Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defense vs Offense in the Draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Defense vs Offense in the Draft

The more I think about the draft, the more torn I am. We've definitely got to upgrade our D, but we might get the best long term bang for the buck if we got get Ben a big WR and another TE and shore up the OLine.

Improving our strength may be the quickest path to SuperBowl 7. And just let our current defenders develop, add some FAs, and draft some solid depth for the long haul on the D side of the ball.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

For the first time in a long time I am not screaming OLINE!!! Although if someone falls I won't cry if we go OLINE. BUT this team needs a WR and a TE and the rest can go to DEFENSE!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    For the first time in a long time I am not screaming OLINE!!! Although if someone falls I won't cry if we go OLINE. BUT this team needs a WR and a TE and the rest can go to DEFENSE!!
    My exact same position. Get the impact player at WR or TE in Round 1 and then go defense the rest of the way.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    My exact same position. Get the impact player at WR or TE in Round 1 and then go defense the rest of the way.
    In this draft, there are impact WR's for round two. Keenan Allen was drafted last year in round 3.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    In this draft, there are impact WR's for round two. Keenan Allen was drafted last year in round 3.
    Could say the same thing about every defensive position too

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I don't understand. You guys don't think AB is an impact player? He's not a #1 WR?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I don't understand. You guys don't think AB is an impact player? He's not a #1 WR?
    Its not that AB isn't an impact player. I think he will be the #1 WR for the future. But adding an additional impact player on offense would be great...In my opinion a redzone target like Benjamin is what the offense needs.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO he is a #1, but to prevent teams from focusing on him and taking him away you need a very strong #2 option in the passing game. You can do that with another front line WR like Mike Evans or Marquis Lee or an athletic pass catching TE like Eric Ebron. It just makes it that much harder for the opposing team to focus on stopping AB.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't get it either... AB put up crazy numbers with Cotch and a pathetic Sanders (to hear them tell it).

I have no problem drafting a WR in the second but it would be crazy to go WR in the first. It would be bats@#t crazy to go TE in the first as well.

All these complaints about the D and people want to go WR? So we can "outscore" opponents in this fake, pass happy NFL?

Nah.. go D or go home. We can't outscore teams if they are running it down our throats eating up clock.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers philosophy in first has nothing to do with need. It is about their board. Taking a WR in the first says nothing about what they feel is their largest need. If there is a WR rated higher than any defensive player....The pick is easy.

Remember one thing people. Colbert's predraft talk every year he says the same thing. The Steelers like to go into a draft with no NEEDS...Only WANTS. If a player is there that fits a NEED the pick is easier if the grade is close. Look at our draft history. Guys have fell who we didn't think would be there & fit a need...Pick was made. Guys were there that fit a need but the Steelers stayed true to their board & took BPA. If you have been around long enough...You know this is true.