Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on trading down

Backup

User Info Menu

Thoughts on trading down

Considering that the first 10 or 12 choices are pretty much set in stone, what is the feeling about trading down in the upcoming draft? I notice that the Jets and SF both have an extra pick in round 3 in addition to the 49ers extra in round 2. It seems to me that the lower 20 choices are all about the same level of talent so trading down with the Jets for their 5th choice in the 3rd round ( from Tampa Bay ) would be very enticing. Granted that they would be more likely to give up their 16th in that round rather than the 5th, I think they might go for it. From what I read the Jets are probably going WR to help out Geno so they wouldn't affect any of our defensive selections.
    Checking the draft- pick value chart I think it could work.
    Any opinions????

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hate trading down this year. They need quality over quantity. The team has some nice depth at several positions, but a lot of role players. The lack of star power is very disheartening.

Completely disagree that the first 10 picks are set in stone though.

3, maybe 4 could go in the top ten. (Teddy, Johnny, Carr, Bortles) Im not sold on the latter two climbing that high though
    2 tackles In robinson and matthews
    1 WR in Watkins
    1 DE in clowney
    2 OLBs in Barr and Mack
    Possibly Dennard as the top man to man CB, on par with Haden or Claiborne as a prospect imo

Then a few guys that have a big few months ahead of them...martin, kouandjio, evans, benjamin, ebron, jerningan, ealy, hageman, clinton dix, mosely.

Still a whole lot to be decided in the draft process. They should stay put, or even move up for watkins and take the offense to a new level

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd also prefer to stay put. As KTrain mentioned, there are a lot of QBs that could go early, which should push some talented position players down the board. The Steelers should be in a position to take an impact player at 15, and regardless of the side of the ball, I'd like to see them grab an impact guy.

Another consideration is that the Jets and Ravens have a lot of the same needs as the Steelers. If there is a guy the Steelers really want, they should have their pick. If they could pull off a Casey Hampton type trade - move down a few slots, pick up a third, and still get their guy, I would be ok with that. But I'd prefer them to grab an impact player.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that the Steelers generally view their draft prospects differently than we fans do (Shocking, I know). I think that they really zero in on guys who they like, while fans believe that it doesn't matter if you drop back 5-10 spots because the talent level is pretty equal. This was the case in 2007, the year that they drafted Timmons - also picking 15th. Fans were saying that there was not much of a difference between Timmons, Jarvis Moss, Anthony Spencer, Leon Hall, Joe Staley etc., so drop back five spots and grab whoever is left. It looks at this point that the team targeted Timmons (although I'm sure they would have gone Willis had he still been there) and were not willing to take the chance that he would be gone and they might be looking at Spencer or Moss at LB.

The only way I see them trading back is if their man crush is with a guy who is below the radar at 15. I don't know who that would be, but it looks like there is plenty of talent throughout the first three rounds or so of this draft, and it would be nice to grab an extra third rounder or better.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The steelers wanted Revis or Carriker that year, timmons was probably their #3 and when the jets moved up they were ok with just taking him

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think that the Steelers generally view their draft prospects differently than we fans do (Shocking, I know). I think that they really zero in on guys who they like, while fans believe that it doesn't matter if you drop back 5-10 spots because the talent level is pretty equal. This was the case in 2007, the year that they drafted Timmons - also picking 15th. Fans were saying that there was not much of a difference between Timmons, Jarvis Moss, Anthony Spencer, Leon Hall, Joe Staley etc., so drop back five spots and grab whoever is left. It looks at this point that the team targeted Timmons (although I'm sure they would have gone Willis had he still been there) and were not willing to take the chance that he would be gone and they might be looking at Spencer or Moss at LB.

The only way I see them trading back is if their man crush is with a guy who is below the radar at 15. I don't know who that would be, but it looks like there is plenty of talent throughout the first three rounds or so of this draft, and it would be nice to grab an extra third rounder or better.
    Interesting to look back at that draft. At the time, OLB was viewed as a need. There was only an unproven James Harrison to replace Joey Porter. The Steelers could have traded back with any sort of mixed bag of results. Drafting Jarvis Moss would have been an unmitigated disaster. But Staley would have worked out well, and I'm not sure that any of us would have complained about Spencer or Leon Hall.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I could drop back to 20-25 and knew for sure I could get S Calvin Pryor from Louisville and a 3rd round pick, I'd do it in a heart beat. I am so close to saying, just draft him at 15.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Seriously, when was the last time the Steelers traded down in the first round? I can remember them trading up a couple of times but never down.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think I would have to sit tight...at least until a pick or two before 15..just in case one of those "Can't miss" picks happen to slip to us... like one of those franchise Left Tackles I keep hearing about. I think we need to go Defense... but would be open to picking up a perennial pro bowler...regardless of the position.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Seriously, when was the last time the Steelers traded down in the first round? I can remember them trading up a couple of times but never down.
    I think people say it because it sounds cool...lol. Every year someone says trade down and predict we should become a big player in FA.