Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on trading down

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    The steelers wanted Revis or Carriker that year, timmons was probably their #3 and when the jets moved up they were ok with just taking him
    True, remember them wanting Revis, not as much Carriker. But that kind of proves the point. If they weren't as sold on Timmons then they could have dropped and waited to see who they would have ended up with. Instead they stayed put and drafted a player who many were not sold on, but apparently they were.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

At this early date i would not have a problem moving to 18 or 20 and getting an extra 3rd or 4th and 5th. I believe the talent is close to even between 15-20. Combine coming up so that thinking may change. Also the X factor is say a top talent falls do to whatever sports hernia for example. That can always change your thinking.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    If I could drop back to 20-25 and knew for sure I could get S Calvin Pryor from Louisville and a 3rd round pick, I'd do it in a heart beat. I am so close to saying, just draft him at 15.
    or an eric ebron

I love the idea of trading back this year

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Seriously, when was the last time the Steelers traded down in the first round? I can remember them trading up a couple of times but never down.
    If my memory serves me right we traded down with the Giants the year we too Stonio

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If only one QB is taken in picks 1-14, then I would entertain a trade down as the players I want would more than likely be gone. The extra picks could potentially become a nice start to rebuilding this defense. If we got a top rated CB or S at the end of round one and Jordan Matthews in the second, that would be a nice coup. Then go front seven in round three.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    If we got a top rated CB or S at the end of round one and Jordan Matthews in the second, that would be a nice coup. Then go front seven in round three.
    that would make me extremely happy

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    If my memory serves me right we traded down with the Giants the year we too Stonio
    I think we traded up in '06 to draft Holmes?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    we traded up to 25, we had 32.

and before that we traded up for troy.

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe last trade down was for Hampton, from 16 to 19

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I believe last trade down was for Hampton, from 16 to 19
    Correct. I believe that was the last time the Steelers traded down in the first.

The Steelers traded up to draft Holmes. Interesting bit of trivia - one of the players selected by the Giants with the picks they got for Holmes was Guy Whimper.

I found a history of the Steelers trades on the site that shall not be named. When they trade down, it's often in the second round to acquire more third round picks. The only team I'm aware of that has multiple third rounders this year is the Browns. If the Steelers gave up 45 to the Browns, it would return 71 and 83 (with maybe additional picks). The multiple third rounds has yielded talent some years - Wallace, Keenan Lewis and Urbik, and not so much in others (Willie Reid/Anthony Smith).