Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starkey: Steelers must rebuild 'Stained Curtain'

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not too long ago the Steelers and Rats were the dominant D's that everyone else aspired to be. Seattle had to build their D as well. We had a hell of a run and are rebuilding. I respect what Seattle has built, but they are not the second coming. Have we drafted well or made all the right choices regarding free agents and aging vets? No. But I think the Steelers have proven to have a pretty damn good formula.
    Last edited by NW Steeler; 02-06-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    Not too long ago the Steelers and Rats were the dominant D's that everyone else aspired to be. Seattle had to build their D as well. We had a hell of a run and are rebuilding. I respect what Settle has built, but they are not the second coming. Have we drafted well or made all the right choices regarding free agents and aging vets? No. But I think the Steelers have proven to have a pretty damn good formula.
    Maybe we are spoiled but I haven't been impressed with this D for a long time. We had decent stats when it came to yards but I've always wanted our D to return to blitzburgh and have the rep for hitting and gang tackling. Haven't seen it in for a while...

It's been a long time since teams feared our D. They respected us for our zone blitz but I'm talking about FEARING us due to our physical style of ball.

I think most are frustrated because everyone claimed it was the new rules that hurt our rep as a hard hitting team but you turn around and see teams roughing us up like we used to do and then it clicks.. it's not the rules.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think it's a combination of poor prospecting and poor player development. Jarvis Jones is just another example of a scary trend.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz;591992[I
    ][/I]Maybe we are spoiled but I haven't been impressed with this D for a long time. We had decent stats when it came to yards but I've always wanted our D to return to blitzburgh and have the rep for hitting and gang tackling. Haven't seen it in for a while...

It's been a long time since teams feared our D. They respected us for our zone blitz but I'm talking about FEARING us due to our physical style of ball.

I think most are frustrated because everyone claimed it was the new rules that hurt our rep as a hard hitting team but you turn around and see teams roughing us up like we used to do and then it clicks.. it's not the rules.
    I would certainly agree with that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    DEAD ON ARTICLE. Don't need to elaborate, just read what is there.
    I'm pretty much with you Sid..

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Exactly,...it's a cop out. Instead of facing the fact head on that we have been drafting poorly for years thereby neglecting proper 'preventative maintenance',.......it's a matter of the "hiding their head's in the sand" excuses.

"The league this,.the rules that,...Goodell is Satan. Dick lebeau is senile ! Mike Tomlin is the Coaching equivalent of Christ ! How can our operators dare to allow nature to catch up with them physically ?!" smh

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

Bingo. It's not the rules. Other teams have adjusted just fine to the rules. We haven't.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Steelers upgrade defensive front seven with C. J. Mosley

By Neal Coolong on Feb 18 2014

Arguments can be made whether Mosley will be gone or available when the Steelers go on the clock.

The Steelers should be locked in on the defensive side of the ball. Defensive back can be upgraded, but I think adding Mosley next to Lawrence Timmons would allow Troy Polamalu to play in the deeper portions of the field and keep everything in front. Mosley has always had the range and awareness in coverage, but he attacks blockers better than given credit for. The Sean Lee comparisons are real.

The question is only whether Mosley falls to 15. San Francisco LB Patrick Willis fell to 15 and he was a better athlete coming out of college than Mosley is. Having that dependable and outstanding middle-inside linebacker is an underrated component of a great defense, and one teams don't necessarily want to invest in, until they need it.

Mosley could end up simply being the best player available for the Steelers. Then again, he may not even be there. He's definitely a guy to watch on draft day.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014-nfl-mock-drafts/2014/2/18/5421754/2014-nfl-mock-draft-steelers-upgrade-defensive-front-seven-with-c-j[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I just don't see any negatives with drafting Mosley at 15.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    I just don't see any negatives with drafting Mosley at 15.
    He's not a tall receiver and that makes him the wrong guy right there, haven't you been reading this forum at all?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount