/22/1206820109"]study published in 2012 by the National Academy of Sciences[/URL] showed marijuana can lower the IQ of young teenagers and may cause permanent mental impairment. The research, which followed subjects from 1972 to the present, found that persistent users of marijuana demonstrated 'neuropsychological decline from childhood to midlife.'"
    Read more at [URL]http://www.wnd.com/2014/01/dude-science-contradicts-obamas-pot-claims/#32PZ84T7toy5oVSZ.99[/URL]

See also:
    [URL]http://www.ijreview.com/2014/01/109964-white-house-drug-czar-completely-contradicts-obamas-marijuana-claims/[/URL]

The legalization aspect is a whole 'nother argument, and I respect your opinion on that. But to say that marijuana is clearly less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco? I'd say the jury is still out on that, especially in regard to young users.

Legend

User Info Menu

One need only visit the delightful city of Amsterdam to see the effects of broad legalization.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Are you sure about that?

Marijuana has more carcinogens than tobacco cigarettes, and a lot of tar. Advocates keep talking about how pot hasn't been proven to be as bad as tobacco...but they haven't done nearly as much research into long-term effects of weed on users as they have with tobacco cigs.

Some results of marijuana research are now coming in, and they're showing that it's not necessarily the benign drug that its advocates have claimed. It can reduce brain function and lower IQ. Especially for young users, it can apparently cause some significant damage.

"New research shows teenagers who smoke marijuana are not only affecting themselves, but possibly children they may have years down the road. Dr. Yasmin Hurd, with Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, is an expert on the effects of marijuana on the brain conducts studies that mimic human response on mice. She gave adolescent rats the equivalent of eight joints in a month. It was enough to make permanent changes in their brains that were passed on to their offspring. When those offspring grew up, many showed compulsive behavior and a strong appetite for heroin. 'It’s not that marijuana changes your DNA sequence, but we know that it changes, potentially, how your DNA is marked that changes how the genes are expressed in the brain. But, we definitely see clear brain differences in these adults’ offspring,' says Dr. Hurd."
    Read more: [URL]http://fox43.com/2014/01/26/smoking-marijuana-could-affect-your-offspring-in-the-future/#ixzz2slGR0h3v[/URL]

Here's an article on new Northwestern research that shows that teens who are heavy pot users have abnormal changes in their brain structures related to working memory (working memory impacts ability to learn and perform). The problems were observed a couple of years after they stopped smoking the drug, while in their early 20's. The research also showed a link between chronic use of marijuana and the development of schizophrenia. Read more:
    A poor working memory predicts poor academic performance and everyday functioning.
    The brain abnormalities and memory problems were observed during the individuals’ early twenties, two years after they stopped smoking marijuana, which could indicate the long-term effects of chronic use. Memory-related structures in their brains appeared to shrink and collapse inward, possibly reflecting a decrease in neurons.
    The study also shows the marijuana-related brain abnormalities are correlated with a poor working memory performance and look similar to schizophrenia-related brain abnormalities. Over the past decade, Northwestern scientists, along with scientists at other institutions, have shown that changes in brain structure may lead to changes in the way the brain functions.
    - See more at: [URL]http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2013/12/marijuana-users-have-abnormal-brain-structure--poor-memory.html#sthash.PrPReNEl.dpuf[/URL]

"An extensive four-decade [URL="http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/08/22/1206820109"]study published in 2012 by the National Academy of Sciences[/URL] showed marijuana can lower the IQ of young teenagers and may cause permanent mental impairment. The research, which followed subjects from 1972 to the present, found that persistent users of marijuana demonstrated 'neuropsychological decline from childhood to midlife.'"
    Read more at [URL]http://www.wnd.com/2014/01/dude-science-contradicts-obamas-pot-claims/#32PZ84T7toy5oVSZ.99[/URL]

See also:
    [URL]http://www.ijreview.com/2014/01/109964-white-house-drug-czar-completely-contradicts-obamas-marijuana-claims/[/URL]

The legalization aspect is a whole 'nother argument, and I respect your opinion on that. But to say that marijuana is clearly less dangerous than alcohol and tobacco? I'd say the jury is still out on that, especially in regard to young users.

How many people have died from marijuana usage?? Now... how many people die EVERY YEAR from alcohol and tobacco usage?? I think this is my point...... Not even including the fact that many terminally ill people could benefit from marijuana over a lot of these pills...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989 View Post
    How many people have died from marijuana usage?? Now... how many people die EVERY YEAR from alcohol and tobacco usage??
    Well, first of all, there are more people using a lot more alcohol and tobacco in this country, so the sheer numbers probably don't tell the whole story.

Secondly, how good of statistics do they have on who dies as the result of weed? If a pot user develops lung cancer from smoking pot, and it's illegal, is he going to admit to using marijuana? If a pot user gets stoned and dies in a car wreck, do they always determine that weed is the cause?

How many people will be led into more dangerous and deadly drugs because of using weed?

How many people develop schizophrenia from alcohol and tobacco use as compared with marijuana use? And what will be the result of legalization and long-term, widespread use? What will it cost society to have a generation of young people damaging their brains and lowering their IQ?

It may well turn out that marijuana will have a far higher cost to society than you think.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 02-09-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Starter

User Info Menu

How many people will be led into more dangerous and deadly drugs because of using weed?
    The only reason weed could lead to more deadly drugs,is because of the lies and mis-imformation that has been told about it over the years. When most people first try it,they realize,I didn't jump out any windows, I didn't go insane,I didn't start stealing to support any "habit". Then they think,if they lied about weed,maybe they are lying about these other drugs too. Next thing you know, little Johnny is addicted to heroin.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    One need only visit the delightful city of Amsterdam to see the effects of broad legalization.
    Pretty much one of the dirtiest cities on the face of the earth.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well, first of all, there are more people using a lot more alcohol and tobacco in this country, so the sheer numbers probably don't tell the whole story.

Secondly, how good of statistics do they have on who dies as the result of weed? If a pot user develops lung cancer from smoking pot, and it's illegal, is he going to admit to using marijuana? If a pot user gets stoned and dies in a car wreck, do they always determine that weed is the cause?

How many people develop schizophrenia from alcohol and tobacco use as compared with marijuana use? And what will be the result of legalization and long-term, widespread use? What will it cost society to have a generation of young people damaging their brains and lowering their IQ?

It may well turn out that marijuana will have a far higher cost to society than you think.
    Look, weed isn't for everyone, just like alcohol and cigarettes aren't for everyone. Your claim that not enough people smoking skews the numbers? to me that disrespects the very numbers you use as an example. Millions of people smoke pot world wide, when have u ever herd of one dying of an overdose? Dying of lung or liver cancer or obtaining mouth cancer(like drinking and smoking/chewing tobacco will do). You claim people become schizo? well well, if this is true give my that over cancer... or suicidal tendency's from the prescription drugs that are so readily available... weed is NO MORE harmful than alcohol is, period. Unfortunately many people have been brainwashed to believe weed is on the same level as ACTUAL drugs like heroin, meth, ecstasy, perks, vics etc...
    btw.. you also side stepped my other point from my last post of terminally ill people who can benefit from the use of marijuana.... truly , all in all.... we don't need government to tell us what we can and cannot do with our body's, as long as we aren't injuring others... (I haven't smoked weed in over a year btw)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AzStillers1989
    Millions of people smoke pot world wide, when have u ever herd of one dying of an overdose?
    Funny you ask that question--I just read about that happening: [url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2548669/Devout-Christian-mother-three-31-woman-Britain-DIE-cannabis-poisoning-smoking-joint-bed.html#ixzz2rzCfUVOh[/url]

Now, I know that's an unusual episode. I think I read about someone dying after drinking a can of Coke as well.

To respond to your point--there may not be many people dying from marijuana overdose...but can it hurt and kill people in other ways? See [url]http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2014/02/04/study-fatal-car-crashes-involving-marijuana-have-tripled/;[/url] [url]http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/story/health/story/2012-02-09/Marijuana-users-twice-as-likely-to-cause-car-crash/53031202/1;[/url] [url]http://www.calmca.org/crime/[/url]

You claim people become schizo?
    Not my claim, but the indication from recent research done by Northwestern University and others. I have observed that a couple of guys I grew up with became schizophrenic after heavy pot use as teens/young adults. Can I prove the connection? No. But after reading the research, I sure have to wonder.

Weed is NO MORE harmful than alcohol is, period.
    That might be true for some people. But for teens and young adults, the research seems to be showing something different when it comes to brain/memory impairment, among other things.

But hey...whatever our President says...got to drink that kool-aid, right?

btw.. you also side stepped my other point from my last post of terminally ill people who can benefit from the use of marijuana....
    ??? Terminally ill people can benefit from the use of morphine as well. Does that mean morphine ought to be completely unregulated?

we don't need government to tell us what we can and cannot do with our body's, as long as we aren't injuring others...
    Like I said, I respect your opinion on legalization. And I'm in basic agreement with your above expressed sentiment. But...what if marijuana use DOES injure others, as in some of the above-cited examples? What if society has to pick up the tab for many of the effects and consequences of using pot? Then shouldn't government have a right to regulate that use?

Legend

User Info Menu

There is indeed a link to marijuana use and schizophrenia in the literature. But, I don't believe marijuana causes schizophrenia, but can trigger it in those who would become schizophrenic. As for legalization, I have mixed feelings on the issue. Having joints at every 7-11 isn't really an atmosphere I want my kids growing up in. Legalization might increase use...and I find that problematic. With that said, prohibition doesn't work. On a harm scale I would consider marijuana less harmful than alcohol (which btw is an extremely dirty drug physiologically). Legislation has been inconsistent and not based on good science. Personally, I would rather see it legalized, highly regulated (no advertisement, only specialized stores), taxed and that tax money be used to educate the public on addiction, and for addiction treatment services. Criminalizing marijuana use has been a gigantic waste of tax payer money.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

The real issue is people want to hide behind a drug to excuse their own chemical dependency.

It's no different than the gun debate IMO. People want to blame the guns and while there are tons of guns in America it's still the person that is responsible for these acts. They will find a gun.. if not a gun it will be a knife, a bomb, fire, etc...

Do you think the people who graduate from weed were innocent bystanders who were attacked by the drug? No, they wanted to get high.. and if it wasn't weed it would be something else and then they would move on to harder drugs. You can't save people from themselves and IMO this whole "gateway drug" is a cop out from taking personal responsibility for family members who have drug habits. It wasn't the weed folks.. it's the person.