Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tackle the catch? Seahawks dominated that way

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

Well we could agree to disagree....But the link you used to help your argument supports mine.

It was a combination of things. [URL="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/9/20/4747480/richard-sherman-nfl-darelle-revis-seahawks-cornerback"]The Seahawks' well-known secondary[/URL] certainly did their part to limit Brees and the Saints' explosive passing game, but with a well-rounded and resourceful offense like that of New Orleans, you really need a solid effort from every positional group on the defense to throw a wrench in the Saints' gears. Seattle's versatile front seven played a huge role in this. Basically, with Brees unable to pass deep against [URL="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/131657/richard-sherman"]Richard Sherman[/URL], [URL="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108652/earl-thomas"]Earl Thomas[/URL], and the rest of secondary with much effectiveness, Sean Payton and the Saints turned to their trusty intermediate and short passing game. Seattle's linebacking corps and defensive line completely shut that down as well.
    I feel you... and I'm not saying our DB's are as good as Seattle (obviously) but I think the front 7 helps them tremendously and even if they had our 4 guys back there Peyton wouldn't pick them apart. Dude was struggling to step into throws and his completions were basically screen passes. It's not like he had all day to throw like Brady did when he played us.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I feel you... and I'm not saying our DB's are as good as Seattle (obviously) but I think the front 7 helps them tremendously and even if they had our 4 guys back there Peyton wouldn't pick them apart. Dude was struggling to step into throws and his completions were basically screen passes. It's not like he had all day to throw like Brady did when he played us.
    I agree...There is no doubt the front 7 helps the back end...That is achieved through balance. When I see a 3-5 step QB patting the ball & going to his 2nd, 3rd, & 4th read...That tells me the guys aren't coming open & that allows the rush to get there. When the D is playing off man or just not very good in man...He isn't patting the ball or it is coming out on his second read...The rush never gets there. That has been script we have seen over the last couple years when we play the "pocket passers".

We will leave it at that. We both agree they need help in the front & back end. We just see the importance of what need to be done first with this roster in reverse. I have no dounts they need new faces at FS & CB in 2014. They could use an upgrade at NT & ILB but they have serviceable pieces there for 2014 if the get the FS & CB. I just don't see the reverse of new faces at NT & ILB having an impact with the same 4 faces in the secondary. I think my scenario gets them into the playoffs to make a run...I think the other scenario is another 8-8 or worse. That's my opinion.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

I agree...There is no doubt the front 7 helps the back end...That is achieved through balance. When I see a 3-5 step QB patting the ball & going to his 2nd, 3rd, & 4th read...That tells me the guys aren't coming open & that allows the rush to get there. When the D is playing off man or just not very good in man...He isn't patting the ball or it is coming out on his second read...The rush never gets there. That has been script we have seen over the last couple years when we play the "pocket passers".

We will leave it at that. We both agree they need help in the front & back end. We just see the importance of what need to be done first with this roster in reverse. I have no dounts they need new faces at FS & CB in 2014. They could use an upgrade at NT & ILB but they have serviceable pieces there for 2014 if the get the FS & CB. I just don't see the reverse of new faces at NT & ILB having an impact with the same 4 faces in the secondary. I think my scenario gets them into the playoffs to make a run...I think the other scenario is another 8-8 or worse. That's my opinion.

I prefer NT/ILB high in the draft and FS & CB through FA. I don't think there is a FS & CB could draft that would start day 1.

Legend

User Info Menu

I prefer NT/ILB high in the draft and FS & CB through FA. I don't think there is a FS & CB could draft that would start day 1.

Is there any defensive player we would draft who starts Day 1? Day 2? Day 3? Etc?

Everyone thought that J Jones was that player and we saw how that worked didn't we. Everyone though "Shark" would be on the field, how'd that work? Don't need to spend pick #15 on another "watch and learn and get bigger" player when you can get someone who could really contribute his rookie year.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Is there any defensive player we would draft who starts Day 1? Day 2? Day 3? Etc?

Everyone thought that J Jones was that player and we saw how that worked didn't we. Everyone though "Shark" would be on the field, how'd that work? Don't need to spend pick #15 on another "watch and learn and get bigger" player when you can get someone who could really contribute his rookie year.
    I don't think the Steelers expect any rookie to come in and play from day 1. I think you just have to take the best football player you can find and play him when he's ready.

I do think if we drafted a NT, ILB, or FS at 15, they would get a legit shot to compete if they were ready to play.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Id like them to give malcolm jenkins and donte whitner a look

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Do you think a TE or WR will start on day one? I doubt it. While I do believe its easier to get PT on O but impact? I doubt it.

I remember asking you about Eifert and you pretty much forgave his lack of production because he was a second option. I understand your frustration with our D but you cant bash JJ for a lack of impact while ho humming a guy you trumped as a can't miss at TE.

I definitely think an NT or ILB could start on day one because we don't have much in front of them.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-06-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ebron would work the slot more than he would be a "TE"...its adding a big weapon, not just another TE.

He would be less risky than Evans or Benjamin imo.....Moncreif in 2 is my favorite scenario though <3

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Ebron would work the slot more than he would be a "TE"...its adding a big weapon, not just another TE.

He would be less risky than Evans or Benjamin imo.....Moncreif in 2 is my favorite scenario though <3
    Sorry but I don't see it when looking at our needs. I know his QB was suspect but 3TD's in the ACC? No thanks.

Every year we hear about this beast TE because of what NE was able to do but as long as we have Miller its a wasted pick IMO.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

miller clearly wasnt himself last year, id expect him to bounce back and haley LOVES him.....but hes not getting any younger.

I think the offense needs a weapon to help brown out, the team is going nowhere force feeding it to antonio. THats just what he is, a weapon. I am very high on Ebron and ASJ, but ASJ is more of a TE which would be a wasted pick, Ebron is more of a WR that we can call a TE and pay him less